3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whip'd by Toelke  (Read 519 times)

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Whip'd by Toelke
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Oh my brudders.  I waxed on and on a few weeks ago about ordering myself a Whip from Mr's. Toelke over in Ronan, MT.  You may recall my exuberance (sp?), excitement about my second trip to his place and my wife's UNBELIEVABLE comment "You should just order one."  I have reminded her that "You actually did say that to me!"  So, since I didn't need to hear it twice, I called Dan after we got back and did what she told me, like a good husband should.  And so the other day, I speak again with Mr. T. and asked if he had received the necessary fundage that I sent and he said "I'll be shooting it tomorrow night".  Wha?  Synapses in my brain were all googly after that.  A few days later the man says to me "It will be shipping tomorrow", again with the googliness on my part.  On Monday, I get a note from the USPS saying "...couldn't deliver, nobody home"  I mean SHEESH, I gotta work!  So my wife picked up said package yesterday and when I got home from work last night, I uncorked the long tube and released MY, MINE, ALL MINE new custom bow, a 62" Toelke Whip, 53# @ 28" named MTB.  MTB means "Meant to be" which is also our initials and signifies also that it was meant to be that this bow should be mine, that I should stop trying to go cheap and shoot bows that just aren't quite right for me and my shooting style.  Believe you me, first shots from my Whip and my immediate comment was "Oh Baby!" as in holy, holy, holy good gosh a-mighty this Whip Shoots and I am a changed man.  Trad. baby, Trad to the core, new stick in hand, ready to conquer a portion of the local Duluth deer herd, badly in need of some culling and I are the TomBow what needs to help out where I can as I feed myself, my wife and others on the high quality lean venison.

The bow is Macassar Ebony core with Dark Myrtle limb veneers and She, like my wife, is Drop Dead Gourgeous!  Pictures are coming soon. Just wanted to again spout my joy, I am sure many of you know just exactly what I am saying.

Love my new bow.  Love my wife more.

Your brudder,
TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whip'd by Toelke
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Those without pics will be keelhauled from this point forward.

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:10:00 PM »
Tombow, I must second Lamey's comment, However, I am a 3 Bow Toelke Owner and Bruddah, I know how ya feel  :)
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
DUDE WHERES THE PICS?????????
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 07:13:00 PM »
Just got my second t/d whip last week.  Can't say what hasn't already been said many times over.  Dan and Jarrod are very helpful and full of knowledge.  Montana Bows are definately in my top three.  They draw smooth as butter...

One interesting thing I've noticed about Dan's bows is how narrow the limbs are right out of the riser.  Slightly over an inch and being so light I'm wondering how well a quiver will mount and how it will balance.  Any comments?

Congrats!

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
You've been "Whipped"....and I can relate.  Best LB I've ever owned or shot....when I wear this one out there'll be another.

Keith - I'm shooting mine with a Big Jim's 5 arrow quiver on it and I've got some noise in the gripper unit of the quiver that I'm trying to quiet down....I'm thinking it may be the shafts themselves....am trying to isolate the noise, but I may end up going to an Eagles Flight quiver for this bow and move the Big Jim's to my Cold Mountain bow.  I've added a piece of felt between the rubber mount/strap but that's not it....supposed to shoot with some friends this weekend so a set of eyes on the quiver while I shoot should help me find it.  **Edited to say problem was in the grippers...had put some woods in it for a test awhile back...they wallered out the small diameter grippers so the arrows are rattlin' when I shoot.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
I'm a lifelong Whip fan. Dan is also very willing to help over the phone. I sent him an email the other day and he responded with a call and walked me through a few things. Excellent bows and excellent guy to deal with.

Can't wait to see pics. I love dark bows.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:18:00 PM »
I've been whipped twice. I've tried some of his other bows too (recurve and LB), but his 2pc whip is my fave, my bff.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
Ya'll are gonna make it hard when a 62" 2pc hits the classifieds I can tell.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
So Tom, how do like that grip?! I think Dan has a unique grip in the bow world today. It really works for me!
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
I've been Curlewed, Classic Whipped, a D Whipped, always happy with a Toelke in my hands.

I remember a coversation I had with Dan about his D bows, he was really hot on them. About 2 years after that talk, I bought one from him. Fantastic shooter and an amazing looker.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:00 AM »
I KNEW that I'd catch a rash from not posting pics.  I enjoyed shooting his D's but sometimes I need to be WHIPed.  Nyuk, Nyuk, Nyuk!

The grip is like nothing else I've put my hands on, so natural relating to normal hand position.  When I stick my arm out with a relaxed hand, my thumb is slightly above my pointer-knuckle and MTB's grip just perfectly matches that position.  Seriously, I shot her a few times and "Oh BABY!" Sa-ha-ha-WEEET!
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 02:00:00 PM »
TomBow,

I'm going to post my new myrtle vaneers if you don't hurry up!

It appears to me that bowyers and wood choices have cyclical trends.  I'm a beginner, but my observation is that Big Jim introduced those tiger myrtle TC's and it kindled a real interest with many trad folk.  I know it did for me.

I really like the myrtle vaneers as it has a very natural camo to it, however, now having owned one I'm kind of over it.  This addiction borders on lunacy!  I'm starting to get the whats next shakes...Bubinga, ebony, cocobola...

~CB
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline bryan r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
I think we lost Tom.    :archer2:

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 12:43:00 PM »
Fine, now see what you've done.... I have to sell my L/H Toelke 1Pc Recurve and my I Pc Chinook to Pay for the 2 Toelke's I Just ORDERED.... A T/D Whip and a T/D Chinook , I got all caught up in the moment and this thread   :)   Oh Whathave I done....   :)    Tu Compades, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 12:59:00 PM »
Originally posted by Chromebuck:
TomBow,

I'm going to post my new myrtle vaneers if you don't hurry up!

It appears to me that bowyers and wood choices have cyclical trends.  I'm a beginner, but my observation is that Big Jim introduced those tiger myrtle TC's and it kindled a real interest with many trad folk.  I know it did for me.

I really like the myrtle vaneers as it has a very natural camo to it, however, now having owned one I'm kind of over it.  This addiction borders on lunacy!  I'm starting to get the whats next shakes...Bubinga, ebony, cocobola...

~CB
Norm at Blacktail Bows has been using myrtlewood veneers forever. Of course he lives in myrtlewood country out here along the southern Oregon coast.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline SwampWarrior

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
Pm sent
60" Moab 55@28"

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Congrats Tom.  I agree, the Toelke's make some awesome bows.  Cant go wrong!!

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
He makes an awesome bow, and is also a very nice person. Congratulations on your new bow. I am sure the quality is top notch. The whip is on my list of must haves. I am envious.

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
People--
I finally caveman'd my way through Photobucket
got sumpin' fer yer eyes.....
the first look

a little sunlight on the handle
a little left riser
a little right handle
a little lower limb in dark myrtle