3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ft Stewart or Ft Benning for hogs?  (Read 792 times)

Offline amazonjim

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ft Stewart or Ft Benning for hogs?
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
WhiteOaks,

I know this is sort of off the subject but which bow will you hunt with, LOL

Offline Fisher Cat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Mark, Thanks for your responses.  I'm glad there are still folks out there who don't have a constant sense of entitlement.  FWIW, If I recall correctly Aberdeen Proving Ground used to make you qualify with slugs before you could hunt with a shotgun also. They would then drive you to your assigned stand in a bus, show you where to sit, explain your "fields of fire," and let you know when they would be back to pick you up."  The one time I hunted there, I had a (legal) doe come to within 20 feet of me and all I could do is look at it because it was behind me and out if my firing limits. The whole thing was pretty stupid, so I didn't go back.  

At one time or another, I've hunted on Ft Stewart, GA; Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD; Ft Bragg, NC; Ft Bliss, TX; and White Sands Missile Range, NM.  I have to say Ft Bragg impressed me the most.  They had a really effective wildlife management program and a decent level of control through common sense rules.

Chris, I knew you couldn't stay away.  Hunting already is largely a sport for the wealthy.  Instead of blaming the military, I would blame the "industry" which has opened people's eyes to the amount of money hunters are willing to spend to hunt.  Thanks to the industry and television, licence fees are higher and landowners who used to allow hunting now charge for it. It is the inevitable result of increasing human populations and decreasing amounts of huntable land.  Wildlife is a resource and "the monkey don't dance for free."  I don't know about you, but one of the biggest things the military tought me was that life isn't fair. - John

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 05:54:00 PM »
The Military pays my bills I love the military, but I abhor ignorance. My tax dollars, yes us military retirees still pay taxes, pay for that land. My permit dollars pay for many things on post. It has nothing to do with entitlement it has everything to do with fairness.

I have no idea what you are talking about, Ft Bragg is the worst post I have ever hunted on. They have no automated system for signing on and off areas and all of the ponds and facilities are very poorly maintained. The best I have ever seen is Fort Huachuca which only allows active duty, retirees and GS civilians to hunt on post. Maybe that is the answer. Chris

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »
What is going to happen to the NR hunters ? Am I going to drive 11 hrs and then not pass the 30 yd test ?

I have seen 1st hand how such military rules have played out . I hunt at Letterkenny Army base and at one time they had an archery qualification test. It was a 20yd. test . For some ( both trad and compound ) the pressure was to much. I have a friend that kills a lot of game but cannot shoot targets in front of people.
The archery test was abandoned.

Every year there is new rules depending on the commander. At one time you were not allowed to shoot white deer. After a guy cut himself with a saw, we were not allowed to have saws.
Last year the commander incountered a pile of human waste in the field while walking the dog  . If it happens again hunting will be closed.   :scared:
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline WhiteOaks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Amazonjim
Thanks for asking
I got a 70 super k that needs to kill something
Will use it first
I could say whichever one I can qualify with
A world of opportunities awaits upwind but nothing waits downwind.

HH Wesley Special
Two Tracks Echo
Mohantongo Redtail
Mohawk Sparrow Hawk
Bear Alaskan
Bear Super 48
1958 Bear Kodiak

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2011, 06:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by mark land:
...or else it all has been brought up by the opening of the cantonment areas which are archery only and they have concerns about wounded animals in those areas.
I think, more than likely, that's what brought this whole thing on.

...but from some of the posts and comments I have seen pertaining to this issue it does appear legitimate since many some people have expressed their inability to accurately place their arrows on target at reasonable distances so maybe there is some merit here!
I've shot in a good many traditional tournaments, some of them fairly high profile like the IBO World, and to be totally honest, there aren't that many traditional shooters out there that could pass this test, especially from an elevated platform.  There are a few, but it's a very small percentage.

