3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What climber?  (Read 538 times)

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What climber?
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 11:59:00 PM »
Well I always seem to be in the minority here but I love my tree lounge with the bowhunting adapter. It is a lot heavier than many of the stands mentioned but personally I have never found another stand that came close to it for comfort and it is the only stand I have ever owned or used that I could stay in all day! I also like that once I am standing I am away from the free and everything is out of my way for shooting. I do know the distance from the tree does make a lot of folks uneasy though. I have also heard others complain that they were noisy but I can attach in the dark and climb very quietly. I use a small penlight with a red lense when attaching and removing in low light.

I do also have a summit that I use for really long treks in the mountains where the treelounge would just be too much to hike in but it has to be really far back. I have hiked my TL in over a mile before on public land but only if hunting a long weekend where I was going to get several days from the spot.

Offline sawtoothscream

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »
if i was going to buy a new stand it would be the summit open shot. very light weight, seats comfortable and price isnt to bad compared to others.  no bars so cant sleep in this one which is a good thing. i have a hard time staying awake in my viper, just to comfortable haha.

anyways i tried shooting my 66" longbow out of my sumit viper and had no issues at all even at 8 yds. im only 5' 8". just have to set the seat higher and lower platform a little higher.
- Hunterbow 58"  47# @26"
-bear kodiak 60"  45# at 28"

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 04:31:00 AM »
I have an old Summit that looks like the new Dagger (open in front with short rails) another Summit Viper (rails go all the way around) and a Summit Open Shot (no rails). Have an Equalizer (rails go all the way around), an old API Shoot'n Star that has rails that slope down towards my feet for a foot rest and a Lone Wolf Hand Climber (no rails).

I like the Lone Wolf Hand Climber best for shooting out of, climbing, carrying and using in small dia. trees. It won't fit on big dia. trees even with the big belt and especially cypress trees with real big trunks at bottom that get small quick. Next I like the Summit Open Shot..it won't fit on small dia. trees.

I use a 64" recurve and don't like shooting it out of any of the others due to rails. However, to get more room I pull the seat's adjustable straps tight so the seats are up high and even with the strap attachment bar and it gives me a little more room. Also have to set the top section way down almost on top of the bottom and still can't get bottom limb clearance without having to lean way out over the rails. Just my opinion with the stands and bow I have.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 07:28:00 AM »
I have an original USA made Ole Man and I'm satisfied.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »
Open Shot
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 09:11:00 AM »
Id go with the Summit. VERY comfortable.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 10:04:00 AM »
Lone Wolf hand climber for me too.  Great stand although there are probably stands that are more comfortable.  I'll sacrifice a little comfort for the stability, versatility, quietness and packability of the LW.  I skip the straps between the top and bottom and use a rope to prevent the possibility of dropping the bottom part.  This lets me use a bungie on the seat so I can fold it up or down against the tree silently.  I stand up a lot and want to be able to get the seat out of the way yet keep it in place.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
I have owned Loggy, Summit, Loc-On, Lone Wolf and now Timber Tall.  The Timber Tall is the lightest and most adjustable of all. I bought mine at Bowhunters Super Store but there may be other suppliers.  There is also the factory.  I did get a set of the Lone Wolf straps that connect the base to the climber and put them on my Timber Tall.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline BuckyT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by okcaveman:
Bucky I would like a review on the open shot as i was looking at it as well. How comfortable is the api bowhunter SSWV? The treewalker looks good as well, but what about comfort with it?
Okcaveman,

Here's my review for the Summit Openshot.

My stand is 3 yrs old.

The only complaint I have is the hand climber.  I've got pretty long arms.  6'3" arm span.  I think the rails on the hand climber could be a little longer, but I was able to climb the tree with no problem.

Comfort:  I give this stand an A+  It has a very plush, thick seat, and it's quite nice.  Much nicer than my lock on's I own.  I can see myself sitting in it for long hours with no problems.

Dependability:  This summit really bites well into the tree.  Well, at least it bites well into a white oak!  It held firm when it locked down on to the bark.

My recurve is a 62".  I shot it well standing up and sitting down.  No issues with it hitting the side of the stand.  I was shooting at a target 17yds away, slightly downhill.  Fairly steep angle.

All in all, I think I made a good investment on a used stand in excellent condition.

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 08:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by BowHunterGA:
Well I always seem to be in the minority here but I love my tree lounge with the bowhunting adapter. It is a lot heavier than many of the stands mentioned but personally I have never found another stand that came close to it for comfort and it is the only stand I have ever owned or used that I could stay in all day! I also like that once I am standing I am away from the free and everything is out of my way for shooting. I do know the distance from the tree does make a lot of folks uneasy though. I have also heard others complain that they were noisy but I can attach in the dark and climb very quietly. I use a small penlight with a red lense when attaching and removing in low light.

