3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: centaur battle axe  (Read 307 times)

Offline dink

• Trad Bowhunter
centaur battle axe
« on: July 28, 2011, 01:59:00 PM »
was thinking of changing to a bigger head this year would it be better to go with the single bevel or double. battle axe
                       dink   :archer2:

Offline Winterhawk1960

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: centaur battle axe
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I don't have any experience with the "Battle Axe" heads, but I have (and still am) using the Centaur "Big Game" heads in the single bevel. I Can tell you that they are bad news for white-tails. If you go with the single bevel just be sure that the bevel you choose matches your fletching.

Winterhawk1960
What if you woke up tomorrow, with only what you thanked God for today ???

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Jim sent me some Big Game heads, double bevel, last year.

Fly great, easier than most, believe, to sharpen!

I WILL, KILL, with them, no doubt!

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
I got some battle axe heads with the left bevel last year and thats all I can say for now is they looked pretty good came with an okay factory edge which I'd need to re-sharpen like most others.  I never mounted or shot them so I'm not sure about flight and penetration or noise  but they looked very well made and I would use them and will once I get a decent arrow i can match them with,, have you seen the concrete block video on his website?.

I say if its going to be 2 blade then go with the left or right bevel just for a little more help with the blood trail,, if it doesn't work then penetration will be the same as a 2-bevel and if it does work like they say it should then its all good.  

also,,, I wondering about screw-on  broadheads (fixed or with adaptors) with left bevels... with my left beveled heads that are set-up for screw-in arrows I put strong locktight on the threads so when it hits the  target the arrow is already spinnign "left" and won't loosen the point hoping  the lock tight should prevent this....

I think if you havent set your arrows up yet you might want to go with right wing if the heads will be screw on just so when it hits its already spinning right which tightens the point.   woodys I like left bevel..

with that being said if I using a double bevel (stos , magnus, snuffer) I don't mind the loosening effect that might happen at impact because its just "pushing thru" the target and doesn't need to turn in the direction of the spinning arrow to work properly and split bone better.

my opinion may be wrong, T
"Us vs Them"

Online varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:48:00 AM »
I have the battle axe heads. They shoot well and sharpen easy enough.  Never loosed one on game.  Seem well made and if you look at the demonstration on the centaur website they are!
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline bluemoonrising

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 10:01:00 AM »
I know that Jim's Big Game Heads are nasty and they fly great. I was going to try the Battle Axe on turkeys this year, but it didn't work out. I  still struggle with sharpening them a little, but I struggle sharpening everything. Peace!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©