3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: String silencers-------> performance??  (Read 596 times)

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
String silencers-------> performance??
« on: July 27, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
How do string silencers such as the rubber "cat whiskers" compare to a product like Hush Puppies as far as sound dampening and performance.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: String silencers-------> performance??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
It probably depends on bow and string type. I don't use the rubber ones as I just don't like the looks. Fur and the yarn type work well for me. As far as losing speed, I dunno, and don't care if I lose a couple fps. I would shoot one of those things with wheels if I wanted speed.

There was an article in TBM several issues ago about several types of silencers and there performance. You might look that up. Pretty good article. I don't remember what issue though.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline archer66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
Thanks!!!  I don't care a whole lot about speed either or I wouldn't be shooting a bow that's 40 pounds at 25 inches!!  lol.
1966 Bear Kodiak Magnum
52"
40# @ 25"

Black Widow SIW
56"
51# @ 25.5"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
By and large heavier will rob more performance especially as it moves toward the middle of the string.

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
My Cari-bow Peregrine with SBD string needs no silencers at all.... spookey quiet..
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:11:00 PM »
With the human eye, you won't see any noticable loss in feet per second between rubber cat whiskers and yarn wool puffs.

But, my ears can hear the difference from when I was using cat whiskers and yarn puffs. The yarn puffs made my bow quieter than with the cat whiskers upon arrow release.

Food for thought.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
The string silencer test is in the June/July 2009 issue of Traditional Bowhunter Magazine. The author tested several types of silencers and listed the decibals and fps in a little chart.

Rubber whiskers were only .7 of a decibal quieter than beaver fur, but the beaver fur silenced bow was a tad faster. (6 fps)

He used the same bow for all his tests. Pretty interesting article.

He also states that a shooters form and release can have an impact on bow noise.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline Hopewell Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 05:20:00 PM »
The TBM article favored the Cat Whiskers, I think. Don't mean to hijack the thread, but does the length of the Cat Whisker make a difference? Mostly everyone trims theirs, but is that for looks or performance? Placement is supposed to be important, with the 1/3 placing better that the 1/4 position. More to it than just material?
I like the sound (pun intended) of no silencers, Dutchy.
TOM

WHAT EACH OF US DOES IS OF ULTIMATE IMPORTANCE.
Wendell Berry

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
I'm quite partial to beaver silencers myself and make my own from strips of tanned beaver pelts. I'm going to try raccon and see how they hold up as well. I'm just kind of a fan of all natural material I guess? I like using what God gave us whenever possible.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 10:01:00 PM »
I've got rubber whiskers and like them. Although, it helps that my bow is pretty quiet to begin with.

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
I use the hush puppies on a 59# 'curve, and when I go to a tournament, everyone raves about how quiet my bow is. These are people who have nice, new, very high dollar trad bows. I do not use anything in the string grooves, and no brush buttons - just hush puppies.

Of course I shoot a 600+ grain arrow and a B50 string too. But I'm sold on the hush puppies.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »
I like the rubber cat whiskers.

In terms of speed, I will take quiet over speed any day.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline graybarkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
i got my SBD string in the mail yesterday with 2 puff balls and yarn on both ends and its rrrrrridiculoulsy quiet. the string i took off (replaced)had 2 rubber cat whiskers and it sounded like a wheelie when i shot it. sure both will work but im sold on my SBD!  my 2 cent

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
I like cat whiskers for several reasons.  They don't hold moisture, scent, or burrs.  They work better than anything I've tried--SVL has made a fortune (literally) from silencing products made from rubber.

Two big mistakes I see with cat whiskers:  One, people leave them way too long.  Too long can produce it's own noice.  Two, they aren't installed properly.  They should be tied on around the string, so they can be tuned.  Moving the silencer up or down the string just an inch or so can make a big difference with some bows.  The silencers have a "sweet spot" just like the brace height--you tune them for the best results.

Properly installed and tuned, it normally only takes a small set for great results.

Chad

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:16:00 AM »
I use and favor CAT WHISKERS. I use " Cool Cats" they come in 14 colors so they can match any set up.

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »
The heavier the silencer, the more it will slow the string down; but I've never been able to see any appreciable difference.  I don't like all the movement with cat whiskers; maybe I had them too long.  I do like wool puffs or string leeches; both work equally well for me at 1/3 points.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 07:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by archer66:
How do string silencers such as the rubber "cat whiskers" compare to a product like Hush Puppies as far as sound dampening and performance.
Just a little something else to consider in overall performance tuning... in the instructions to his dynamic spine calculator, Stu Miller points out,   "If using multiple or extra heavy string silencers on your bow then the required dynamic arrow spine will be slightly reduced.  Subtract 2# from the bows required dynamic spine number."
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
Here's the kind of performance the gals at BowHush like to hear about their Hush Puppies....

BowHush - Hush Puppie Performance Charts
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Kapellmeister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 09:54:00 AM »
I love my Hush Puppies!... they're on all my bows...  I'd trade 1 or 2 fps for a quiet shot any day!
Gene

~ s.D.g. ~

68" Osage Orange Selfbow 55@28
68" Hill Half-Breed 55@28
64" Schafer Silvertip 1pc Longbow 50@28
58" Shrew Classic Hunter 49@28

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
I've tried a lot of different things, from spiders to otter to wool. Wool works best for me. I still have a little string slap "thump" that I want to quiet down, but it's already pretty quiet.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©