3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you went to Denton....  (Read 520 times)

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
If you went to Denton....
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
If you went to Denton, which bow where you most impressed with.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you went to Denton....
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
My own, a Hoyt Buffalo. I also test drove a friend's Wes Wallace Mentor. Very sweet.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline giff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »
I'm probably going to order a Holm Made River Runner

Offline landman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:55:00 AM »
Wallace and Holcombe and sometimes not in that order.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 10:20:00 AM »
Only there for one day, I didnt have a chance to see the vendors.

Wayyy too many things to do if you want to do them right.

I would have to answer, My own bow

68" Big River Long Bow.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline macksdad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:24:00 AM »
I liked the Hill Country recurve.   But I am with reddogge I love my buffalo.
Hoyt Buffalo   #45@28,#50@28, #55 @28, #60@28
Hill Country Wildcat 52#@28
Hill Country Wildcat Static #57@31
Rick Welch Accuracy Factory

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
My new 47lb Palmer Recurve. Man does that bow shoot!
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline ScottV_7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Griffin.  I bought a camo dipped prototype "CG" 2 days before going to Denton.  Got a pretty good deal on it so I thought I'd sell it at the blanket swap.  Well that didn't work out and I ended up really liking the bow anyway.  John McCullough was great to talk to and answered all my questions about the bow while I drooled over the rest of his offerings.  Now I want another one but 2 years is a loooong wait.
JK Traditions Kanati 48#@28"  
Fedora 560 52" 44#@26"

"Skin that one pilgrim, and I'll bring ya another!"

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 11:33:00 AM »
Of course everyone's opinion will vary depending on what they look for in a bow.  I was specifically looking for a recurve and handled all of the ones I could find.  (Bob Lee, Hummingbird, Stryker, Palmer, Hoyt, Kota, Foley, Holm, Tortelli, Hill Country, Zipper).  My biggest issue is the grip - it has to be comfortable for me.  The only one that worked for me was the Schafer Silvertip, and only the A riser (the smaller one).  I went right to Dave's booth as soon as I got there on Friday.  He had one that met all my specs and shot great, but while I was walking around thinking about it, someone else bought it.  Hey, you snooze, you lose.

I did stop and talk with a guy about his Cari-bow Taiga and the grip on that felt very nice, even though I don't normally care for a bow with a thumb rest.  It isn't as pronounced as say a Fedora.  I would love to have tried a Wes Wallace or Tall Tines, but couldn't find one to try out.

Offline team fudd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 12:25:00 PM »
very impressed with the hill country bows,  The k-2 in particular.  So impressed I ordered one.  Roman is very accomadating and I should be shooting it before rut kicks in.  Pics will follow when my new baby is born.  Macassar ebony and cocobolo with hard rock maple accents and macassar limb veneers.

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
Ummm..... this one-

Story will come later. Just amazing...

Offline jomama

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
Zippers new longbow,shoots like a rocket and feels good in the hand!!

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
I want to be like you Bill, when I grow up...sweet find you lucky dog! just don't tell Jim about it...

Zipper's new prototype is awesome! The bow smokes an arrow like a scalded dog. I go back a ways with the Zipper line of bows and find it pretty amazing how Bill and Tracy keep refining their craft. They also build one heck of a quiver (Thanks again for stepping up for me Bill!). Chompin at the bit to get me some of his evolution limbs for my Zipper TD curve...

I had my Wallace Mentor at Denton Hill and a couple folks danced with her. Most guys who shoot her come back and say "How much?" Ah, I can't cut her loose. Besides, Bill just built me a quiver for her...

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline sam barrett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »
I had a great time at Denton Hill and shot every bow that I could get my hands on.  As far as the recurves go, believe it or not the Hoyt Buffalo was the best in my opinion.  Got a great deal on the bow and quiver together.  Man can I shoot that bow good.  Smooth as butter, no shock and quiet.  I also loved all the Timberhawk bows.  Scott's recurves and longbows are awesome.  I ended up getting one of his longbows and will definitely be ordering a takedown recurve from him in the future.

Offline pitt98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 02:25:00 PM »
I was really impressed with Hill Country Bows, but left ETAR ready to order a new Fedora 560 take down.
Damon Howatt Super Diablo 54# @28
BW PSA 60" 51# @28
RER Arroyo 58" 60# @28
Kwyk Styk 54" 54#@28
Eaglewing Talon 11 62" 53# @28
Zipper Nitro 60" 47#@28
Allegheny Mt longbow 60" 40#@28

Offline 4Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
I have shot most of the vendors bows @ Denton at one time or another.  (Didn't shoot Zippers or Shaffers yet).
I like Ron Foley's bows, Mike Palmer's bows and Ben Graham Hummingbirds but the bow that impressed me the most was Dryad's Epic ILF.  So much in fact that I bought a 17" riser with 38-42 lbs long recurve limbs and then tried out a second pair of long recurve limbs 53-58 lbs and took those also.  The bow is 62" amo but with the radical recurve hooks the strung bow equals the length of a normal 60" recurve.

The thing that sold me on this bow is the riser (good grip, small shelf in just the right location) and better yet the lighter wt limbs set at 40lbs shot my 29.5" GoldTip 55/75s with 200gr field pts exceptionally straight, as well as shooting 30" 75/95 GoldTips with 250gr field pts acceptably well.  These arrows should have been way overspined but they flew like darts.  The cast of the light weight limbs seemed to equal the heavier recurves I have been shooting.  When I get the chance I will run various arrows through the chrono and try to post a review.  
I also shot some of the ACS CG longbow limbs and I will soon have some of those.

Absorb this - I shot a 13" riser with a set of ACS CG limbs that made the bow length 58", set @ about 36 lbs at my 29" draw and it shot my 55/75's perfectly well.  Yes to say I was impressed is an understatement.  Mike Westvang and John Havard were very patient with my questions and my trial shooting so a big KUDO to those guys.

Offline 2 Barrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
I almost hate to say it.But the best shooting bow i shot all weekend was the hoyt excel with short tt limbs.I shot alot of beautiful bows. But this combo just worked for me.
Never trust a bald man with a pony tail.If he's not honest with himself.He wont be honest with you.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
This one that I brought home. A Holm-made River Runner, silent and dead in the hand, awesome craftmanship.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Chad makes a nice bow at a reasonable price. That one sure is a great looker!  :thumbsup:
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
I think my son and I shot every bow in the place. His fingers still hurt. My favorite was a Northern Mist 66" Classic. Just drilled the target, shot after shot. That said, nothing IMO quite measured up to my Hollenbeck 50's style recurve.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©