3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow selection  (Read 183 times)

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow selection
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
Greetings, I've caught the trad bug and recently got my hands on a 1974 Howatt Hunter 45# @28". My draw is 28.5". I've been reading a lot about determining draw length/arrow selection etc., and these are the arrow selections from the "charts".
Aluminum = 2018 & 2215, Carbon (Beman)= 400.  I will eventually get some wood arrows as well, but leaning towards carbon with 125 grain points.  Am I in the ball park to get going?  Will fine tune as I learn.  I ask because I've read through other posts that some charts like Eastons don't do it for some.  Please share your suggestions. Thanks.

Offline BowHunterGA

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow selection
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 05:56:00 PM »
I still shoot a few carbons and both sets I have are coupled with 125 grain points. One set is Easton 400s, the other (and I really like these) are Heritage 250s from Carbon Express. They look like wood and are a little heavier than normal carbons. Mine weigh in at about 500 grains with the 125 grain points. The look good, fly well and out of my 55# Howatt Mamba they scream. I will eventually replace these with wood but I still have a dozen or so nothing wrong with them. I have not shot aluminum in years, just hate the metal sound of the aluminum arrows.

Offline Chub

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:27:00 PM »
i might try 2016 alum or carb 500

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Go with a .600 spine carbon like the Goldtip traditional and use a 50 grain brass insert and 125grain point, leave it at least 30"s long. Everything is gonna be stiff that you mentioned, the 2016 may work if you leave it at least 30"s if not longer with 125grain point. Shawn
Shawn

Offline HuronArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:31:00 AM »
Thanks to all.  Being new to the site, I enjoy reading all that is going on, and the info to get me going.  Off to the archery shop for some arrows!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©