3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Come spend a few days in my elk camp  (Read 1366 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Come spend a few days in my elk camp
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2006, 01:35:00 PM »
I think your story and pics are the best we have seen on the Trad Gang so far. Thanks!

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »
Great story and excellent pics.  Thank you for making me feel like I was there.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
And another Wow... Thanks for the trip.  Felt like I was there.  Great Hunt.  Jeff
"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
That's just incredible.  Thanks for the adventure.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline wakemstakemdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2006, 11:56:00 PM »
I liked the first pictures with RED in them!!! Man that was cool. The whole time I was wondering if you stuck an elk and then I saw those awesome Juice Pics!!! AND MAN YOU DUDE'S KNOW HOW TO CAMP!!!
If I don't show my kids Christ I have completely blown it as a Father

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2006, 12:07:00 AM »
Could smell the mouain air on that one. Very thoughtful of you to take so many fine pics and share them and the story. Believe you raised the bar a notch with that post. Thanks.

Offline UKarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2006, 04:15:00 AM »
That first photo just took my breath away. Like someone else said earlier, that is heaven. Can you tell us a little bit about your llamas?
Graham

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2006, 05:32:00 AM »
Has to be some of the most beautiful country on earth. Thanks for taking us along with you. Thats the hunt most of us only get to dream about
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2006, 08:19:00 AM »
That was incredible.  Thanks for taking the time!  Sorry to hear about the problem with the pack animals.  Must of been a tough decision for you debating to put him down.  Skinner.
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »
I'd go just for the camping!
Got wood? - Tom

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »
Graham,

I just pulled up a thread from a few weeks back, Packing into elk camp.  This thread has a lot of information on llamas and how I prepare for these hunts.

Thanks for the kind words.  I have been doing these hunts every year since 1994 sometimes 2 or 3 trips a year and have not even taken a camera for the past several years.  Seems like the pictures all start to look the same after a while and they don't do justice to being there.  Now that I have a digital camera, the resolution is better and the computer display is better.  I have a 512 chip and can take hundreds of pictures that are easy to review and edit.  Keeping the camera at my fingertips in the shoulder bag instead of in the backpack also is more conducive to taking more pictures.  I will probably take more pictures from here forward.  

My llamas are better though Stuart still has a limp and will not likely get the call to pack ever again.

This trip for the first time, I felt the limitations of aging or medication side effects or something else bad.  I am not done by a long shot but I am going to have to train more or find less vertical places to play.  I suppose I could accept the fact that it might take me two days to reach my hunting grounds and two days to get back and still hunt up there.  The hunting is real good, I know the place like the back of my hand, and it isn't hard to hunt once you get up there but it took a lot out of me and my partner and my llamas coming and going.

I am glad you enjoyed the pictures because I sure enjoyed collecting them.  I hope I can take a few more some day soon.

Regards, John Berger/Missouri Sherpa

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: September 07, 2006, 08:50:00 AM »
Ya fooled me....went back in and edited in your story. Great work John, appreciate you taking the time to share such a fine hunt with us.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: September 07, 2006, 10:18:00 AM »
This the coolest "huntalong" post yet! These pics would really be cool set to music in a slide show!
I noticed the British chemical protective suit your boy is wearing. I had one like that in desert storm. I love the pattern they use.
Congrats on an awesome animal and hunt that would be a dream come true for most of us. Like it was said before, I'd like to have been there just for the camping(and gourmet cooking!)
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline huntsmanlance

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: September 07, 2006, 12:06:00 PM »
Sherpa that scenery is absolutely breathtaking.....where was it that you all went to?

Talk about a Dream Hunt for a boy on the plains of Oklahoma....  :D
St. Huberts Rangers
Mudd's Merry Men

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: September 07, 2006, 01:20:00 PM »
I used the British Chemical suits for about 5 years for my camo.  I switched to the wolfskin in Predator about 7 years ago.  The Chemical suits were so cheap, less than 15.00 a suit when I got them I bought half a dozen.  I lend them to people that are short on good camo.  I like the pattern for elk season.

Offline Kevin Breaux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »
WOW!

The opportunity to be with folks that is in the know about a trip of this caliber to pick their brains and experience being there and sharing, man!

On a first trip I’d be the dedicated worker bee and cameraman if you will. Since retiring from the Army, I have deep thoughts and dreams of in the future walking mountains again, breathing that crisp mountain air and having a chance to carry a bow I brought to life in pursuit of taking a elk.

Thank you for posting and keeping my dreams fresh, wonderful story and pictures.

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2006, 01:59:00 PM »
Great pics and story. Thank you for taking the time to post them.

Also, congratulations to a fellow Super Shrew shooter!   :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2006, 11:14:00 PM »
One of the best posts I have ever seen. Thanks.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2006, 07:55:00 AM »
*sigh*..that makes me miss elk hunting so bad. Great report Sherpa and great pics.

You're heck with that bernzo matic though   "[tunglaff]"
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline dhanson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »
Great pics, and a success although at a price.  Thanks for sharing.

My knee went out a week before my trip, went anyway hoping it would work out but never did.  Came back after only 3 days hunt.  Maybe next year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©