3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 brand preference  (Read 896 times)

Offline David McLendon

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 brand preference
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 08:12:00 AM »
For a recurve the Tall Tines, a longbow a Shrew Classic Hunter Carbon/Foam takedown. I have one of each that fit well and I think they will be staying, the other bows all have a price.
Lefties are the only ones who hold the bow in the right hand.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I second Amar911,there are so many excellent bowyers with great bow design and materials.It is just the time you spend on a single bow that makes it magic.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I`m a loyal Predator fan.

I`m trying to think of a bow that I DID NOT like, and can`t really come up with one. It is better to say, I like them all, just some more than others.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
use to be OL Adcock bows, I shot a lot of different bows, always went back to the pre-ACS and original ACS's but slipped into Zippers and now, I own 3 Zippers and no others

dont plan to own any others either, though if a Silvertip built just right came by ... no, no, NO I'm staying with what I got !     :bigsmyl:

Offline WhitetailHtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 08:58:00 AM »
I'm pretty much a one bow type of guy.

My bow since 1987:  a Brackenbury T/D Drifter, 60# @ 28", 62" with XX75 2018 or 2117.  I do have a 45# 1976 Grizzly, too (for bowfishing).

Zwickeys or Snuffers on the front end.  Been using a Delta quiver up til now, but will be getting a Great Norther soon.

The bow can always get it done.  It's me who falls short at times.
Whether it's a bow or gun, I tend to be loyal to one brand and one model, and to be intimately familiar with it.   Just me.  But never say never!!
1987 Brackenbury Drifter 60#

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
No telling how many different brand bows I've owned. All were good to great bows.

Anyway, everytime I build one I seem to like it better than anything I hav ever bought or had given to me.

Guess I'm just one of those that would rather build it than buy it.

My best so far is my latest recurve. Nothing fancy, 55# at 29" td recurve with simple laminated riser and black limbs.

Troy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 10:13:00 AM »
Troy,

Among the various makes of bows that I only own one of and did not specifically mention in my earlier post is a beautiful 3 piece longbow built by a fella named Troy Breeding. You may have heard of him.   ;)   It is a heck of a nice bow that feels great, looks great, is incredibly smooth, and shoots where I look. The trouble with that Breeding guy is he doesn't produce many bows, so not many archers have had the privilege to shoot a bow that he made, much less own one. I am one of the lucky few.   :notworthy:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »
Tom,

After shooting bows since 1957, when I was 5 years old, and never seeing anything other than what we now call "traditional bows" until the 1970s, I bought my first custom bow ever in 1984 from a guy who had recently started producing bows on a part time commercial basis out of a little shop behind his house in Oregon. That guy was named Jim Brackenbury, and the bow I ordered was his least expensive model (because I was poor at the time) called the "Drifter". It was a great bow that I loved shooting. Jim and I stayed in constant contact over the years, and in 1987 I ordered a second Drifter that was meant to be almost identical to the first one so I would have a backup bow or could have one at the place I hunted every weekend during the 3 month deer hunting season and a similar one at home during the week to practice with. In July 1991 I called Jim to get him to make me a third bow that would have been a different model for other purposes, the Sidekick, which would have been my ideal treestand bow at the time. Jim's ex-wife, Linda, answered the phone, and I said hello to her since I had spoken to her on many occasions, and then asked to speak with Jim. She then told me about Jim's boating accident a few days before when he had drowned. That was a huge loss of a wonderful guy, a great friend and an outstanding bowyer. Although I own many Bracks today, I still have never owned a Sidekick. Some Sidekicks have come up for sale through the years, but I have been reluctant to buy them because a Sidekick would always remind me of the day I heard about Jim's death.

