3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backup Bow  (Read 461 times)

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
Backup Bow
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I know most of us have a backup bow just in case something happens to your main bow.I have a few questions.Is your backup the exact model of your #1 bow,is it a set of limbs for a takedown,do you ever shoot it or is it a true backup? If it's not the same model is the grip different?Have you ever needed it? Just wondering,thanks.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backup Bow
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
I don't have a "back up bow".  I have a bunch of bows that I like and shoot a lot, and one or two that shoot more than the others.  I typically grab one of those two when I go to the woods, but I could not, in good faith, describe any of my bows as back up bows.
Silence is golden.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
I too, do NOT, have a true back up bow.   I do travel with a spare set of limbs and string for my primary hunting bow.  

I do have a couple of other bows that i shoot regularly and that shoot with the same arrows.  One reason i dont have an exact duplicate is, well, quite honestly, if i want to spend money on a bow, i would rather have something different.  

I have never needed it, but having a bow as a back up is a great idea.  I would say, however, you have to think over your hunting situation.  

If you are hunting a local woodlot and can get home in a reasonable amount of time, then i would only bring a spare string.  

If you are driving a considerable distance, or paying big bucks for an "out of area" hunt,  I would bring another bow, or two, maybe even three.

If you own a takedown, work the classifieds for a spare set of limbs.  

Good luck and let us know how what you decide.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 11:54:00 PM »
Tricia and I each have matching weight and model bows from the same bowyer.  They are intentionally used as back up bows.  We shoot both of our bows year round.  We also have two extra strings shot in for each bow.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 12:30:00 AM »
If I travel far from my home for a bowhunt, both of my bows in my signature go with me.

Lately, I've begun to shoot my 37# recurve more.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline RLA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 01:08:00 AM »
I have two Border recurves one is ilf, one is standard take down. They are close to the same in all other ways. I also have two different arrow & bh set-ups. I can't decide witch bow I wanna shoot? I guess I'll hunt both! Flip a coin I guess?

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
I'm on the side of the fence that I have a few bows that I shoot often & a couple that I shoot more than others.

My go to bows for hunting are different brands & design but they have similar shooting traits that make them almost perfect cousins.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
I also do not have a true back-up bow. If I am hunting a ways from home, I always take two bows that shoot the same arrows. Extra set-up strings also are in my pack, as well as extra judo's and BH's.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 08:18:00 AM »
I guess you can say that i have a matching set, both in weight and model from the same bowyer, but one set of limb/riser makes a 56" bow, one a 58" bow. I also have some 60" limbs as a back up to both.  So I guess you can say I don't actually have an exact duplicate.

I practice with both bows about the same amount, but the longer one is used strictly as my back up bow when hunting.  

Both bows shoot the same two batches of arrows pretty much the same also.  One set of arrows is lighter (536 grains) that I use for 3d and technohunt (I'll also use the longer bow more for this), and the other set is about 50 grains heavier that I use for hunting whether it be deer or elk.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
I have two Pronghorn Longbows there only one pound difference between the two, they shoot the same arrows.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »
I reckon I've not got enough back-up bows; my wife thinks differently.

Mine aren't true back-ups. I use them as the mood hits. Sometimes I'm in a Hill mood, sometimes a Black Widow mood (currently) and sometimes a Schafer mood. Sometimes I'm in an old Bear mood.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
On a trip I always take a back up. Sometimes it's one bow with 2 sets of limbs,sometimes two different bows. This year I'm hunting with a Holm Osprey, and my back up is a Silvertip. Two totally different bows but they shoot and perform almost the same. Both like the same arrows, so I'm go to go!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 09:41:00 AM »
I have 3 bows that are all similar as to the grip and sight picture. I shoot all 3 frequently and mix and match as needed or wanted.

They are all different also as to length and poundage so I can adjust to a given situation and have a close back up.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »
I usually bring an extra bow, often times a totally different style with 3 or 4 broadhead tipped arrows, just in case.  Rarely have I ever needed it but get some comfort knowing its available if something happened to my primary.  If packing in somewhere I usually leave it in the vehicle at the trailhead.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
I carry a back up bow if I am traveling.
My backup bow and my go to bow are both the same make, model, length and weight.
I would hate to be hundreds of miles from home and miss out on a hunt.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 10:43:00 AM »
I’m comfortable with any bow I own, but this year I’m planning on using a recurve and longbow both the same draw weight.

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Right now I'm a one-bow guy, my new Widow PCH. I of course need a back up, and it'll eventually be a one-piece PTF, same length, with the same Asbell grip and maybe a slightly higher draw weight.

The Asbell grip is the best that I've ever held, for me. Having the exact same grip on both bows will be a distinct advantage going back and forth between them.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I shoot a longbow and have a backup recurve in a different weight. Shoot the same arrows out of both but change head weight.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
longbows here - never needed a back up, never needed a back up string either. I have two bows that will shoot the same arrow (real close anyway) that's all I want in my back up. I'm not bringing back up arrows for the back up bow. They also have the same length string but I need to twist or untwist a little to switch them and move the nock. The grips are different but I can shoot one and then the next without having issues. (I ordered another back up for the back up but don't tell!)

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Well, i'll be using my Dave Ricke recurve as my go to bow this year, then after that i have my back-ups in order as follows: My BigRiver, then my other BigRiver and my Next Bigriver, and then another BigRiver if those don't work, then just in case i have 2 more BigRivers on stand-by.  5 are longbows and one is a Curve.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©