3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bear meat?  (Read 641 times)

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
bear meat?
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
i see a lot of stories on hear about successful bear hunts and was wondering can you eat? and if so does it taste any good? Thanks just being curious  :)

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bear meat?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:01:00 PM »
Like almost any game meat I have had some that was very tasty and some that was strong and gamey. It is important to properly handle the meat after the kill and cool it quickly. I cooked a bear roast not long ago that I soaked in buttermilk overnight then cooked it in the oven with vegetables like a pot roast. It was very good indeed. Chris

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
LaClair slow roasted a black bear hind quarter in camp once. He cooked it over an open fire, in a cast iron roaster, and basted it with blackberry wine and onions. When it was done, that hind quarter lasted about 10 minutes. It was a delicous and memorable meal.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline northland archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 04:15:00 PM »
I agree, it starts with preparation after the animal is down.  A lot of good recipies out there.  Can't go wrong with sausage either.
Teach a child about Christ...then the bow.

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
If you get lucky and tag a bear, getting the hide and fat off as soon as possible will have much to do with how the meat will taste. Even animals taken late in the season in the real cold weather will hold enough body heat to turn the meat bad. As far as taste, what I have had was every bit as good as venison. When you cook bear meat you need to reach a internal temp of 165 for at least three minutes. All bears carry trichinella, the round worm that causes trichinosis.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 04:34:00 PM »
It can range between terrific (on berries) and inedible (eating fish), depending on what they have been and what they are eating.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »
I've got bear chili in the fridge right now.  We wrapped bacon around backstrap and grilled them in camp...  Mmmmmmmmm...  

:jumper:  Bear meat good!!!   :jumper:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline Gray Buffalo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
It also makes a great Summer sausage
I try not to let my mind wander...It is too small and fragile to be out by itself.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 05:38:00 PM »
I've never tasted bad bear meat, though some was better than others.  A younger bear in the 150-250 pound range tends to taste better IMO.  The only bear meat I had that was less than excellent came from a 430# (dressed) bruiser, andit was still mighty fine.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »
I had a Yu'pik elder tell me how he prepares spring coastal brown bear... he soaks/flushes the carcass in a snow melt creek for 3-4 days and then corns the meat. Says it's his son-in-law's favorite food. I haven't tried it yet.

Offline Tatersalad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
i got 75 lbs of smoked sausage made with mine.  Goes great with red and white beans!!

i love mine.

Michael

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 07:21:00 PM »
I use to bait with fish. All of my bears tasted horrible. I always just turned it into hamberger as you can cover the taste with spices. I remember one time I made spaghetti and fed it to my niece and she asked what kind of fish was in the sauce. So if you have a choice take a bear that has been eating doughnuts or berries and stay away from the ones eating fish.
Chris.

Offline Jake Diebolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 07:31:00 PM »
I've never taken a bear before, but I've had bear sausage and burger and it was DELICIOUS.

Mind you, it  was from a small young bear, so that could have something to do with it.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Bear meat? Bear meat you say? Can it be eaten?

Of course! Canned bear meat just can't be topped!

Had a batch of bear stew a few weeks back. Excellent eating my friend! Go hunting and enjoy....    :thumbsup:

Offline Eugene Slagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
I've taken one bear, took it with a compound bow in 97'.
Had help from a friend to clean it & prepare the meat & it was great.

Can't wait to have my next chance to get another one.
Zona Custom Recurve: 60" 49# @ 27.5".
Sky Sky Hawk Recurve: 60" 47# @ 27.5".
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore, please take thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and hunt game for me.

Offline swampthing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 08:19:00 PM »
I wouldn't eat one that lived near a dump. Unless you like the taste of gourmet trash of course.  :cool:

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 09:03:00 PM »
My only, spring bear, loin steaks, marinated in Italian dressing, overnight, cooked on a charcoal fire, Gooooood!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
I've cooked and eaten a few bear and the best, and most requested, recipe is definately Corned Bear.  I do the dry rub corning and it takes about a week.  Simmer it after corning until it's tender and most folks won't know the difference between bear and beef.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline coaster500

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 10:12:00 PM »
I've only taken one bear, it was last fall in Idaho. The berry crop was so thick that you could almost close your eyes and scoop up a fistfull....  

That bear was right up at the top for all time good eaten game meat  :)
The American system of democracy will prevail until that moment when politicians discover that they can bribe the electorate with their own money

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 10:20:00 PM »
My wifes favorite  wild game meat is spring bear, its always 1ST to go at my summer parties. But it does get strong if left in freezer to long.
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©