3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Woodsman vs Snuffer  (Read 468 times)

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
Woodsman vs Snuffer
« on: August 01, 2011, 02:24:00 PM »
Is there a big difference?  I've always liked my snuffers but I hear and read good things about the woodsmans as well.  Has anyone field-tested both enough to see where one performs better than the other?

Thanks,
Rusty
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Woodsman vs Snuffer
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
I can tell you the woodsmans shoot quieter for me than snuffers.  Their lower and longer profile should improve penetration in theory; a concern for me as I've dropped from 50# to 42# for whitetails.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I have never shot a snuffer but I really like the woodsman especially the new elite versions.
James Kerr

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:03:00 PM »
The Woodman should/will theoretically improve penetration and are possibly quieter in theory, but MY GOSH the holes those Snuffers leave!!!  If you shoot a heavy enough bow, bigger is better IMO.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
They're both very good broadheads. In the end, like everything else, it will just come down to personal preference.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
In the 125gn range, I'll take Woodsmans over Snuffers any day.
I've had a coupleof failures with the light weight Snuffers, but never a one with Woodsmans (I'm talking the Originals here, not the new Elites)
For heavier points, I prefer the 160 Snuffer, but as awbowman says, you need a little more 'umph' behind it.
As far as 3-blade heads go, I think that for smaller, light skinned game (Whitetail, Black Bear & Antelope) the big Snuffers are tough to beat. For anything bigger I'd lean towards the Woodsman (Or one of it's derivitives)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 06:28:00 PM »
Woodsman is a great broadhead for women and children.  Men shoot Snuffers.  LOL.

Bowmania
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 07:11:00 PM »
Shot the Snuffer SS for years and really like the heads.  Did some penetration testing (shooting into phone books).  All things equal, the WW Elite penetrated a full inch deeper.

I read that they're both being produced by Magnus?  Not sure if there's any truth to that?

Shooting a 46# recurve, the Woodsman is now in my quiver.  Better penetration with the same 3-blade hole.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Steve Shedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
I like them both for deer; penetration (WW) vs. larger hole, ie. better blood trail (Snuffer) - take your pick.  I prefer the Snuffers on turkey though.

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
Snuffers are pretty studley.

My quiver for elk this fall will hold 2 VPA's and one Snuffer. If that bull is broadside the Snuffer is on the string...
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:21:00 PM »
I agree with Rob - if you want light heads I'd recommend the Woodsmans (Woodsmen?) - the Snuffers were designed to be the full sized heads (160 gr without adaptor) and to make them smaller they just grind more off.  The 145 gr heads (without the adaptor) are OK, but I REALLY don't like the 125 grain Snuffers - they took too much metal off.  I thought guys talking about failures with Snuffers were full of BS....'till I saw some of the 125's...Now I understand that.  You won't wreck the 160's, the 125's, I ain't so sure.

As far as penetration goes...theories are great, but for whitetails, bears, etc.  if you are at 50 lbs or above with a reasonably performing bow, penetration comparison is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned.  When I was in high school I shot thru several deer and bears with full sized Snuffers out of 52-53 lb bows, no problem.  That was before "broadhead lethality tests" and the Internet though, so maybe the animals are tougher now.....

Ryan

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:00 PM »
FYI - Magnus was making both the Snuffer and original Woodsman - the Woodsman is made using Snuffer ferrules, wouldn't be possible without them.  Magnus is no longer making them, it is an outfit in Louisiana or Mississippi now, I think.

Snuffer "SS"s and "Woodsman Elite" are nothing like the original heads of either species.  A totally different animal.

Ryan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »
Ha! Ha! Ryan!   :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:     The Internet has made the animals tougher good one!

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I love both heads to be honest. I think every shot has many factors to take into account, so it's hard for me to compare penetration on game. I've shot through animals with both and vice versa. The one area I think the snuffer shines is wound size. The hole that thing leaves in an animal is ridiculous.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
having hunted and shot hogs with both, i prefer the longer and leaner woodsman - better penetration for me with lighter holding weight bows (50-55#).
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:44:00 AM »
The Woodsman Elite is a VPA product. No doubt!! Have to say I think it's a cut above.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Breakfast Boy

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »
I was shooting Snuffers, and liked them a lot, up until this year.  I'm going with the VPA 3 blade Terminators.  I can't say enough about how easy the VPA heads sharpen.  Just a few light strokes with a small file and they didn't just take off some arm hair, they shaved off a LOT of hair!  I would either check out the Terminators or go with the Woodsman Elites, since they will be made with the same material and high standards as the Terminators.  Just my two cents, which in today's economy is really only worth a half penny.
-Jameson

Membership Secretary
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

www.comptontraditionalbowhunters.com

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
For me it totally boils down to bow weight and performance. A low poundage bow and short draw length I would go with the Woodsman. a bit more umph and I would shoot the big snuffer. Bigger the hole the better in my opinion.RC

Offline Rusty Snuffers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks all for the input.  I'm currently shooting the 125 snuffers with 100gr inserts from my 50# Samick.  The same broadheads with the "light" inserts out of my 55# hunter punched through deer well enough and hardly slowed through a jave at 12 yds (through the gristle behind the shoulder).  I like the look and "beefyness" of the two.  I was just thinking I might try the WWs when it comes time to replace my broadheads.  I may give them a go.

Thanks again, Gang.  As always, your info is invaluable.    :thumbsup:
Black Widow PSA V 48# @27"
Samick Deermaster T/D 50# @28"
Dale Dye Good Medicine 50# @27"
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost."  JRR Tolkien

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »
I am able to get the Snuffers sharper.......
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©