3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who's wearing Sitka Downpour pants?  (Read 181 times)

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
Who's wearing Sitka Downpour pants?
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:36:00 AM »
Ok guys. I am getting a Downpour Jacket to go over my Ascent Jacket when it rains but would like a pair of waterproof pants as well.

I understand waterproof and breathability don't go hand in hand but I want a pair that breath as much as possible. Was considering the Downpour pants. What do you think?
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who's wearing Sitka Downpour pants?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 02:24:00 AM »
The Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants are the best rain gear presently being made.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:20:00 AM »
My experience has been, unless it is cold, windy, raining, and/or foggy, I don't put on rain gear. If it is very hard to stay dry, then I will, but it means, hunting without exerting much energy. Staying dry, when it is warm and raining is a problem. However, when I need to replace what I have, Sitka, and Kuiu would be at the top of the list.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 03:28:00 AM »
Thanks Hud. I am the same. I only want the gear there for hunting in the rain. I mostly hunt Sambar deer here in Australia which is very much like hunting Elk just not the altitude. 85% of the time it is wet.

My Ascent set will suit for most of the time but when the rain sets in I need some waterproof gear to keep hunting.
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be ... time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and the fish that live there."
Fred Bear

Offline excelpoint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 03:31:00 AM »
Originally posted by amar911:
The Kuiu Chugach jacket and pants are the best rain gear presently being made.

Allan
Allan. Have you tried both to compare? Interested in why the Kuiu is better.
Fred Bear

Offline Tracks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
I like Helly Hansen Impertech, the lightweight rubber stuff. I've found these pants to be quieter and more effective than anything breathable. I do tend to wear a breathable jacket while hunting, but I prefer the rubber pants.
An added bonus, the pants I have cost less than $50 new.

And for reference:
I have never handled or seen any of the Kuiu gear, so I can't say how it compares. I have checked out the Sitka raingear and it seemed awfully noisy to me, even compared to Cabela's MT50 or whatever that stuff is called. I like my Cabela's whatever-it-is-called jacket and I have snuck very close to elk and deer while wearing it, despite it's faint crinkling sound.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©