3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Long, Reflex/Deflex, or Recurve?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Venger

• Trad Bowhunter
Long, Reflex/Deflex, or Recurve?
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
No doubt a question asked by more than one newb to the sport or archery, and forgive me if this is a repeat thread, for I looked back several pages and didn't see one of similarity. But if there is, please redirect me to it. But basically my question is: What bow do I want/need? Obviously only I can truly answer that question, but I don't know the answer and am hoping that with the knowledge and wisdom of the folks here at Tradgang.com that I can find it.

From the research I have done, I like the more compact design of the recurve, as I spend much of my time in the woods and intend to hunt there as well, and this will help me to not get hug on vines and other under brush as easy. However, I read that the longbow is easier to use, some thing beneficial to a new participant of the sport. But the recurve provides greater arrow speeds. The longbow however requires more skill and is more "traditional" and that is what I am after. But I don't want to go too barbaric. I will have enough difficulty learning proper form and acquiring a decent aim. Adding the additional difficulties of such a primitive bow isn't what i need right now.
Presently I am looking towards a R/D, as it serves a happy medium. But the only reason my mind isn't made up is because I  don't know all the pros and cons to the Reflex/Deflex bow. And for that matter, neither do I know all of them for the recurve and longbow. I know some, but not all. This is where the aforementioned knowledge and wisdom of the Tradgang guys comes in. For some one of my inexperience and build, what would best suit me? Of course, I don't expect you guys to hand me all the answers on a silver platter. Some hands-on practice and much research will be required. But anything you guys can provides is most extraordinarily appreciated.

Not too sure if it'll help or not, but here are my archer specs:

weight: 150
height: 5', 11"
draw length: 28"
eye dominance: right

thanks in advance for help. And also for the tutorials on self bow and quiver making. REALLY helpful as I am about to make a bow of my own. really great place and very informative.

Offline Yeoman Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Long, Reflex/Deflex, or Recurve?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I'd say get whichever feels most comfortable to you. It's a personal preference thing & so is difficult to answer. (It's like asking which is better Ford or Chevy?)

Recurves are shorter, tend to be heavier (at least mine are), but may throw the arrow with more slightly more velocity. Longbows are longer (duh) and lighter. Ultimately, you may end up with an assortment of longbows & recurves. I have.    :D   This is not a bad thing.

Whether its recurve or longbow, when you first start out, it's important to get a lower poundage bow, rather than one with a heavy draw weight. Not only will you want to shoot it more often, lower draw weight bows allow you to develop good shooting form more easily. This is most important, because if you have trouble drawing the bow, you sure won't be able to shoot it accurately.

Look for trad archery stores and clubs in your area. In Georgia, there used to be a trad shop called Bear Country Outfitters in Griffin, GA. Not sure if they are still there. If you can find a trad shop, then it would definitely be worth a road trip to see, and hopefully shoot, some bows in person.

Here's a link on Trad Gang for a N. Georgia trad group in Gainseville. You'd learn a lot by just going to their events. I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

North Georgia Traditional Archery Club  

Good luck. And keep asking those questions. You don't learn if you don't ask.
Yeoman
_ _ _ __ _  _  _  

35# Martin Hunter
40# Martin Savannah
40# Martin Dreamcatcher
50# Bear Montana
_ _ _ _________ _  _  _

"When it’s time to die, let us not discover that we have never lived." -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
I build both recurves and d and r longbows of about every design. Recurves are smoother to pull than even the best d and rs. They are also shorter for most draw lengths in overall strung length,. speed is actually a tossup with a well designed bow of either design. Most d and r longbows are quieter than most recurves with a well designed static recurve being an exception. As to vibration and handshock both have little or none if they are tillered and timed right and the design is good. The look is different but I like them both very well. I might give a bit of an edge to a really pretty d and r for looks because of the racy , slim look.
Thats my take and opinion. Others may vary.

God bless you and good luck in your search.
Steve

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
shoot as many as you can get your hands on then make your decision. I find it easier to shoot a r/d than the recurve and like said above they can be just as fast as a recurve but that is my preference. you will have to make your own decision
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang! I was in a similar spot a year ago, I've learned and experienced so much in the last year I've completely changed my mind about my "perfect bow" three times and I own all 3 types you mention.

I'd say buy a light bow that you can draw comfortably and start practicing and hanging out with trad guys. You'll end up shooting everything you read about here and you'll quickly learn what you do/don't like about different aspects of bows.

If you're serious about carving wood, you might consider a Bear Montana from the classifieds. It'll get you a bow to go shoot with the local guys, and you can put a file to it and retool that 2x4 handle into something you like as a warm up.

Just one guys opinion, whatever you decide I hope you have fun with it!

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Your right, it is what you like that will guide your decision. If you are after R&D, I would recommend you include a Robertson Stykbow, as one to try. I have several and prefer 62" or 64".  Dick should be given credit with coming up with the design about 30 yrs ago, and their design hasn't change much. It is light, easy to carry, stable, durable, smooth drawing with minimal hand shock or noise, and they are as fast as most recurves.  