The Drifter, like all of the Bracks that Jim and his employees (including Wes Wallace -- another great bowyer) built, is just as great a bow today as it was in the 1980s. I gave a Drifter to my best friend, Doug Burns, who is the featured hunter at the top of this page (Doug also owned a Drifter that Jim had built for him back in 1985), and he used that Drifter on our recent hunt to Oz that I have written about here on TradGang. In fact, Doug is holding the Drifter I gave him in the picture at the top of the page. That bow did everything any similar bow made today could do. You have a great bow with a rich heritage in that Drifter. I have half a dozen Drifters on my bow rack right now and love them all. Don't let yours get away.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »
Ive owned prob, 143...no bs.., but ever one Im shooting , last 3 years just one, cant afford a new one, really...60 inch hummingbird, 53#@29
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
Pretty much a one bow man now, I own two Brackenbury Quests. I have owned almost every top end bow out there and the Quest is what I choose to keep always. For a longbow I have a Cari-Bow Silver Fox. Only other bow I have on order is a Brackenbury Peerless but will not see it for about two years. For me the Bracks are it, I shoot them better than anything else. Therefore all the others are gone and I am very happy with that decision.
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
I have shot Bear's , Bob Lee's, Massie's (wished I'd never sold those 2) . I then discovered Dan Toelke, and I haven't looked back. Not only the man himself, but his craftsmanship are awesome. I have owned 4 of his Bows , and I have 3 right now. All Recurves, his Regular 1 Pc, a Chinook, and a T/D Curlew. I am looking a T/D Whip for the future. So, yes I do have Brand Preference..... Tu Compadre, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline COLongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 11:07:00 AM »
Wow, I'm really envious of you guys regarding all the different bows you've owned. I've only owned about a half dozen different makes. I don't have the resources to be a bowaholic, and I'm pretty much a one or two bow man anyway.

I just feel really blessed to have one Black Widow and I'm thrilled with it.
BW PCH III

His servant

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Danny,

I haven't forgotten about the comparison of the Peerless with the Quest. I decided to do a thread in the reviews forum.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragonheart

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Over the years I have tried alot of bows.  At times I have searched and switched so much that nothing ever really could take hold.  I have settled more on one "style" of bow than a brandname.  I like "Hill" style longbows.  All of them are not the same, that is for sure.  

Today being wiser, the fit of the grip, the smoothness of draw, the quietness of the bow, are far more important than the brand.  I believe that my trading and buying days are simply gone.  Been there, done that for too many years.  The quest for the Holy Grail of a bow is simply an unfulfilling endeavor for me.  I just want to shoot the one style of bow, and the "holy grail" is found in getting really confident in your shooting form.  Once you find the bow style that works for you, I believe most traditional archers would be far better off the stick to it, no matter what the brandname is.
Longbows & Short Shots

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by COLongbow:
 So how many of us have settled on one make/brand of bow?
For the last couple years and forseeable future it is Timberhawk recurves. Haven't come across anyone that makes a grip quite like Scott's. If he would make me longbow limbs for my takedown, I KNOW there would not be any need for another brand.....

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2011, 01:24:00 PM »
Yup, I am a one brand man, Pronghorns for me.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 02:10:00 AM »
Realizing I'm pretty much a "Bow Hoe", I have several including Morrison's, Schafer's, Tall Tines, Great Plains, Bighorn Custom TD's [old and new]and Jack Kempf Kwyk Styks..

I have tried most all including a Habu, 7 different Widows, several Bears, Howatt's, Wing's, a couple Cascade's, Brackenberry's, plus many more I have forgotten... These are just part of the re-curves I have owned over the years...

Longbows I have had include Widow's, 3-4 Shrew's, 4-5 Griffin's. 3-4 Pronghorns, and a few Great Plains T/d's, a couple Morrison 1 pieces, Cari-bow Silver Fox, Kanati's, Thunderhorns, & Whips.

I still have a Bezelle, two Fred Anderson "Hyaks', A V-archer, a Osage sinue and raw hide backed self bow, a beauty built for me as gifts by a good friend, a Shawnee/Dakota Morrison along with two of Bob Morrisons ILF's set up with many different limbs including L/B's.

For a recurve, I shoot my 56" static tipped 55# Kwyk Styk the best           :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2011, 08:52:00 AM »
In my lifetime I've owned Bear, Wing, Pearson, Herters, Shakepeare, Groves, Belcher and Bob Lee. Except for the Belcher Longhorn hybrid longbow, all the rest were recurve bows.

I only own two bows now. Both of them are 66" Blacktail take down recurves. For me, they are the finest, accurate and smoothest drawing bows I've ever shot.

If I would ever get another recurve bow, it would be a one piece, 66" Blacktail.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Online BUCKY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
After having about 5 big name bows I've found my bow,Kanati longbow.I now own two of them.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
to me, life's like a box of chocolate's so i like sampling as many longbows as possible.  :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©