3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog hunting in the south  (Read 185 times)

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog hunting in the south
« on: July 30, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
When hunting hogs in the southeast, what is the best time of year for someone to consider? Also, what are the different areas to find them and behaviors to expect from the hogs during each season?

I'm thinking that February is a good month to avoid most of the bugs and hopeful that some of the snakes are holed up. It's been almost 18 years since I was down in that neck of the woods.

Thank you,
-Ray

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog hunting in the south
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:47:00 AM »
Here in Fla the nicest months of the year are Oct. and March. Those two months are mid way in our temperature extremes. March is also a good time to be able to smell the orange blossoms.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:12:00 AM »
It can be in the single digits in Feb here in GA....just 'where' in the SE are you talking about?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
Usually in February, single digits are a welcome sight up here.  Almost feels like a heat wave.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
Not SW but Mississippi has plenty of hogs that need killing with plenty of good public land to hunt.
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
I like March for GA, weather is nice and the hogs have had a chance to calm a bit after deer season. Chris

Offline Ray Borbon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
We're wanting to go into Hammond's hog heaven first and I think we just nailed that down. But to be honest I'd hunt again somewhere else on an annual basis if it was good times.

Around our area February through March is pretty much a deadbeat time and I would like to consider some regular trips down south every year or two to hunt pigs. In the early 1990s I  lived down in Georgia at the Army base outside Savannah for two years when I was in the infantry. Therefore I somewhat have an understanding on the weather. Yet I don't mind a reminder either, since it has been some time :-)

Coming from so far away, I would have to put up with different logistical problems. Vehicles, camping equipment, hunting gear, etc. So while we may be committed to one trip now, I am open to learning about the critter and what they are doing around the time of year I might hunt them. I suppose some of that might have to do with the foliage and cover in February-March which is when we planned for now. Do you think they like to hole up near the water more in the summer as opposed to late winter or early spring? Now if they are more active to hunt another time of year, I am all ears on the knowledge.

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
The post next to Savannah, Ft Stewart, is a fantastic place to hunt pigs and some dang good shellcracker fishing to boot. Not to mention they have a really good campground right in the middle of good hunting. I would be willing to have an annual bowhunting get together, heck I'll be there anyway! Squirrel season opens Aug 15 and I plan some squirrel thumpin, pig huntin and probably some fish fryin right around that time. LOL Chris

EDIT: I love camping here, the tent camping spots are always deserted   http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/milcamps/49-georgia/92-holbrook-pond-recreation-area-and-campground

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
Ray, when you and Jay come I'll give you the lowdown on Stewart- that's my old stomping ground!

Hogs here go to water every day- but April through Labor Day it's an imperative

We will cover it all while ur down!
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 07:05:00 AM »
Ray,

Since I live here, I'd take that lowdown on Fort Stewart. It hard to learn when I'm deployed all the time. I think I'm gonna make it a year finally without deploying somewhere.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Give me a call any time

I lived in Richmond hill for many years and hunted all over Stewart until I moved up here

If anything I'm certain the hogs are even more prevalent than before
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©