Get a copy of Dan Bertalan's, "Traditional Bowyers Encyclopedia" You should be able to find a good used copy in the classifieds or online.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I've got all 3 and I really like my r/d. I think it is the best of both worlds.
bolong

Offline Rebel Yelp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
You will have fun with a Trad bow no matter what.

At 28" you have a lot of choices for bows. I think you would be most happy in the low 40's for draw weight.  

You've come to the right place. I encourage you to post as many questions as you like. Everyone enjoys it.  

Also check out the sponsor sites.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 01:02:00 AM »
I started with a 60" Great Plains one piece recurve about 15 years ago.It was 60 inches and had a medium/low grip.I shot it with a selway slide on quiver and 4 arrows.It was a good starter bow for me and actually a great bow for an expert as well.I think a recurve with a little mass in the riser and 60 inches or more long is a good place to start for a newbie.The extra mass in the riser can be of benifit till you get your form down IMO.

My second bow was a 64 inch mild reflex/deflex longbow.I had no trouble adjusting to it after some dedicated practice and it became my go to bow for hunting and 3-d.I alternated between it and a  60" Great Northern superghost recurve.

I have shot all kinds of bows since then in every style and configuration.If you have have good form and technique most bows should shoot reasonably well for you if the grip fits you nicely and your arrows are matched to the bow.

It may be advantagous to shoot a lower style grip and or low/medium if you want to go back and forth between a longbow and recurve.Most longbow have a lower style grip to varying degrees.I have shot mostly longbows and I have my recurves made or bought to be similar to a longbow grip with a locator type grip and or lower style pistol grip.That way transitioning between the two styles of bow is easier with less adjustments.Its hard for me to go from a lower style grip longbow to a recurve with higher grip and I gave up on that years ago.Some guys can do it though I am sure.Not me though.

50s style recurves are a good match in general to a guy who likes to shoot a longbow because of the similar mass weight and similar grips.If you want to add some mass to the bow a bowquiver helps loaded with arrows.

A recurve will serve you well and be smooth to draw and smooth shooting.So if it fits in with the style of hunting you desire to do where a shorter bow may be advantagous its a good 1st choice for you.You can always add a longbow later and probably will.

I agree about getting a comfortable weight to start with.You do not want to be overbowed at all period when working on your shooting.I think around 45#s would be a good place to start with and its enough to hunt with with a well tuned arrow and razor sharp quality broadhead.You can move up in weight as you gain experience if you want.

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 02:42:00 AM »
I agree with everything said here already.Best is to try and shoot as many styles as you can and find what feels best to you.Some people like the feel of one over the other.Most of all dont rush into something.Good luck

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by Venger:
No doubt a question asked by more than one newb to the sport or archery, and forgive me if this is a repeat thread, for I looked back several pages and didn't see one of similarity. But if there is, please redirect me to it.

trad archery for newbies

But basically my question is: What bow do I want/need? Obviously only I can truly answer that question, but I don't know the answer and am hoping that with the knowledge and wisdom of the folks here at Tradgang.com that I can find it.

pick whatever makes you happiest at the moment - they're all good

From the research I have done, I like the more compact design of the recurve, as I spend much of my time in the woods and intend to hunt there as well, and this will help me to not get hug on vines and other under brush as easy. However, I read that the longbow is easier to use, some thing beneficial to a new participant of the sport. But the recurve provides greater arrow speeds.

not true with today's aggressive hybrid longbows

The longbow however requires more skill ...

no No NO - not at all true

there is no better way to get yer feet wet in trad archery than to fondle and shoot as many stick bows as possible - clubs, archery events, stores, friends - are all viable sources.  if you lack the initial hand's on, it'll be a gamble of sorts and you'll be in good company as most of us have been side trailed during our stick bow quest ... and some are still chasing that dragon, too.  :D  

best of luck, enjoy the ride, welcome to trad gang and trad bowhunting!

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
R/D is a great design and it has become my favorite bow.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 09:01:00 AM »
Maybe my journey to find a bow will help. I have shot both recurves and longbows but esthetically prefer the longbow. But I liked the "performance" of recurves if we are talking about arrow speeds. So why not explore the more hybred longbows? So thats what I did.

The list of criteria:

1) had to be a longbow

2) not too radical looking

3) no hand shock

4)quiet

5) easy to shoot well

6) fast arrow speeds

7) I don't like the way carbon limbs feel at the shot so no carbon. Don't like foam core limbs either so no foam.

8) bamboo and red elm limb core

Fast forward to a high performance r/d longbow by Marty Thompson. This puppy will shoot.
What sold me was the bow had a lot of traditional looks, with a little voodoo black magic tech theory in the limbs design thrown in.

Perfect!

The bonus turned out to be it is not only very quiet and fast. It is not a fussy bow to shoot That is important too.

