3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Unit 9 New Mexico  (Read 143 times)

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
Unit 9 New Mexico
« on: July 30, 2011, 03:27:00 PM »
I finally drew a Elk tag in New Mexico, Unit 9. I was looking for some info on what I might  expect to see. Is there dark timber,Aspens,sage, streams,
ponds or all of the above. I have a topo of the unit and have been using google earth as a reference, but would like to have some info from someone whose been there done that. I have elk hunted in Colorado for many years but have never had the opportunity to hunt in New Mexico and just trying to get a feel for the area.........thanks.

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Unit 9 New Mexico
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Unit 9 is a big area.  Its mostly high desert.  But in higher elevations you will see some timber.  But generally lots of pinyon.  Bring good optics.

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 11:50:00 PM »
Thanks Jeff, it sounds alot different than were I have hunted elk in the past in Colorado, mostly dark timber and high meadows there.

Offline scedvm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:30:00 AM »
Hedgetree, I haven't hunted unit 9 but it is a fairly diverse area depends on where you hunt.  We have been in a terrible drought, and although we are getting a little moisture lately the water sources will be somewhat limited so might be a good place to start.

Offline hedgetree

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Shawn, I have been keeping up on the drought and wildfire situations in N.M. I was thinking the same thing about hunting over water and its surrounding area. The drought here in my area of Kansas has been exhausting. Im glad your seeing some releif. Thanks for your input.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©