I do also have a summit that I use for really long treks in the mountains where the treelounge would just be too much to hike in but it has to be really far back. I have hiked my TL in over a mile before on public land but only if hunting a long weekend where I was going to get several days from the spot.
You are RIGHT on the money. I am only 25, but I do EVERYTHING for comfort rather than 'cool'. I have a gigantic 10 inch thick cushy seat on my Harley Davidson, and when I saw a Tree Lounger Bow Hunter version for sale last year used for $150, I had to have it. (Normally $400)

I actually put it in a tree adjacent to my front porch and would sit and drink beer in it while my buddies were over.

MOST comfortable stand hands DOWN!! I also own an API Grand Slam 2500 Big Guy version (up to 400 lbs.), and the Tree Lounger SMOKES it!

The stand is heavy, but about 6 weeks prior to the season starting I will take it to the woods with a friend, climb it about 18 feet up and then have him come up behind me with screw in tree steps. Then I lock the stand to the tree, and climb down the steps and leave it like that for the rest of the season.

I
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Offline mudfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 09:46:00 PM »
another fan of the API Grand Slam here.  I like the wraparound bar, makes it easier to ratchet up the tree and gives a sense of security when you are standing up.  has never interfered with a canted bow for either standing or sitting shots.  plus I can lay the bow across it and kick back and relax.  mine is an older model without the backrest and it still works great after all these years.

I had a Summit viper and it was a quality stand in every respect and rock solid in a tree, but I was so used to the API that I always felt a little cramped in the Summit.

Offline paperenginner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Lone Wolf Alpha Hand Climber  

I have used it with my compound and my recurve.  I would agree that I cannot set in it all day but I can't set in any stand all day!  It get to antsey.  The best part of the lone wolf is it packs flat and sets up quickly.  You can even attach items to the back like a back pack if you need too.  It is light enough that you can easily shoot your bow while walking in if needed.  It is dead quiet and very solid when you pull the straps tight.  I paid the price years ago and it has paid off every time I use it or hike across a ridge line and not be out of breath.  And even though it is years old it still looks brand new.  You are supposed to change the straps every three or five years but that is a minimal cost.

Good Luck

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by USN_Sam1385:

Originally posted by BowHunterGA:

You are RIGHT on the money. I am only 25, but I do EVERYTHING for comfort rather than 'cool'. I have a gigantic 10 inch thick cushy seat on my Harley Davidson, and when I saw a Tree Lounger Bow Hunter version for sale last year used for $150, I had to have it. (Normally $400)

I actually put it in a tree adjacent to my front porch and would sit and drink beer in it while my buddies were over.

MOST comfortable stand hands DOWN!! I also own an API Grand Slam 2500 Big Guy version (up to 400 lbs.), and the Tree Lounger SMOKES it!

The stand is heavy, but about 6 weeks prior to the season starting I will take it to the woods with a friend, climb it about 18 feet up and then have him come up behind me with screw in tree steps. Then I lock the stand to the tree, and climb down the steps and leave it like that for the rest of the season.

I [/b]
So I have to be totally honest....I have taken some of the best mid day naps one could ever imagine about 30 feet off the ground in my tree lounge. Only stand I have ever tried that I could stay in all day and be comfortable.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 10:38:00 PM »
I have seen people put the thick Gorilla seats on their Lone Wolf Assault loc-ons.  If the hand climber has the same dimensions, put a Gorilla seat on the hand climber and sit all day if you want!  I'll tell you, used ones don't come up for sale often either which should tell you something.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
Lone Wolf
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 02:30:00 AM »
I personally have decided that I don't have much use for a climbing stand.  A year or two ago, I bought the lone wolf hand climber to give it a try.  I even did a review on it here:

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=31;t=000735

Really, I just I don't much care for the whole concept of hand climbers and don't like how they don't lock to the tree once up.  My hang on with rapid rails is about as quick and is rock solid.  I will say the quality of the lone wolf was top notch but it was too limiting as to what tree I could put it in and I was never comfortable using it so I sold it.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline RUSTY1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
I will be trying the new Ol' Man grand vision aluminum climber this year. In fact it is on a UPS truck out for delivery as we speak and I will be trying it out tonite!! I had a Lone Wolf hand climber but I thought it was a pain in the butt to climb with, so I sold it. Will let you guys know how the O'l Man is.
R.J. Fens Jr.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
I worked at Summit Treestands up until about 2 years ago. I pieced together my own "custom" stand while I was there that would be lighter and smaller since I ride a bicycle to my huntin' holes. The top is an Openshot which is basically just a padded spot to sit on, and the bottom is from a Broadhead model. The uprights on the platform fold flat so the whole stand will pack nearly flat to my back. The whole get-up weighs about 14 pounds. It's definitely the most minimalist setup but it works great for me.  They don't sell this combo, but if you called and asked politely they may sell you a top and bottom from their "scratch and dent" pile. Of course mine was nearly free, but they are good people and would probably help you out on one with a paint defect or somethin.
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
Treewalker gets my vote hands down.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
Timber Tall.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©