For me, at the end of the day, I only wanted to look down and see a longbow in my hand, and a fairly traditional looking one too. I just wanted one faster than a traditional D bow design.

I don't carry it around and want another bow... and that is a good thing!

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline flinter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
I have owned all three types- traditional long bow - lots of hand shock - owned three recurves and loved shooting those smooth sweet shooting light bows. I had all my bows stolen and replaced them with a Bill Stewart takedown multicam r/d long bow. This bows light, fast as my recurves, and shoots dead on, and its a long bow, what more can you say!

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
August is usually full of archery shoots.  Attend as many as you can and shoot as many different bows as you can.  You will find "the one" for you.

I have noticed that most Trad guys have no problem letting you shoot their bow.  It is almost flattering to have someone ask if they can shoot one of mine, and that statement will probably echo if you asked just anyone of us.

Just get out there and mingle around.  You will find what you are looking for.  

The used bow section in the classified section on here is also a wonderful source.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Venger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 06:46:00 PM »
Let me start by responding in turn to each member in order of which they posted. After that I will say anything I need to separately.

@Yeoman Bowman: Thanks for the trad archery club link. Unfortunately, I live in SE GA, so the mentioned location is of too great a distance to visit. However, I do have a few local guns and firearms stores, as well as a Gander Mountain store that I hope will sate my trad archery needs.

@Hud: Thank you for the "Traditional Archery Encyclopedia" book suggestion. I will most certainly look into it. it also reminded me to get the Bowery's Bible set, something I had forgotten about and seriously intend to get, especially if I intend to make my own bows.

@legends1: You said it all right. No way am I going to rush into this. I am deathly afraid of buying a bow that isn't quite... "me" and being stuck with it as I won't have the necessary cash to try again for a long while. Any and all research material and knowledge I can get my eyes on is my current goal. I don't intend to actually get my first true bow until about a month from now.

@Rob DiStefano: yes I read the "trad archery for newbs" article. one of the first things I did when I found this site. And indeed my first buy will be a sort of gamble. Lack of proper experience throughout the field leaves my sadly lacking. However, reading the stories and opinions of others should provide a safe ground to base my decision off of, like you suggest.

@jhg: I too would prefer a long bow. But I intend to make it, leaving me the option to buy my recurve, rather than the longbow instead. That way I get both styles of bow, and the experience of being a bowery at the same time.
I checked out Marty Thompson's site, and dang!, he has some nice looking bows! And not too badly priced either. His bows definitely sway my initial decision to go with a recurve.

So the general consensus seems to be to shoot several different bows, go with what I like, and start of with a low draw weight. I can meet the requirements of the low draw weight, (both by member suggestion and advice, and what little archery experience I have, I like a 45# draw weight), and going with what i like, which, upon sleeping on it and some other considerations, I believe will be a recurve). However, due to a stark lack of traditional archery stores in my area (that i know of) I will have difficulty sampling the wide range of bows to shoot.

I have far more to say, but my thoughts seem to have left me for the moment. For now though, back to my research. thanks a ton for the suggestions and advice, It truly is a real help.

Offline Venger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:00 PM »
A thought just occurred to me, and think it to be a very important archery question. What should my bow be made of? I have spent most of my time trying to figure out which bow I want, and not any time on it make.
So what wood does best? Obviously just about any wood can be used, right? But what wood(s) give the best combo for speed, distance, and accuracy?
Also, should I get a multi-wooded bow? I have heard, read and watched videos with bows that are backed with bamboo or Ipe or some other wood. Is this something worth looking into? Does it make that much of a difference?

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Tim meigs builds a nice one he calls a duoFlex. I shot mine today.  Smooth and easy.  All bow grips are not the same or equal so pay attention to the grip you get. All here say take your time and test shoot.  Best advice you could get
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 11:21:00 PM »
Venger opinions on build may vary greater than what style of bow to shoot. I like carbon foam
core. It is stable,fast,and resists heat better
that wood. It is also expensive. One thing you may wish to consider is an ILF bow. You can switch from a longbow configuration to a recurve one in 1-2 minutes.
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 11:52:00 PM »
I think one of the biggest mistakes guys make when buyin' their first bow is spending too much.  Don't try and get your dream bow right off the bat.  You won't know what your dream bow is until you've shot a bunch of different ones, and different styles.  

I would recommend something like a Shakespeare recurve, model doesn't really matter.  You can end up gettin' a good one for around $75.  When you're done with it you can probably sell it for about the same amount, or keep it for a bowfishin' bow.  45# is about the right weight.

If you're gonna build yourself a longbow then go with Osage.  Nothin' fancy, just good, strong, and dependable.  Been one of the favorites for years, or centuries.  Backin' your Osage with Bamboo makes a great bow.  But just make a few Osage selfbows before you start complicating things.

Remember, it'sa stick and a string, and they're made to have fun.  If you're not havin' fun you're doin' something wrong.  Keep It Simple S.....  Good luck, and enjoy.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©