3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 1 brand preference  (Read 897 times)

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 1 brand preference
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Bear TD for me. Enough variety to satisfy me while still shooting that one bow. I do like to change up between A and B risers but do seem to prefer the #1 length limbs.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
While I've got several makes of bows, I think it is best to stick to one bow, or closely matched bows of the same make and model.  We all eventually learn some degree of accuracy within our limitations, which means that we learn to do the same things RIGHT and the same things WRONG consistently and repeatably.  (Ever watched a guy shoot the nocks off his arrows but badly plucks the string every shot?)  Adding the variable of a different bow changes the equation.  

I know a lot of guys are content to shoot 15-20 yards, but many shoot no further because they can't.  I work to have consistency at variable ranges, and that requires consistency in equipment, unless both me and whichever bow I'm shooting are perfect according to the laws of physics, aerodynamics, and the like.  

Now, I'm not a very good shot.  I am sure that many who post here could flat embarass me in a shootout.  But I idealize myself as someone who wants to emulate Howard Hill and Ben Pearson (sp?), and Byron Ferguson as role models.  These, and many others, set a high standard as repeatable accurate archers and bowhunters.  And I doubt they were using different bows every day.  I think that in our "lust" for some new, prettier, different bow, we end up with a safe full of different bows that won't shoot for us if we get out beyond the 20-yard range.

Also, I'm a gap shooter and don't get much into the "instinctive" thing, and that says a lot.  I'm not comfortable shooting a bow simply by feel, because I want repeatability, and don't want to have to be "dialed in" in order to shoot accurately.  The instinctive shooter probably has a different opinion on this than me, but I want to be confident that if I get one 45-yard shot all season, I've got both equipment and a technique that are consistent enough that I can make that shot... the first and only chance I get.

That being said, I shoot Black Widow bows.  One recurve, and one longbow.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Hands down JD Berry Appollo, for a lot of reasons.

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I might be slightly partial to Bigriver Bows  :bigsmyl:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Thunderstick bows for me MOAB, Nothing shots better for me.  :archer2:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
I've bought alot of bows,but the zipper l/b have proven to be the best for me.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
Sarrels Archery for me!

http://www.sarrelsarchery.com/

The Blueridge takedown longbow is my go-to bow.

Bisch

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2011, 12:04:00 AM »
Morrison.

Bob has yet to build a bow I don't like.
My 2 go-to bows are book-matched Shawnee & Cheyenne. Even my 'throw-in-the-bottom-of-the-boat' bowfishing recurve in a Morrison ILF.

I have & have had many very nice, high & low end bows, both custom & production & the Morrisons are bows I'l never part with.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2011, 12:09:00 AM »
Collecting-
Bears

Shooting-
Blacktail Bows (Norm Johnson)

Offline ncsaknech1ydh

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2011, 12:26:00 AM »
I have had and still do have alot of different brands of custom bows, I love the looks of all types and brands of bows, but the only ones I shoot anymore are my Bob Lee bows of which I have around 10 and will be adding more in the future no doubt!

I'm sure there are alot of fine bows out there that I have not tried, but to this point of the bows that I have owned and tried, any of my Bob Lees have no hand shock, and are very, very smooth drawing to my full 32" draw no matter what they are marked as far as draw length goes.

Also their small family owned and run shop from one end of the business to the other including customer service is second to none in anyone I have ever delt with no matter what type of business I have delt with.

So for me there is no reason to look any further.
"Anchor is a place where I can relax in an uncommitted state of mind"

64" BobLee Classic TD LBow 57# @ 32 1/2
64" BobLee BCentenniel TD RCurve  53# @ 32 1/2"
Always looking for BobLee Long Bow or RCurve Limbs, 64" 40# to 50#.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I like several brands of bows -- all recurves. I agree with the points brought up by Amar and Caccitore regarding getting to know the bow.  I've been remiss in that department. After being away from recurves since 1975 I started shooting them again in earnest 1.5 years ago -- for the 2010 hunting season.

I did stick with one bow from August through deer season last year. However, I feel like I have several years catching up exploring recurves. So I've watched these threads, tried some at shoots and shows and have been through a couple dozen, keeping about half of them.

I think Widows and Predators feel super, perform well, and are very dependable. The wait time if bought new isn't too bad either.

Bear Takedowns remind me of when I started in archery and the Supreme risers are my favorite, especially the very RARE A riser.

All my bows and limb combos are 45-49# at my 26" draw. I can pick up any of them and hunt with them. I am most confident in a couple more than others though.

Without a doubt my favorite two bows right now are a Silvertip and a Habu.

I have two customs that I like very much but  never seem to shoot them; Robertson Fatal Styk and Rose Oak Super Wildcat.Both well made beautiful bows that could be the only bow I owned if need be.

I intend to buy only one more bow. It is a BT Snakebit that should be coming up for build this month. It has been on order since May 12, 2010.

I'm not a collector--of anything, but I do love beautiful exotic woods and smooth drawing and shooting curves. I should get rid of 2-3  (5-6?-ha)of my current bows but I can't imagine parting with them.

I've owned a couple bows or risers that some folks dearly love that just don't suit me.

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Toelke for me, Dan is the best IMHO.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »
I wouldn't say I'm limited to one brand. There are so many great bows out there. I profess to being a longbow though. I don't plan on going back to recurves unless the are 50s style with a longbow handle.

If I had to pick one bowyer though - I'd choose Bama Bows. The two I have are absolutely amazing and they fit me perfectly. I see many more in my future.

That being said - I'd love to own a Holm, Thunderstick, etc. Too many bows, so little time.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2011, 09:49:00 AM »
I have a number of custom bows...Wallace, Holcombe, Bruin a couple of Super Ks, KHs, a Grizzly and a Mohawk.   I love them all and shoot them regularly, but several months ago I picked up a '56 Kodiak which was an entirely new thing for me.   It's weird, but I shoot that little bow better than any of my others and I'll probably hunt with it this Fall.

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2011, 09:53:00 AM »
I have a number of custom bows...Wallace, Holcombe, Bruin a couple of Super Ks, KHs, a Grizzly and a Mohawk.   I love them all and shoot them regularly, but several months ago I picked up a '56 Kodiak which was an entirely new thing for me.   It's weird, but I shoot that little bow better than any of my others and I'll probably hunt with it this Fall.

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
So many different worthy bows -So many gifted bowyers.

How blessed are we that it may only take the experience of a few to find a favorable match that is far more adequate than our own shooting ability.

How blessed are those that have the opportunity to try the vast numbers and then decide which will be their choice.

How blessed are we to have so many different bows by gifted bowyers that in themselves we may find a completely different enjoyable experience all their own.

How blessed are we!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2011, 04:40:00 PM »
Friend I tell you VERY,just the wallet is crying!
This is the gold age of traditional bows.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2011, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
There are so many good bows out there.  I'd never limit myself to just one.
Just got back from Denton with a new Zipper and Treadway. I can not stop.  :dunno:    :dunno:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
Love shooting different makes and models, comparing, contrasting....

If I had to pick just one, shootability, performance and price would force me to Thunderstik.  My MOAB is a rock solid performer and didn't break the bank.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
I've bought new, used,and  traded a bunch of bows!     Always go back to the Centaurs with the ACS running a close second. It just depends on what any given individual likes. I like my Centaurs!  :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©