3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Can I hear from the 10gpp crowd?  (Read 545 times)

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Can I hear from the 10gpp crowd?
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:51:00 PM »
Anyone here have a hunting setup that is still at roughly 10gpp?  Everything I'm reading points to TG'ers going heavy.  I'm aware of the benefits of heavy, but is there still hope for those of us in the 10gpp neighborhood?  Oh, for Michigan whitetail I should point out.

I've been tuning up the new to me Great Northern Fireball.  42# @ my 28.  I know, light bow, but I'm a newbie and keeping my bows light for the time being.

I'm shooting full length Gold Tip Traditional 3555's.  These GT's are full length as they are my first self-fletched batch, and I don't own an appropriate saw.  I figured I'd make due with full lengthers (at this point) rather than shorten and add weight.

So I'm at 425gr overall for 42#.  I've got 125g Woodsman up front.  

Anyone think I NEED to cut these down and add weight, or go ahead with my setup with confidence?
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline mrjsl

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Can I hear from the 10gpp crowd?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »
My arrows are around 12 gpp, but I just ordered some lighter that I expect will end up at around 9.5 gpp.

The heavier ones shoot fine, just want to see if I can make a faster yet still forgiving arrow. A little extra speed really helps my accuracy at 30+ yards.

My bow is pretty conservative - B50 string, stable and quiet. 59#

Offline TxAg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 12:21:00 AM »
My set up is 10.6 gpp.  I shoot a light bow, too. Not worried about it a bit. Arrows fly great.

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 12:22:00 AM »
I'm relatively new to this as well, but seems to me that the forest is sort of lost through the trees on this topic...

10, 12, 15 g.p.p. probably doesn't matter if you have a sharp broadhead and you hit 'em in the boiler room.

Pass through shots are very nice for us less skilled trackers, so that might be a reason to use a two blade or to go heavier, but it doesn't sound to me like your current set up will hold you back one bit chasing whitetails.

It is tough given our consumer culture, but I try to spend my archery time shooting, not tinkering with gear and spending more money.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 12:33:00 AM »
Daddy, When I was introduced to archery back in the late 60's most of the people I knew shot 45# bows and thy thought it was plenty. If you're getting good flight go for it. The deer will never never tell the difference.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Pokerdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
I guess I'm in a second guessing rut right now, thinking I have to tinker like hell with fall around the corner.  Looking for a confidence boost.  Most of me knows I'm good to go, and a little voice in the back of my head keeps telling me to tweak.

I'm on vacation this week and wanted to get this bow/setup all tuned up.  Maybe the time crunch of "get er done this week" has me second guessing everything.
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
US Army 1992-94

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
you wil be fine with 10 gpp.  just choose a two blade head with a three to one ratio.  if you need more confidence buy a rack of ribs hang it on your target and breaks some bones.  then fire up your grill.  diner and a proven setup everybody wins.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »
you wil be fine with 10 gpp.  just choose a two blade head with a three to one ratio.  if you need more confidence buy a rack of ribs hang it on your target and breaks some bones.  then fire up your grill.  diner and a proven setup everybody wins.
If your shooting stinks, work with a Form master.  It'll bring back your A game.

Offline sloaf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 12:59:00 AM »

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 01:11:00 AM »
I'm a touch over 11gpp on both of my hunting setups. I didn't try for 11gpp, that's just the way it worked out. I would be perfectly happy shooting anywhere from 9-12gpp.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 01:31:00 AM »
I tend to shoot fairly heavy arrows, but for normal deer sized animals they are not necessary. I think at least 9 gpp is a good idea, with 10 gpp being recommended as a minimum by many bowyers, especially when shooting FastFlight type strings. When I got my first Brackenbury bow from Jim back in 1984, he recommended 9 gpp. Rick Welch is not only a many times World Champion field archer, he is also a terrific bowyer and hunter. Rick likes his arrows to be on the lighter side of what trad guys are shooting these days. Don't sweat it; 10 gpp is more than heavy enough for the typical game most of us hunt.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 02:36:00 AM »
I shoot 10 gpp. Check out the bow test youtube vedio i did with 10 gpp on my website.

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 05:48:00 AM »
i wouldnt want my arrows over 10-gpp, im shooting deer not elephants.   :saywhat:

Offline SEMO_HUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 06:07:00 AM »
That's exactly how I feel also, I try to keep mine between 9-10 gpp. If I fall just under 10 gpp so be it if they fly good. I'm not going to sacrifice good arrow flight and accuracy to get my overall arrow weight up there higher.
As long as they are close to 10 gpp and I have a nice batch that are all the same weight, I'm good to go.
Lest we not forget the most important aspect of all, shot placement. Doesn't matter if you shoot an 80# bow and you can blast an arrow through a cement door or not, if you can't hit the lung area on a whitetail you will still never recover your prize.
~Varitas Vos Liberabit~ John 8:32

Offline ishoot4thrills

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 06:12:00 AM »
Originally posted by hammer08:
I'm a touch over 11gpp on both of my hunting setups. I didn't try for 11gpp, that's just the way it worked out. I would be perfectly happy shooting anywhere from 9-12gpp.
Ditto exactly. I didn't try for 11+ gpp, it just ended up that way from liking more FOC weight. I wouldn't hesitate to use what you have, as long as your bow and arrow setup is tuned for good broadhead flight.
58" JK Traditions Kanati Longbow
Ten Strand D10 String
Kanati Bow Quiver
35/55 Gold Tip Pink Nugents @ 30"
3 X 5" Feathers
19.9% FOC
49# @ 26.75"
165 FPS @ 10.4 GPP (510 gr. hunting arrow)
171 FPS @ 9.7 GPP (475 gr. 3D arrow)
3 Fingers Under

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 07:06:00 AM »
10.7 for my 49 pound longbow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 07:17:00 AM »
if they are flying good an I mean GOOD you should be fine.now is not the time to second guess yourself.go with it your fine

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 07:47:00 AM »
A 400-450gr arrow is going to do the trick out of a 40-45# bow on white tail as long as you don't take marginal shots and have a sharp head.

Go out and fill up your freezer.  Have no doubts with your set up and take quality shots.  Don't ask it to do more than it should.  In other words, don't use your screw driver as a hammer.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 08:09:00 AM »
10gpp will work just fine on whitetail, not my cup of tea but it will do the job..
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 08:13:00 AM »
I think you'll be just fine with the 125 grains in front. Ofcourse I don't know how fast your bow is or how much centercut, they might a bit stiff. You can always consider to buy a 6 strands ultra skinny SBD string, this will make your bow faster, much more silent and possibly give an even better match for your bow/arrows. I can highly recommend those strings, especially for lighter bows. I shoot a 45lbs@29" Caribow Peregrine and when I shoot carbon I use the same set-up.
My favorite arrow weight is between the 9,5 to 10 gpp. My carbons are around 425 and my woodies around the 440.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©