3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Saddle Sizes  (Read 315 times)

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Saddle Sizes
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:16:00 PM »
I recently bought a medium ambush saddle off of an online auction site and according to the trophyline site the medium is for waist sizes 27-34"  I have a 31" waist but when I tighten it all the way it is still loose.  John Eberharts states on their site that if it is not tight like a belt it is too large.  I think this one would probably work for me but I bought the saddle because it would be very light weight and easy to pack in out of the woods so if I could get by with less material and a better fit in the small I would most definitely prefer it.  However, saddles are hard to come by these days.  

Anyone else hunt with a saddle that fits fairly loose?  Is it a problem?  I didn't want to try this one if a small would be better then I couldn't sell it as new and unused.

Offline ALwoodsman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Saddle Sizes
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:00 PM »
I have been using a large and I have a 34" waist.  I am able to hunt in it for about 4 hours before I get uncomfortable.  I don't know if a medium will help or not because this is the only one I have ever used.  The problem I seem to have staying comfortable is having constant pressure on my hips.  I don't think a smaller size will help with that.

Offline Morpheus32

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 12:08:00 AM »
I have a medium and a large that I use through the seasons.  I have a 38 waist with my hunting clothes on for early season and the medium is perfect.  Once the weather gets colder and I bulk up on the clothes, then I go to the large.  

You have to be able to tighten up the belt.  If not then it will not work properly and will be uncomfortable for long periods.  You have to experiment to find the right size for the right clothing.  

I hope that helps....I think they are a great product...

Offline Jeff Mundy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
I'm in the same boat as you RecurveHunter01. The saddle seems baggy but once hooked up in the tree it's very comfortable.

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Sounds like the med will do, wish I could try out a small and see if I liked it better but I better start practicing now so I'm ready by oct.  I just want it to stay in place as I climb the tree.  But late season when I'm bundled up I really doubt it will be an issue  

Thanks for the input guys

Offline n.c.swamp buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
Same as alwoodsman same waist size with large saddle.I was told it would hurt my knees.but it does get to my hips.I started with a medium but had same comfort level.

Offline mtsrunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
I have a 36" waist.  I use a medium for early season and large for later when I have more clothes on.  
You don't have to be able to tighten it like a belt.  The only reason for that is if you want to cut the shoulder straps off and still be able to walk through the woods with it on.  If you are using a climbing belt as you climb, it can't fall off, even if a little loose.

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 09:05:00 AM »
34 inch waist here and a medium seems big on the ground but in use is fine

The suspenders help hold it up while walking
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
If it seems a bit too large for your waist when walking, try this. Pull the saddle all the way up to almost under your arm pits and tighten as much as possible. It will ride down and settle on your waist just right for carrying. I have one of the older leather models without the shoulder straps and when I tighten it in this fashion, I'm usually good to go for a mile or more before it slides back down too low. The lady who owns the company passed on this tip to me and it works.
N/A

Offline Nathan Killen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
I have a 30" waist and use the small, it will snug up tight around my waist while climbing and let out for a loose fit while hanging out up the tree. And its not as bulky either.
Genesis 21:20 And God was with the lad; and he grew, and dwelt in the wilderness, and became an archer. ->>>---------------->

Jesus is my lord and savior, Who is he to you ?

60" Little Mountain built by Ethan Rodrigue

Offline RecurveHunter01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
yea, I figured it would work.  I just would prefer a small so I'd have slightly less bulk to carry around.  But I haven't been able to find a small so looks like I'll make due with the medium.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:03:00 PM »
I use a small and have wear a size34 or so. I find it's comfortable. I got knee pads and it made all the difference for staying still and hunting longer days. The size you have will work fine as I started with a large and got rid of it because it was uncomfortable. Too much saddle in the way. The small is perfect for me. Good luck. Also, wear it into the woods. Makes ascending easier and a bit faster.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 05:40:00 AM »
I'm 36" in the waist. I had a Large and Medium leather saddle to try out during the same time. The medium was too tight on my hips. I kept the large and shipped the medium back to the company.
N/A

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©