3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What climber?  (Read 537 times)

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
What climber?
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
What climbing stand would be best suited for traditional archery? Most that I see have bars that I would think would get in the way. What do you all use and what are the pros and cons?

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What climber?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:56:00 PM »
May want to look at the Lone Wolf Hand Climber (not the sit and climb) or Summit Open Shot
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 01:19:00 PM »
I just bought a used Summit Open Shot climber to use with my recurve this for this upcoming deer season.

No reviews yet on it, since I've yet to practice out of it.  Plan on climbing a tree this weekend and flinging some arrows to see how it is.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
TreeWalker Look it up Great climber

and made in USA
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
I am a BIG fan of API stands. lock-on and climbing. for a traditional bow climbimg stand I prefer my API BowHunter. I had the top section on mine made wider at a machine shop and it is VERY, VERY comfortable. go figure after I did that they introduced a new wider model. oh well'

lot's of good stands out there. look at as many as you can and if possible sit in (or even climb) as many as you can. you'll find the open front models are more suited to our way of hunting.

Offline okcaveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:50:00 PM »
Bucky I would like a review on the open shot as i was looking at it as well. How comfortable is the api bowhunter SSWV? The treewalker looks good as well, but what about comfort with it?

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:01:00 PM »
hey okcaveman!  my API bowhunter is VERY, VERY comfortable. I can actually stay in it from daylight to dark. Like I stated above, I had the top section made wider and man did it make a difference. My son has an API Grand Slam Supreme that a fellow can actually catch a long nap in with a secure feel of not falling. VERY stable in a tree and super easy to climb with.

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by sswv:
I am a BIG fan of API stands. lock-on and climbing. for a traditional bow climbimg stand I prefer my API BowHunter. I had the top section on mine made wider at a machine shop and it is VERY, VERY comfortable. go figure after I did that they introduced a new wider model. oh well'

lot's of good stands out there. look at as many as you can and if possible sit in (or even climb) as many as you can. you'll find the open front models are more suited to our way of hunting.
I'm actually a huge fan of API's climbers.  I own 3 API Grand Slams.  I was looking into buying the open front version, but the deal with Summit came along and it was too good to pass up!

I've sat in my API's all day on numerous occasions.  Fantastic climber.  All of mine were made back in 2000.  

I've shot many deer with a wheelie bow out of my API Grand Slams. Just didn't think the rail in front on those models would be a good idea hunting with my new recurve.

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by okcaveman:
Bucky I would like a review on the open shot as i was looking at it as well. How comfortable is the api bowhunter SSWV? The treewalker looks good as well, but what about comfort with it?
You bet caveman!

I'll let you know something this weekend.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 03:14:00 PM »
I have a loggy stalker pro staff climber. No bar in the way and locks to tree when in place. 17lbs. and comfortable. I don't think they make them anymore but I have seen a bunch on the net. great stand. Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 03:15:00 PM »
I own a API bowhunter and back in May picked up a Summit open shot. I have three seasons with the API and made only one modification to it. I cut the backrest off only because of noise, extra weight and something else to fasten to the tree. It climbs very well and is quiet and comfortable for a half day hunt. With shooting a 62" recurve I found the climber handles getting in the way a few times. The stand weighs in at 20 pounds. The open shot is a smaller stand and takes some getting used to as far as climbing. You grab the arms of the climber and place your elbows on the seat area. Because the platform is 4 inches shorter then the API(25" vs. 29") it climbs pretty well. Summit has filled some of the stand with a sound reducing material and as a result this stand is really quiet. The fold up seat is a big help when you stand to stretch or get into position for a shot. The back side of the seat has foam that cushions your hip or backside when folded against the tree. I thought I would really miss the bigger platform but, for the most part I am looking forward to hunting from this stand this fall. I have only practiced from it a few times. The open shot weighs in at 15 pounds, this is the best part if you hunt public property and need to get away from the crowd.

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:26:00 PM »
I've been using a summit bushmaster for many years.It only ways 16 lbs & is very similar to the open shot This stand is easy to put on a tree & climb with & it really grips the tree well.

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Hand Climber. 14 lbs. (I think) Folds almost flat. Easy to carry. Quiet. You get what you pay for.

Good luck,
Kyle

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
hey Running Buck!  I actually shortened those climbing handles on mine after I had the top widened. I also got rid of that back rest for the same reasons as you.

LOT'S of good stands out there. I'd like to be able to try each one. Be neat to have'em all set-up at one place to try.

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 04:12:00 PM »
I`ll probably be using the Lone Wolf this year. I found one used for 200 bucks in new condition.RC

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
wich ever you choose just make sure to keep the climbing section(seat section) low , i broke my bow when the bottom limb hit, and the shock cracked my bow through the riser and shelf. boy was i bummmed.
wont do that again..

i have the summit bushwacker, and api babygrand supreme, like them both, just wish tey would make them to go on bigger trees, 30" or so.

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
I have been very happy with the Lone Wolf hand climber.

Offline deadmule

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 07:33:00 PM »
I highly recommend the Millennium M1 Climber. I've had 4 other types of climbers but the Millenium is by far the best I've owned. It's a little heavier than the average climber but it's comfort level is hard to beat. One drawback is that it's really easy to fall asleep in!
Retired Police Officer
US Army 81-89
Dead Mule Bowhunters
------------------------------
HH "Wesley Special" 62#@27
Mahaska LB 74#@28 "Corn Woman"

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I have a Loggy bottom with a Lone Wolf hand climber top,it works great.

Offline RAU

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
I dont think you can improve on the Lone Wolf handclimber, its not cheap but spread the price over a whole bunch of seasons and its well worth it. 14 lbs, packs nearly flat, dead quiet assembly and climbing. I think its about perfect!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©