3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What a difference a grip makes!  (Read 262 times)

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
What a difference a grip makes!
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:43:00 AM »
Well, well, seems like people around here know what they're talking about.   :D  

Haven't been at this long, but have worked pretty hard, read some books, and made progress.  Lately it's been a battle and I was almost going backwards.  The bow I've been shooting for 8 months I never liked the grip from day one.  It just didn't fit and I kept trying to make it consistent.  It has never been comfortable and neither has my shooting.

So, waiting on one of Bill's fancy creations, I was looking for something old and fun to shoot or something I could maybe share with my brother, and Blackhawk offers for sale a 1967 58" 48@28 Kodiak Hunter (green glass).  Got it this afternoon (thanks Lon for the great condition, shipping, and string), and I AM DANG WELL BLOWN AWAY.  

I shot better in the near dark, without fiddling with bh, arrows, nock, or practicing, than I have just about ever shot in a hundred sessions with my R&D longbow.  I tried fast, slow, cant, no cant, and different positions, and the arrow just felt like it was seeking the center of the target. Oh, and for a 45 year old bow, it thumps the target.

I know my form needs work, but this really showed me what a difference a grip can make.  This grip is agressive (high wrist? and may be uncomfortable to some), but it absolutely forces consistency.

Know it's a long post, but this has got me seeing bloodtrails instead of doubt.  I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this bow.  My last group of the night:

>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Shoot some Zippers and a Bear.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What a difference a grip makes!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:58:00 AM »
Congrats!!! That is a classic bow! I agree grip is everything.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
the grip on the bow really makes or breaks the deal for me.That part of the bow I am a little picky about they gotta fit.
Good luck with the shooting and if you were asking me ? you are doing great and yes it can become addictive.I'd say that group you shot if in fact it were you ? looks pretty durn good keep at it bd

Offline KHALVERSON

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 07:59:00 AM »
will
your right the grip makes a big difference
or at least it does for me
pretty good shootin there also
kevin

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:33:00 AM »
Grip will make or break your shootin
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:43:00 AM »
The grip for me is very important. If I'm uncomfortable with the grip, my accuracy stinks.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Trad-Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »
Welcome to the journey of traditional sports.  You are correct, it's all in the grip...the rest is academic.  It is imperitive that you hold the bow the same way every time.  The higher the wrist the easier this becomes.  The trade off is speed.  It takes a bit longer to draw and shoot.

You will find that overtime, and as you become more knowledgeable about the features and benefits of different style grips your shooting style and desires will change.  You may even prefer a different grip for different applications.  

Most wheel bows have a low grip...when I converted I wanted a low grip.  As time has passed I prefer a higher grip. Currently I have an Asbell grip on my BW.  I like it but over time I find I still want a bit more wood in the palm area.  My next bow is going to have a modified version of the grip on my Bud Hitt "Black Ace" target bow.

Offline Victory Rider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
I agree 100%. Grip is the most important thing for me. With my 31" draw I don't need to worry about speed and such!
68" Mohawk "Classic" 50# @ 30", Bacote
62" Trad Tines Recurve 50# @ 30"
Ben Pearson Colt 62" 41# @ 28"
Ben Pearson Golden Sovereign Knight 60" 50# @ 28"

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 09:31:00 AM »
I'm going to be slightly contrary here, to the point of sharing my view that although I have met many different handles, I have not yet met one that I didn't like, or wasn't able to acquaint myself with after a few arrows. However, I will say that stereotypical recurve handles are easier for me. But, I still like longbows! For me the big question is: Are the limbs long enough for my draw? And I only draw 29".
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 09:34:00 AM »
Everything has to suite you. The grip, weight, draw force, even how the bow looks to you.

It ain't your wife, it's an extention of you.

Troy

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 09:42:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  

A lot of wanting to get this out there was to let new guys like myself know to try different things out.  You can be stubborn and try to stick with something, but if it isn't working, change it up!

I hear you Ben.  That would be my goal, and maybe the grip is masking some flaws in my form, while the other didn't.  I actually shot a flat lb style grip better than that dang bow I had.  It had finger grooves made for a giant's hands, and I was jamming 2 fingers in 1 groove, that kind of stuff.

Offline Red Tailed Hawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
100% agree grip is everything for accuracy!
I'm drinking from a saucer 'cause my cup has overflowed

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 09:59:00 PM »
One can modify a grip with little effort and some tape and padding. Get it where you want it or it just feels good. Then you know to order that style.  Can be done on some longbows!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
The grip makes all the difference for me. It's got to be deep, and a bit on the wide side.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
Since Bear and others did not have the automated CNC machinery 40 years ago, grips were formed by hand in a production line.  Many were slightly different within a model's production year, while others change drastically as the models and bowyers changed.  

In my limited experience, I have found the '67 Kodiak Hunter to have a higher grip than subsequent years, and one to my liking as well.  

I'm also glad it suits your style LimBender.  ;)    

Many of us have found those old production bows of yesterday can still perform with today's models.  Maybe that's why our bowyers of today keep trying to improve looks, feel, and performance in their bows in their efforts to make us forget about those old antiques that grandpa used to shoot.  :goldtooth:
Lon Scott

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »
yes the grip does make difference. so i changed it.

its cheeper than buying a new bow.

Offline LimBender

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:00 AM »
Lon,

It's been a real nice surprise to have a bow that is older than me bring a lot of fun back into my shooting sessions.

Not only do I like the grip, but it seems to me to be a very forgiving bow.

:archer2:

Offline Hit-or-Miss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
My 68 Kodiak Hunter (#50), shoots far better than I do, and with a high grip, its a natural pointer. In fact, I love it so much, I recently bought a 69 KH and 71 KH, both in #45, as back ups! Now I need a Greenie KH to round off my hunting bows.
The only weapon that is quicker for me to bring into action than a Kodiak Hunter, is the model 94 Winchester .30-30.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©