3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 brand preference  (Read 895 times)

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
1 brand preference
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
Didn't want to hijack Got2strum's thread about diversity, so how many of us have settled on one make/brand of bow?

I'm a relative newby to trad, but I'm ready to profess that I'm a Black Widow racist.

Nothing else for me from here on out.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 brand preference
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I'll jump in.

Even though I've only had my Hill for a few weeks, I feel pretty confident saying I'm going to be a Hill shooter for quite some time. I have many many  more years of archery to enjoy, but for right now, the Hill is fitting me perfectly.

The most accurate bow I have when I'm on my game...

This doesn't happen all the time, but when it does...  :goldtooth:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 10:31:00 PM »
There are so many good bows out there.  I'd never limit myself to just one.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
My son and I have been shooting ACS CX's for the past 5 years or more. Oh bought a few different ones in the meantime too...........and ended up selling them again in no time.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 11:09:00 PM »
Add another to the ACS CX camp. I have been shooting this one for awhile now and it is the best bow I've ever used.

Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 11:11:00 PM »
I have not been in the past, but I am seriously concidering it.  Have one now that I shoot better than anything I have ever had.  Want to get another one just in case the bowyer ever decides to stop making them.  You know how it is when you find something that you really like and then they are discontinued....

Offline longbowray

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Hill bow got my frist one in 86 or 87 also had alot of other bow but always go back to hill for hunting
BOWHUNTTER FOR LIFE

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 11:20:00 PM »
It took me years of shooting all the different types of bows to end up where I am.

I will be the 1st to say that there are some styles that are easier for me to get accurate with quickly but....

It's not how the bow shoots as much as "how does the bow make me feel when I'm shooting it?"

It's Hill style bows that "just do it!" for me.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 11:26:00 PM »
RER recurves work for me, with a med-high wrist and made a little thicker than their standard model. My Belcher ILF is getting a bunch of time this year with a set of Border Hex-5H's!! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Clinglish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I am mad for Fox Bows , as you can see from the pic below. The wife freaked out when I mentioned starting a random collection of Just bows I would like to own eg Shaffef widow blacktail savage Bear ect ect .Heres what I have so far though in the Ron Fox Collection.

I love Bowhunting!!!!
Hunting for Bows that is   ;)

Offline Shinken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Since I have been shootin' left handed, I have settled on the KANATI longbow by Jason Kendall.  Jason's low wrist grip just fits my style, they are light in the hand, no handshock, and I love the finish!

BTW - I have now owned 3 KANATI longbows....

Have a great 2011 huntin' season!

Shoot straight, Shinken

:archer2:
"The measure of your life will be the measure of your courage."

TRUTH is TRUTH
even if no one believes it

A LIE is a LIE
even if everyone believes it

Offline m midd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 12:35:00 AM »
I like them all.... I am kinda partial to Great Norhterns though
Traditional Bowhunters of Arkansas

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 01:20:00 AM »
I have at least a dozen and half Brackenburys, more than a dozen Shrews, eight or so Morrisons, a few Blacktails, and a bunch more bows in ones and twos, for a total of 40+ bows. The 4 brands I just mentioned are all great, and so are most of my other bows. I know I am spoiled. If I could only own one bow, I could choose almost any single bow on my rack and be a happy hunter. There are lots of great bows out there. If I wanted the best looking bow in the world, I would keep my Blacktail Snakebit. If I wanted the bow that would be the best to carry around with me all day long, every day on long hunts yet be ready to draw and shoot at a moment's notice, I would pick a Shrew Classic Hunter takedown. If I wanted the bow that was the most accurate bow at the range and worked extremely well for hunting, I would pick my Brackenbury Peerless. If I wanted the most versatile bow that did everything well and had interchangeable limbs in both recurve and longbow styles, that could be tuned exactly the way I liked, I would pick a Morrison Mini 14 ILF. And if I wanted the best bow for the money, at half the cost (give or take a little) of any of the others I just mentioned, that was fast, smooth, accurate and stable, I would pick a Holm-Made Osprey takedown. I sure haven't talked about all the great bows out there, but the ones I just mentioned are all already sitting on my rack, so it would be easy for me to grab one of them.

Then there are a couple of bows on my rack that I don't care for much at all, and many more I don't own but have shot that I don't particularly like, even though many people rave about those bows that do nothing for me. Rather than run down any bows, I will simply choose not to talk specifically about them. If you know I own one of your bows and haven't mentioned liking it, don't worry, I probably do, but I have too many to discuss all the good ones here.

It's funny how I will read on TradGang about a bow that someone who is a longtime member says is the best made and greatest shooting bow he has ever come across, but when I shoot one like it, the bow feels like a 2'x4'! In fact, even on this thread there is more than one brand of bow listed that I think is fairly mediocre, although many others claim those same bows are the best ever made. It's probably just me. To each his own, I guess. That is another good reason to shoot a bow before buying if you can. Also, it is a good idea to shoot lots of different bows to figure out how various makes and models compare to one another. Then you can start figuring out what characteristics you like and work well for you.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline smilinicon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
BW PL longbow was the cure for the HHill bug for me. I am done buying bows as my system is complete.

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 06:36:00 AM »
I like several different bows, but for now my favorites are my Morrison Shawnee and ILF longbows. Especially with carbon/foam limbs.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Ihave weeded everything out. one bow is best for me.1silvertip-1northernmist long bow most people dont shoot 1 bow long enought to really get to know it.I have had a lot of bows an thats is all I had a lot of bows.my shooting did not improve alot because I jumped around too much.you can learn alot from a bow over time. you will find the perfect set up an with pratice an a good bow you will be hard to beat.owning a lot bows is a lot of fun also there is nothing like a nice colection

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
No favorite brand here but I do have a favorite style--Hill style longbows.  Currently I own 13 of the buggers (six are actual Hills) and would not be at all hesitant to add more.  I love the style of bow and enjoy owning various makers' interpretation of the style.  When I shoot any other type of bow, I always find myself wishing one of my Hills or similar style longbow were in my hand.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:46:00 AM »
There are certainly a number of excellent custom bowyers in business today. That said, Dan Toelke has made me a number of bows including Whips, one piece and t.d. recurves and Hill style or D bows which have become my favorites. Every single one of them has been superbly crafted of beautiful woods. They are stable and forgiving, the Whips provide good speed and his recurves and Super Ds are extremely quick. Across the board all Dan's bows are exceptionally quiet and I know this because numerous other shooters have commented to me about it. I believe this is so because of the efficiency of their design and the rigorous r&d phase each model goes through before Dan makes them available.
 There are NEVER any problems with Dan, I don't think I've ever known any one as commited to customer satisfaction. I'm sure I could find another bowyer but I can think of absolutely no reason to try, I find that I have developed a pretty strong one brand preference.

Offline LONGSTYKES

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 07:50:00 AM »
I have not been able to shoot all the different styles or brands yet. I do know that I prefer a Long Bow more than a Recurve. And I currently own 14 of them. Some I shoot very well, and the others pretty well, and a couple so so. But their are so many beauties being built today and in the past, I am not done looking yet. Too much fun.
" The History of the Bow and Arrow is the History of Mankind " Fred Bear

TGMM Family of The Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:10:00 AM »
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©