3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: best squirrel tip?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline hammer08

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: best squirrel tip?
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
I like to use old broadheads from previous years. That way you don't get so upset if you sink one into a tree. Plus if you hit one with a broadhead it's dead. I've hit them with field points and had them try to run off with my arrow.

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
you guys use sharp broad heads or dull ones on squirrels

Offline mongoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
hammerheads work good for tree rats. I have heard flu-flu's that are not full height can work, I guess they are not as noisy  :dunno:
stalk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline mark land

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Rubber blunts are just not enough for squirrels except for solid head shots, the Muzzy SG-X is what I like the best and does a great job on those and slightly larger small game as well, but also had good luck with Ace Hex and other similar style heads.
They'll be no quitters till we bag us some critters!

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
I havn't every had any problem with Ace Hex heads.... Maybe I have just been lucky.  I wouldn't use blunts unless you you are going to make head shots only.  (I'm not that good...yet!) I say no blunts because last deer season I watched 2 squirls get into a heated fuss about one of them taking another one's acorns and the loosing squirl fell from 80' or so to the ground. i know he bounced 3' high just from the impact and that fall didn't slow him down the least bit.
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »
I have killed a few with a bladed washer type thing, great description I know, that goes on your arrow behind a field tip. I have killed 3 or 4 and am happy with performance.

Best tip I can give is try to shoot when they are on the side of the tree. Doesn't seem like they can move as fast and dodge the arrow like they can on the ground. Chris

Offline tmccall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
Do the game laws allow for broadheads in a squirrel season where deer season is closed?  I would be afraid to roam the woods during a squirrel only season with broadheads.  I figure the game warden might frown on it...
Tony McCall

Jesus.  There is no other name...  Acts 4:12

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
NUTTERS!!!! They are perfect for squirrels and inexpensive. If you're shooting carbonara, then you can glue them on a broad head adapter
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
crazy glue and stainless wingnut screwed in the wood....with 38 casing
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2011, 03:31:00 PM »
I watched my buddy hit one full on in the temple last year with a 100 grain judo from a 45 lb grizzly and the thing ran off!  He ran it down and finished it with a 3 blade 100 grain muzzy.  This thing had a knot on his head like you wouldn't believe from the judo hit! I mean he took it like Rocky and kept on keeping on!  Those dudes are TOUGH.
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »
Don't ever underestimate their sight or hearing. They'll bust you as quick as any animal in the woods. It kills me when people here equate hunting squirrel with a recurve with hunting them with a shotgun. They simply don't realize what a challenge squirrel hunting can be.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I would give advice, but 1st I have to actually hit one. Soooo close so many times!

Seriously though, look for piles of shelled acorns or nuts at the base of a tree. They will likely sit and eat on a branch directly above that or eat right there at the base of the tree. If you shoot one, stay put and don't move for a couple minutes at least. Another will be along directly.

Good luck!  :archer2:   It's fun.

Offline Nook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 04:39:00 PM »
Little tree ninjas.  Them suckers duck a arrows all the time.  This one didn't see the Woodsman coming.  He was coming down a deadfall log. When he went behind a little busy cedar. I drew and released as he appeared.  Nice addition to the Brunswick stew.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
PBS Regular

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »
Another vote for broadheads for grays. Lost too many to any other kind of head. Like old beat up broadheads "blunted" on a grinder. I think if squirrels were deer sized we'ld need elephant calibers to hunt them!!!!
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 06:43:00 PM »
Tmccall, Here in indiana they can be hunted with any weapon or ammo. Rob
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I like a blunted broadhead. They are too tough for blunts.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline wollelybugger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
My best tip is to skin them when their still warm.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I also have shot a few with blunts. They would fall to the ground and run like a scalded dog! Bheads for me. I like to hunt them on rainy days. They seem to like to be on the ground or low in the trees. Plus you can slip on them quietly. I hate loosing arras!
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Looper

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:59:00 AM »
I killed a dozen or so last year. All on the ground. Most were killed with those Talon heads from Redfeather Archery, until I lost them all. I did kill a couple with a judo, a couple with old broadheads, and one with a Hammerhead. They all died pretty quickly. The head shot ones died instantly.

I paint my shafts white, too. It makes them a lot easier to find.  Of course, I'd do something different in the snow.

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
I use Talons as well.  looper, you can try putting a Zwickey Scorpio behind your Talons if that will help keep you from losing them.  Working on a new website and would love some pics if you happen to have any from last year.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©