3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wife gets first buck  (Read 442 times)

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
Wife gets first buck
« on: November 18, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »
Well, to be honest I think she wouldn't do it. We live in NH and the bow kill success rate is the lowest in the nation or at least has been for many years. Anyway, getting any deer here with a bow of any kind is a tough assingnment. My wife, Laura, started hunting with me last year and took a nice black bear with her DAS bow. It was a goal she had set out to accomplish and  she did it. You would think I would have learned something about her from that.

She has a "thing" about shooting does and/or yearlings. I have no problem with that except that in NH any deer is a good deer. Where we live we have set up a feeder and it is frequented by a number of does and fawns during the entire year. The number increases during the winter but we understand that and enjoy observing them. Often, after the season, the bucks show up. Sometimes a lot of them. One year we had a bachelor group of ten bucks show up every nite for several weeks  and we would watch the "boys" engage in various forms of male dominant behavior including sparring and harrassing the "ladies". Some years this goes on well into early Feb.

Back to Laura, sorry for the digression but it all fits. Laura will watch hunting shows with me now and actually she listens and talks to me about what she hears. One of the things she heard is that the best buck "bait" was real live does, which we have around all  the time. So she figured that once the rut started that all she would have to do was go sit in one of the stands and the bucks would eventually come by to check out our local group of does and fawns. Well, yesterday afternoon, after retruning from a doctor appointment Laura walked in the back door in her hunting duds. I asked, "See anything"? "Shot the four pointer", she said. Seems that we had seen a four pointer a few weeks back at the feeder and wondered what had happened to him. Laura decided to sit in her stand while I was at the doc's and she wasn't there very long when this four pointer walks past her into a patch of woods that we knew was a bedding area for one doe and her fawn. Not too late, but just before it started to get dark she has one of the does run by her stand. A few minutes later she hears (for the first time in her life) what she recognizes as a buck grunting. She looks in that direction and see the four pointer coming her way looking, obviously, for the doe. When the buck walked by at 15 yards she simply shot him...just the way she had figured it would be. Trouble was was that the shot was a little far back (she didn't try to stop him but thought she could get him walking by). We got out the lights to take a look and found a sparse but evident blood trail. About 80 yards later we found the arrow....covered in blood but with the tell tale odor of paunch. We backed out and to make a long trailing job short we found him about 200 yards away this morning in his death bed by our brook. The arrow (a 500 size Beman Max 4 with a 100 grain insert and a 100 grain Phantom head) had taken the liver and just nicked the front of the stomach. She shoots a 58" DAS bow. Fortunately the arrow was a pass thru which leaked enough to make finding him challenging but rewarding.

After all the advice I gave her during the season I promised her that I would no longer put myself in that position again. She is just going to do it her way regardless of what I suggest.  Besides, I do not like the taste of crow.

Here he is where we found him

Here she is with him

By the way, this is Laura's first deer and I am very proud of her. She beat all the odds and did it with a stickbow!
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline DIAMONDBACK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wife gets first buck
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 06:00:00 PM »
Bill,give her a big hug for me thats awesome.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2006, 06:02:00 PM »
now that is all in the family!!!   :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:      :clapper:   congrats..Tell us about Laura's bow , poundage and arrows...my daughter is looking at this THANKS
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »
Nice job Laura. I like the forks on that buck kind of unique.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 06:16:00 PM »
Congrats, Laura. Nice job on that buck.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 06:21:00 PM »
WOW!!! way to go girl. see girls can do any thing.  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  jeff
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shape Shifter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »
Very nice!!! Congrats on your first trad deer!
"Effort only fully releases its rewards after a person refuses to quit"

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 06:30:00 PM »
Just to add a little frosting to the cake....we are in the middle of the firearms season. When she didn't get a deer during the early bow season I figured, well, you know, I had little hope for her getting a buck. I never did tell her that the odds got even worse when the guns started to blast. But, she insisted that the rut would rule....and it did! I wish I had her optimism....and patience.

Offline Dalebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »
WOW thats great, Iam still looking for my first bow buck CONGRATS!!

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 06:36:00 PM »
Congratulations Laura, way to show Bill how it's done!  :goldtooth:    Great story Bill, you both have the right to be proud.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2006, 06:55:00 PM »
Bayoulongbowman: Laura is only one of two women in the whole world who shoots a DAS recurve. As far as I know she is the only female to hunt with one. Her bow is 58", and this year we have it set at 43# at her 26" draw. Her arrows are Beman Max 4, 27", with 100 grain brass inserts and 100 grain Phantom four blade heads. The beauty of the DAS bow is that it can be set up for short draw or low poundage shooters and get the same kind of performance that those of us who draw 28" get. Her bow. by the way, is set up with an elevated rest and a plunger. Last year she took a black bear with that set up at 46# and got a pass thru on her bear. DAS bows should be seriously looked at by women and guys who need to shoot low weight or have short draws.

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Well way to go Laura   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Rich LaBombard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2006, 06:59:00 PM »
Wonderful news!!!
Best wishes to you both,
Rich

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »
:clapper:     :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Charles K.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 07:31:00 PM »
Wow....way to go!! We have a rack like that on the back porch that we hang key-chains from....reminds me of the hunt every day.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 07:36:00 PM »
Congratulations,nice to see you guys wives hunting!
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
most excellent!!!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
Great job Laura!

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2006, 08:00:00 PM »
NICE JOB LAURA!!!
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
Congratulations Laura  :bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick