3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ft Stewart or Ft Benning for hogs?  (Read 794 times)

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ft Stewart or Ft Benning for hogs?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:17:00 PM »
If they are using the elevated platform at the Ft Stewart office it is like 25 ft high. What BS
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
Its what happans when people that don`t bow hunt make the rules.RC

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:00 AM »
I have seen this dance before.  Fort Belvoir has this exact q-course.  One of the GS tractor drivers a S has cozied up with the FB back room gang and has swapped hunts. We caught a bunch of guys gun huntng in the archery areas in those days. IMHO Nothing harder than hitting a white plate with no markings without sights on a white background . Many of the compound/crossbow folks believe this type of Q will limit the wound losses.  Funny, GA (as well as VA) is a crossbow state.  I wonder of one will have to buy a xgun or target wheel bow to qualify, then hunt with the bow of choice.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »
I called Willie, (Hunting Office Manager) and he just returned from leave so he is out of the loop on the new reg. He gave me Justin's number( the biologist) that helps to write current regulations. I called and left a detailed message on my concerns. Hopefully he will call back. More to follow.
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »
I don't plan on hunting FS or FB anytime soon.  But I will say I appreciate the time and effort you're putting into representing us WhiteOaks.  I had hoped to make it down to that area someday.  And being a former service member myself, I was going to take advantage of the property.  This gives me hope.

Thank you again for being our voice.

-Jeremy  :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 09:25:00 AM »
Jeremy,

Thanks. I have heard Fort Benning Hunting suffered considerably due to the Armor School moving to FB. Use to go there all the time and people that work there tell me most of the hunting areas were cleared and the ones still available are packed with hunters. Stewart is big and wild. I've got to get this straight for the trad guys.

Randy

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 09:57:00 AM »
Latest Update.

Just got off the phone with the Biologist. Justin. He said this qualification was based on a request from the Garrison Commander to ensure hunters were proficient with their equipment. The writers called Fort Belvoir to get their policy. Justin admitted that traditional archers were not considered in the process. I asked him to go back to attempt to amend the reg for trad archers. He asked me what would be a fair test for trad archers. I told him most trad guys should be capable of passing the test @ 20, 15 & 10 feet shooting on the ground or 10 feet up in a stand. He will take my suggestions back to COL Milton for an approval to amend the reg.
Justin apologized about the oversite and said he would do everything he could to amend the reg.
If he is not successful, I will ask every TG'er to email their complaint to a central site where DOD takes issues, complaints, and concerns.
Thanks in advance for everyone's help should we need it.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 10:09:00 AM »
What about gun hunters, are they going to have pass a skill qualification test. How about small game hunting with a bow, no test?

I am truly not trying to be difficult, and I really appreciate what you are doing and will help in any way I can, but this test is a slap in the face to bowhunting regardless of the standards. I was stationed at Stewart from 97 to 2000, I am now retired  and continue to go back to hunt and fish but doesn't look like I will be from now on. I have been on several post sanctioned dog hunts on Ft Stewart where we line up on roads with shotguns and buckshot and blaze away at anything that runs past,in one morning we killed 48 deer and 20 some hogs, I accounted for 2 deer myself. All legal and condoned by Ft Stewart biologist to clear game off the ranges. No telling what was wounded with the buckshot and they want to talk about bowhunters.

I can pass their nonsensical test with my Truth, no problem, but I will hunt on WMAs. If you can't tell I am still fuming. Chris

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
Chris,

I understand. I didn't make this rule. I'm simply trying to work through it for the TG'ers.
Let's work to get the bowhunting to a reasonable point we all agree to. You are more than welcome to voice your concern to the man that made this rule. That would be the Garrison Commander. COL Milton. You can find his email on the Fort Steward website.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Andy Adams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:00 AM »
SJ,  
I just moved from Benning to Stewart.  Benning   is overrun with pigs. They used to give a $40 per tail bounty. Anyway, not sure about Stewart.  I bow hunted exclusively on Benning. Shot many hogs and deer. No shortage of either. Go to the Benning website and become familiar with the check in/out procedures.   There is no archery qualification requirement unless that changed last year. I was in New Mexico last year and did not hunt. I have found some great spots for hogs.  I'll send you some 10 digit grids!

