3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bike Scout 2011  (Read 714 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Bike Scout 2011
« on: July 27, 2011, 10:43:00 PM »
I will start off this little story with full disclosure...I am spoiled to live and hunt where I do. I know this. There, I said it. I moved here because my wife was from here and thought "please don't throw me into the briarpatch" when she suggested we move back to her home county.

I train every summer for the chance to jump start my season with a hunt for mulies or elk out west. I run, bike and swim, train for a couple of sprint triathlons, and use my mountain bike for summer scouting. I cover about 10 miles a week on my fat tires and another 50 or so on my skinny ones. Here's the machines:

The great thing about traveling roads like these on my fat tires is that deer don't hear you coming. I can park my truck near an area I want to glass, ride my mountain bike in and get pretty ok pics and never really spook the deer.

I try to end up near my truck or home as darkness nears and more than once I have ended up with a eye or mouth full of bugs while trying to pedal back home with my headlamp on.

Sometimes this is all I get of a good buck. Ears, horns, etc but enough to know that a good one is there in July. What I have found is that if food is around in October (our opener is the 1st) then the bucks I glassed in July will be within a half mile of where they were. If food is not there I look for the nearest late green soybeans or fresh cut alfalfa or clover.
Mike Davenport

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bike Scout 2011
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »
I sprinted my last half mile buddy to get to this computer!! I know you got more.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 10:56:00 PM »
This year started out good! I had a little bear hunt planned with Stickflingers in Manitoba and that went ok   :)   I started my training late a bit portly from all the celebrating after my bear hunt. The first of July I started my riding and thinking about big mulies in WY. I also started thinking about training for my triathlon. The one I did with my wife 'bout whooped me last year.

Then 2 weeks ago I managed to glass what will become my goal for the year. The first pics are grainy and not good due to my camera fogging up in this 100 degree heat. A long ride, a fat triathlete, and a camera crammed in a camelback are not the best combo for good pics!

I spent alot more time riding the last 2 weeks and couldn't catch a break for the pics of "the one". Then coming home I nearly hit one of his buddies on the gravel road near my home. This would have been a cool pic if I had not been shaking.

Mike Davenport

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:58:00 PM »
I am an avid cyclist too and love riding roads and trails and sometimes seeing animals along the way. It looks like you live in a great place to bike. Thanks for the pictures. You and your wife are a very nice looking couple. Glad you are staying fit.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
So tonight, as I am prepping for a triathlon in 3 weeks,a elk/mulie adventure for 5 days with other Tradgangers in camp, and a move from my home near where this buck sleeps to another as good piece of heaven on the other side of the county, I decide to ride. Not a long one, just a couple of miles to clear my head near where I think a good one is. It's hot, I am soaking wet, but I bail into the property I have permission to hunt with a bottle of water, a power bar, and some fruit. Thermacell going and not a care in the world exept all the things mentioned above and the fact I am a spoiled man to live and hunt here.

The does arrive and begin to feed and my eyelids feel heavy. Just as the sandman comes I see a doe looking into the woods and it dawns on me to get my glasses up.

Mike Davenport

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 11:27:00 PM »
What you are about to see will startle you. Be afraid. The boogy man lives near me. Honest to God...now I am sworn to secrecy with my own inner self as to where the boogy man lives. But he is near and to keep the women and children safe I will be hunting him with a very sharp broadhead and a bow with much mojo in 64 days.

So, as I laid in the blackberry bush and contemplated the universe and yes again thanked the Lord for my station in life, I thought how cool it would be to kill him with a bow that is being passed around in honor of one of our fallen brothers. I get the Chris Surtees pass around bow being offered by Bel007 in October. Here's the link for it.  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=106205;p=1

I will be riding more and shooting more with that buck on my mind, hoping for this look with a mojo-laden bow in my hand.

Wish me luck but I don't need it. I got mojo...and that's better   :campfire:
Mike Davenport

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 11:49:00 PM »
Mike , Tracy emailed me those pics. WOW!!!!  :eek:    :scared:  
If you want, push him over to KS early Nov and I'll help you out. I can definitley scare him anyways.
Good Luck!!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline ckanous

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Great pics and a great mindset in life!!!! Good luck on this big boy, he's a stud for sure! To get this deer with a bow honoring Chris Surtees sure would keep a flame burning in a man's heart right!!! Good luck again.

Offline Lone Ranger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »
Shazaum!    :eek:   that thing is a beast. I'll stick a pig in January with that bow- want to trade venison for pork?    :D  

L.R.
Profanity Makes Ignorance Audible

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:15:00 AM »
Shuweee he's a dandy. Good luck with him.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:39:00 AM »
Mike, Now that is an awesome buck ( Of a lifetime ). Sounds like you have a good plan. Hunt hard and shoot straight. The best of luck. Don
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
Wow! Hope you get him.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks gents! This fall is going to be fun   :goldtooth:
Mike Davenport

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
Looks like you know what you will be after come season. Nice pictures.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 09:29:00 AM »
Awesome! Better pic than the one you sent me. Hes awesome!
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
WOW  :eek:  

Mike, this is your year!   :campfire:
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline Trumpkin the Dwarf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Woah...that thing has a big enough spread to be a western Muley! Hunt hard and shoot straight on that bad boy.
Malachi C.

Black Widow PMA 64" 43@32"

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Greath thread....thanks for this and good luck!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
Neat thread Mike. That buck is just incredible!!! Hope you get him this fall.
To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 12:04:00 PM »
That's a super stud! Good luck with him!
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©