I think there are alot more folks who could pass this test at  truly  reasonable distances, but 30 yards is a stretch, IMO.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Interseptor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
So to the guys that live close enough to hunt Ft. Stewart, what will you do if this new rule stands?  Mark Land, do you plan on taking this test? Folks have been hunting Stewart for a long time and when bad rules come up, I would expect anybody to ask question and raise objections.  Thats one of the privileges of our society.  And I think it is dangerous to label people as having entitlement isues because they question this isue.  Makes me think sometimes that we are not the brotherhood of sportmen that we always want to portray to the rest of society that we are. And RC was right about the rule.  And I think he has had enough experience bowhunting Stewart and in general to back the position up.
Palmetto Traditional Bowhunters
Carolina Traditional Archers

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
I did say I agree the 30yd test is a bit much and hopefully they can make a change to that, which I am sure they will look at.
But yes, I will take the test and do whatever they want me to do to have the opportunity to hunt the base when I choose to go.
I have shot with alot of tournament shooters and many more casual shooters and the difference is very dramatic to say the least.  Some of the best trad 3-D/target shooters I know can shoot softball sized groups at 40yds, but of course they are a select few, but have seen many "good" shooters do very well at 20 and 30yds and of course many others that struggle to hit a 3-D target at 15-20yds, so there is alot of variety in shooters out there.  But I do believe with practice, many will shoot alot better then they think if they practice those shots well.
I'm trying to lay off of this as to not offend anyone, but I do believe that when you actually get down to it and challenge many trad shooters with their actual field accuracy under pressure, it can be alarming!
I have been practicing those shots and can do it, is it easy, of course not, but doable, yes!  Just have to make it count when the time comes, but then again with the pressure of shooting a live animal, I can't imagine that being any worse then a shooting test!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2011, 05:41:00 PM »
You've driven several hours to get to Ft. Stewart to take your "scheduled" archery test. The wind is gusting and it looks like rain. Now you've got to decide what to do: 1) pay the fees ($5 PLUS the permit fee ??) and take a chance 2) reschedule, get a motel room and hope for better weather the next day 3) get your firearm and go hunting 4) go home. Nice options!
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
I changed my last post and am done with responding to this thread.  Hopefully some changes will occur in consideration for Trad hunters and I can understand the limitations of some, but if not we will have to live with it and if you choose to hunt the base you will have to abide by their rules.
Good luck to everyone and have a great season!
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »
Bill and Dave. If Stewart don`t work out for you I will be happy and honored to share a campfire with you on a couple of my other public land honey holes.RC

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »
RC , might have to take you up on that. I have been trying the 30 yd. test and it don't look good.

Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
The problem is not 30 yds, it is the fence right in front of you, and a white plate on a white target. Combined with stage fright makes it dang tough. I find it hard to believe the test is for the entire base. Stewart is as close to wilderness as anywhere east of the Mississippi.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »
I agree Michael. I hope they rethink this thing. I`ve hunted there for years and hate to think I may be to poor a shot to hunt it again.RC

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I have a couple of spots as well, and scouting out some more week after next. I plan on hunting pretty hard during squirrel season for some pork. Good luck to you guys and it is a dang shame about Stewart. Chris

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2011, 07:25:00 PM »
Thanks RC, really looking forward to hunting with you again. I certainly hope we can work something out. Stewart is a wonderful place and I sure would like to be able to hunt it again.
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Nala

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 03:33:00 PM »
Which one is better for hogs?

Nalajr

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
It just keeps getting better.  

FS/HAAF Archery Qualification Schedule
The following times have been established to qualify potential archery shooters on Fort Stewart/HAAF:

Thursday 1400 – 1800
Saturday 0800 – 1100

Participants will register at the Pass and Permit Office on FS or at the Outdoor Recreation Office on HAAF and will receive a qualifying sheet. Cost is $5 per session. After completion of the qualification session, successful shooters will be issued a qualification card and the Pass and Permit staff activate an Archery pass in HunTrac within  24 hours of completion.
Participants will be required to hit 2 of the 3 targets at both 20 and 30 yards.
Additional sessions will be scheduled if demand warrants.

Looks like bowhunters could possibly waste a day or more getting through this process.

Not so tough on the locals, but the out-of-state hunters are gonna have it rough.
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline snakewood3

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:00 PM »
I wonder if they would accept a state bowhunters education card in lieu of this, especially for out of state folks. I believe they accept out of state hunters ed cards for non resident gun hunters. Lets approach this intelligently and hopefully it might be resolved in some manner.
 I have spent many a wonderful day hunting the beautiful land encompassed by Ft Stewart. All should be able to enjoy it blessed habitats.
U.S. Navy Seabees '79 - '86
Custom knives and leatherwork

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2011, 03:05:00 AM »
I know here at fort rucker in alabama all that is required is that you have passed a hunter education course,there are lots of hogs in fact the permit is free to hunt them.
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©