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
SJ_Lutz (if you,re still out there), I believe Ft Stewart will have more hogs, because it is swampier and they had plenty when I was there in the early 1980s.  Keep in mind the military's priority is training, so they will open or close hunting areas at the whim of any commander.  Between two wars and the base realignments and closures, the training areas are probably quite busy.  I imagine "cantonement areas" would be closed for training less often.  I would call ahead and explain what you want to do before making firm plans.  

Every post seems to have its own rules, but all require a hunter safety card and require you to sign in and out.  Some will let you roam a given area while some will tell you exactly where to sit and which way to shoot.  Some even want you to take classes on unexploded ordinance safety.  

In the grand scheme of things, I think we're lucky they allow hunting at all.  When I was at Fort Bragg years ago, a bowhunter in a treestand was shot and killed by a squirrel hunter.  With idiots like that out there, its no wonder they have idiotic rules.  Their rules are intended to prevent mishaps, not make it difficult for people to hunt.  They don't need a reason to stop all hunting on their property if that's what they want to do.  Installation Commanders have total power and their priorities are always:

1.  Military Training
2.  Safety / Liability
3.  Wildlife Management  

Good luck.  Despite the rules, military installations are a great resource. - John

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 11:10:00 AM »

In the grand scheme of things, I think we're lucky they allow hunting at all.  When I was at Fort Bragg years ago, a bowhunter in a treestand was shot and killed by a squirrel hunter.  With idiots like that out there, its no wonder they have idiotic rules.  Their rules are intended to prevent mishaps, not make it difficult for people to hunt.  They don't need a reason to stop all hunting on their property if that's what they want to do.  Installation Commanders have total power and their priorities are always:

[/QB]
With fellow bowhunters believing this nonsense we are truly doomed and in a few years only the upper elite will be hunting. That squirrel hunter should have been charged with murder, tried and convicted, instead of more idiotic laws and regs implemented on honest, conscientious hunters. I think I will bow out of this thread.
Chris

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 12:22:00 PM »
I am trying my best to refrain from responding to this thread, but I can't help myself!
True I do not believe in more regulations, but concerning militray bases, they do have a much higher standard to hold to and also many other considerations to take in effect and I truly feel it is just an honor to be able to even hunt and fish on these installations, cuz in many other installations, this is certainly not the case.
I can agree with the 20yd test, but do not see the necessity for the 30yd test as well, especially considering the ranges that we normally prepare and shoot for, BUT, really, if someone cannot put 2 out of 3 arrows in a 9in circle at 20yds under some pressure, should they really be shooting arrows at live game at unknown ranges under hunting situations?  Now true 30yds can be a stretch for many shooters, but I imagine that if most people interested in hunting on the base will actually practice and prepare for the test, it will not be that difficult to pass the shooting test at 20 and 30yds with their equipment, it is really not that difficult and as I said, with practice I am sure most will have no problem with doing this.
Ok, flame on, but those are my feelings and like I said I appreciate the opportunity to hunt these installations and will abide by whatever regulations they deem necessary to ensure we still have a place to hunt and go and do my best to not cause any more problems or concerns for them.  Their place and their rules!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:00 PM »
I`ve been blessed to have hunted with one of the best pure woodsman I believe there is. He is a killer with a longbow and has probably killed as many or more animals as the top 5 that visit this site. 3oo + big game animals .I`ve shot and hunted with him and can tell you he would probably not pass the 30 yard test.
  Its about like having a muzzleloader test at 250 yards. The weapon was designed for much closer.
  I just came in from shooting. I hit the 20 yard plate 31 times then missed about 2" on the 32nd shot. I hit the 30 yard shot the first two times then missed 4 times in a row.This is with a Hill Big 5 and Simmons tipped arrow.
 Gonna hang up my bow...NO
Gonna shoot 20 yards and less...YES.RC

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 12:47:00 PM »
Wow........I guess this'll learn me about asking a question.....  :)

Hopefully common sense will break out at Ft Stewart and a more realistic qual will put in place for us trad guys; I don't suspect they'll toss the qual process out entirely tho.  It is frustrating that there's no universal DoD standard for hunting on post.  The same buddy and I have turkey hunted the past few years at West Point, and that process was as smooth and reasonable as it could be.  

Thanks very much guys for all the info guys, and I really hope that the Stewart regulars are able to get something worked out.

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
It's a great place to hunt and I'll do what I have to to hunt it. I'll know Friday if they will change test

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline sj_lutz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »
That would be great Andy!  Pretty sure I can still work a map and protractor......

