3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Dull Snuffers  (Read 360 times)

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Dull Snuffers
« on: July 27, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
I bought a package of 125 grain screw in Snuffers. They look like a good head but I can't get them sharp enough to my likeing which is able to shave hair off my arm.

Upon removing one from the package they came in I marked each blade edge with a black magic marker. Then using my palm sander with 100 grit paper I sanded each balde until the magic marker was sanded off. I then worked to 150 grit and then on to 220 grit then to a stone and worked on them till I got frustrated and gave up. I even tried another head using a bastard file that I layed on the bench top and filed the edges down till the magic marker was all filed away. Now these are quite a bit sharper than when they came out of the package but IMHO they are no way near sharp enough to shoot any animals with.

I have read and watch tutorials on how to sharpen Snuffers but I can't get them sharp.

What am I doing wrong?   :knothead:
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Dull Snuffers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
You will get lots of responses to this question, but the video tutorial on 3Rivers archery website is the best I've seen on sharpening snuffers and woodsman broadheads. I kinda use the same method that they show, but modified it for my own preferrence. Rather than the big file to set the edge on a new snuffer, I use a belt sander with 80 grit belt and lightly "Touch" the flat edge of 2 inside edges lightly then rotate and repeat until all edges have been set. Then I finish up with a small bastard file with the last few strokes being very light and barely taking anything at all off the edge. Mine get razor sharp and would be what some guys refer to as "Hair popping" sharp. That's the way I like em.

If you decide you don't want them anymore I might be able to trade you something for them? Provided you haven't taken too much off the edges already.

Good luck.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline Cane Knife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
I bought that "CC" 3 blade sharpener from 3Rivers and it works just fine for me.  Pass trus on a couple pigs.  Super easy and fast so good enough.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
You need to get a burr on the edges or you will never get them sharp. The marker is helpful but if you don't feel a burr you haven't worked the edge enough.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I'll try again tomorrow. See if I can raise a burr. This story isn't finished yet...lol
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
Larry,

It can be hard to find a file wide enough to do as the 3Rivers video for snuffers.  Instead, file across the 2 flats of the BH.  Start at the rear and in one swipe file the flats to the front.  Rotate on each pass.  This step is to make the flats true - very important.  You won't begin an edge until they are true.  If you have some KME stones or similar pull the head back to front tip towards you, again rotating on each pass. Start with a coarse stone and progress through grits.  Afterwards if you have apiece of lether strop the same way.  Put a little grit on the leather - flitz polish, toothpaste, etc.

Another method I use is first a file, then a 3 sided Jewelstick, finally a sharpening steel - all across the blades.

Remember, the most important part is trueing up the blades to start.  After that they sharpen up very easily.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 09:43:00 PM »
Getting the marker filed away is the important first step to get a flat bevel. After that, stones should be able to get them shaving sharp.

The main thing is to get it flat: otherwise your stones won't be contacting most of the blade and they won't sharpen. It might take some time. I have the same problem with my woodsmans. I've flattened them out with the file and now I'm using light strokes. even with just the file they're cutting hair.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »
The only advice I can give is to make sure you don't use too much pressure. Once you have the edges flat only the weight of the head is needed to apply pressure to the stone. I think almost all sharpening problems are due to pressure.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:44:00 PM »
I have used a Snuffer Tamer.  It will get 'em sharper than sharp, but it does take a lot of material off.  YOu can learn how to do it with files.  Remember light strokes towards the end.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Check out the video on youtube that Magnus done on how to sharpen the snuffers. Looks pretty easy to me.
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 02:29:00 PM »
Snuffer Tamer!!! Easy as pie to shave hair.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 04:00:00 PM »
I've been messing around with that same head a little bit today. It still needs more work. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Offline igiveup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:00 PM »
good luck i cant sharpen those things ither

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
I run my snuffers backwards over two files that I have mounted to a board till they get a burr on them them. Then I pull them backwards over a ceramic stick with very very light pressure till the burr falls off. WOW look out!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
like Bigbadjohn said, be sure you are not using too much pressure. A lot of " sharpening impaired" people try to muscle an edge onto the blade instead of letting the stone or file do the work.

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Hey everyone I was able to finally get 2 heads shaving sharp. Thank you all for the helpful tips.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 01:46:00 PM »
Larry,

So what did you change to get it to work?

Snakeeater
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 03:24:00 PM »
I started by using a black magic marker on each cutting edge. Then being very patient and telling myself not to rush,I placed a bastard file flat on my bench and dragged  the Snuffer backwards using very light pressure until all the magic marker was filed off.By then there were considerable burrs on the edges. Then using the same method except no magic marker I worked the Snuffer on a Fine stone. The next step I stropped each edge on a piece of leather with some Mothers Metal Polish on it. The two main tricks are to use very little pressure and to tell your self to take your time, there's no rush.Being a person living in northern NJ(it seems like most of us around here are always in a big hurry) the hardest thing for me to do was to slow myself W A Y  down and to keep myself patient.

Any way that's it. All the tips I received were helpful and maybe the steps I just used will be helpful to another person.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©