Originally posted by Andy Adams:
SJ,  
I just moved from Benning to Stewart.  Benning   is overrun with pigs. They used to give a $40 per tail bounty. Anyway, not sure about Stewart.  I bow hunted exclusively on Benning. Shot many hogs and deer. No shortage of either. Go to the Benning website and become familiar with the check in/out procedures.   There is no archery qualification requirement unless that changed last year. I was in New Mexico last year and did not hunt. I have found some great spots for hogs.  I'll send you some 10 digit grids!

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 01:23:00 PM »
I am believing they will take another look at the regulations and make them a little more reasonable for the trad guys, but who knows, sometimes things just don't go the way most reasonable people would see them.
It would be intersting to watch some people shoot it with all kinds of equipment just to see how they do and I imagine that once they start testing people it will be quite an eye opener for them, and probably not in a good way I assume!
RC I have no doubt you will be able to pass the test, just visualize the circle is fur and you are golden!

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »
Sorry, I am not bowing out after all.

Mark,
Why in the world is it an honor to be allowed to hunt on military installations? We do them an honor by bringing in millions in revenue and controlling wildlife populations. I spent over 20 years in the Army and have hunted and fished on a lot of installations and overall they do an OK job but I can't believe that you guys are OK with bowhunters being singled out, traditional, compound or crossbow. What about the gun hunters, should they not also have a qualification? What about the slob hunters that don't worry about their marksmanship and blaze away at running deer at 150 yds with their semi auto hunting rifles? Or the gun hunters that don't even worry about zeroing their rifles? After all a gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, no matter if it is a bullet or an arrow. What about buck fever how are they going to cure that? I've known some dang fine shots that make some awful shot on game just due to nerves.

Ethics can not be regulated or inforced no matter how many new laws and regs are passed. And after all, it is not the government's place to regulate ethics or morality, it is our job as hunters.

In Germany you have to attend a long, expensive class in order to obtain a hunting license which includes a qualification test. When you pass and can afford to be a member of a hunting club you go hunting with a guide called a jagermeister that points out the animal for you to shoot, after the shot the land owner gets first choice of the meat and trophy. Bowhunting is absolutely illegal even for small game. Under these circumstances hunting is very safe and the idiots and most of the population are excluded. Chris

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 04:21:00 PM »
Yes I am familiar with European hunting, have been over there a few times myself and it is definitely geared to the priveledged to say the least.
But a military base that allows civilians access for hunting and fishing is considered an honor to be able to participate in as they are strictly controlled and with many security measures in place and it is a gift for them to allow us to utilize the area as most bases do not allow civilians open access to the installations like these areas do and I would not take it for granted. This is not a WMA we are talking about that is open to the public and bascially publicaly centered, but where our government trains our fighting forces, #1 use of these bases are for training our armed forces not public use, so yes I do consider it an honor and priviledge to have access and so should any person that get's to use it.  They could care less about any money brought in by hunting/fishing nor any animal control efforts, they can certainly handle that all themselves very easily, and I am sure that dealing with the hunters/fishermen probably cost them more then anything they bring in.  They certainly do not have to let any civilians on the property but do, so we should be appreciative of that and support them as well.
I don't see how anybody could not see the distinction between a military base and WMA and the unique opportunity we have.  If it is abused, misused, etc. it can be taken away.  
I know it is a pain to deal with all the regulations conerning hunting and fishing there, but that is the sacrifice you make to use it.  It is not a given right but a priveledge!
Now as far as archers being singled out, I agree, but unfortunately that seems to be the case in most situations as we always have had to fight for our way of doing things.  If they are going to issue a competency test I would love to see all users be subject to this test, but that ain't likely going to happen since most people in control seem to think that archery is less efficient then firearm hunting even though we all know there are alot more animals probably wounded with firearms then bows,number wise, but apparently there has been some sort of problem occur in the past with some archery related incident for them to single out archers on this or else it all has been brought up by the opening of the cantonment areas which are archery only and they have concerns about wounded animals in those areas.
Understandable on their part, not understood as well on our side, but from some of the posts and comments I have seen pertaining to this issue it does appear legitimate since many some people have expressed their inability to accurately place their arrows on target at reasonable distances so maybe there is some merit here!
Boy, that should get some going!!!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©