3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY elk hunting- how to get started  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY elk hunting- how to get started
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Shinken,

Altitude sickness is a weird phenom.  It can jump up and bite you when you least expect it.  Some years it affects me and some not and there doesn't appear to be a pattern.  Usually if it does, it is only a dull head ache for 36-48 hours.  Haven't had anyone in camp that was severly affected but have heard stories of guys having to leave the mountain and get lower ASAP.  Have tried the tums thing and can't say one way or another that it helps but we always have them available.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2011, 07:40:00 AM »
This thread is jam packed with great information for anyone thinking about elk hunting.  Save it to your favorites - fantastic reference!  

So often I hear guys say that they have elk on their dream list to hunt "someday".  Don't let the years pass you by.  Make the commitment and just do it!  

I think that many guys are simply intimidated by the entire planning process.  And that really can be a stumbling block.  But all that it really takes is some research, and once you start you will discover that the research and planning process is actually a lot of fun by itself.  As John suggested, search the internet, make some phone calls, order some maps, and get started on finding your very own elk honey hole.  

I've been blessed to have done a number of elk hunts, and now I try to do one every year.  The only regret that I have is that I didn't start sooner.  I wasted many years that I can now never get back.  Don't let that happen to you!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 09:06:00 AM »
Whip, your thoughts echo mine. I love the preparation process. I dont look at it as work, but rather part ofthe whole experience. It sounds like a lot, and in some ways it is, but preparation builds confidence.

I too wish I had started elk hunting many years sooner. My thought on this trip are this- I'll bein elk country until we both tag out, or until the season runs out. Either way, elk or not, I get to spend a month in the back country. I never gauge the success of a huntsolely on killing an animal. If you plan, prepare and enjoy your time in the mountains, you are never unsuccessful.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 09:19:00 AM »
Here is my gear list. There are a few smaller items that arent on it, but this will give you a starting point. Since there are 2 of us, some of this gear is divided between the 2 of us to spread out the weight.

Elk Hunt Gear List

Kifaru AG2 backpack with Cargo Chair*
Kifaru Paratipi with Small Stove
Big Agnes Air Core Insulated inflatable Sleeping Pad
Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag
Kelty tarp
Tyvek ground cloth
Thunderstick MOAB takedown longbow*
GFA quiver with  7 arrows ( 5 BH 2 Judo )*
ParaOrdinance Tac-S   .45 ACP with spare  mag.*
Kahles 10x42 Binoculars*
KAtadyn Hiker Pro H2O filter(with spare cartridge)
Aqua Pura water purification drops
Delorme PN60 GPS with SPOT*
Snow Peak Giga stove with fuel cannister
Snow Peak Titanium cookse, small plastic fork and spoon.
Sawvivor  Lt. Wgt. Folding saw
Compass/Maps
Platypus 100oz H2O bladder
2 headlamps
1 small LED flashlite
Clothes
Sitka Jacket
Sitka Vest*
Sitka Mtn Pants *                                 1pr
Sitka Ascent pants                              1pr
Sitka Core Zip LS Tshirt                      2
Sitka beanie*
Sitka ballcap*
Sitka gloves                                         1 pr
First Lite Merino Wool Briefs*  1pr
First Lite Wool LS top base later*      1
First Lite  Long johns base layer      1pr
UA Briefs                                             1 pr.
First Lite Wool LS top*                       1
Cabelas Fleece Hoodie with WS     1
Cabelas packable rain gear        
Vermont Darn Tough wool socks *                         3 pr

Asolo boots*

*denotes items worn. 1 extra set of Base layers and pants carried in backpack. Total of 2 sets of clothes on bivy trips.

Hunt Gear
Topo Maps
Sm notepad/pencil
Compass
Camera
Sheath knife
Elk Bugle w spare reeds
Cow calls
Elknuts playbook
Windicator powder bottle
Spare bowstring w/ nock and silencers attached
First Aid Kit
1 small roll Coban gauze
Bandaids
Steri-strips
Skin glue
Betadine wipes
Neosporin
Duct tape

Personal Hygiene Kit
Soap
Sm towel
TP/baby wipes(dehydrated)
Toothbrush/paste
Prescription meds
Nail clippers
Anti-chafe stick
floss
Survival Kit
Fire starter- cotton balls, char cloth, pine pitch, lighter, matches, flint striker
Space blanket
Emergency poncho(plastic)
whistle
Kill Kit
Game bags
 550 cord
Knife sharpener
Havalon knife/spare blades
Orange tracking tape
2 lg zip lock baggies

Base Camp Gear

12x12 Canvas Pyramid Tent
Large air mattress
Wood stove
Zodi camp shower
Frying pan, 2 qt pan
Hatchet
Small folding chair
Small lantern ( Battery Op)
Platypus gravity feed water filter bag

...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
This is a super thread and couldn't be more timely.It will help hunters for years to come.Really nice of you to take the time.

I used to backpack hunt a lot.I began my preparation with a check list and it was divided in groups like this:

1.Camp-tent,ground cloth,sleeping bag,pad,etc

2.Kitchen-stove,fuel,food etc.

3.Toilet gear-toilet gear,first aid etc.

4.Clothes

5.Hunting gear-bow and everything else.

6.Clothes

7.Misc.-lights,camera,batteries,compass,map,all the odds and ends that don't fit in the above groups.

Once I broke it down in these groups,it was easy to take one group and work on it without forgetting something.If I needed to pare off some weight,I'd go back to each group and see what could be substituted or left out.

In my really rabid years,I had a complete check list of all my gear,with weights of each item.I could go down through the list and set up a pack within my weight limits for a certain trip.

In the off season,when I was months away from being able to hunt,I found that the conditioning program and preparing my gear kept me from climbing the walls so bad.

I don't mean to hijack your thread.i just found that breaking my check list down into categories made it seem like a much less daunting task and seemed to keep me from missing things that I might need.

I sure appreciate your effort here.Good luck on that hunt.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Jim, you're not "hijacking" anything my friend. You comments are welcome, and are what make threads like this helpful. Good thoughts for sure. I just added a pic to the previous post, as you can see I also keep my "kits" in small bags to keep gear organized. Theres nothing worse that haveing to dig to the bottom of your pack every time you need something. Keeping it organized also rprevents lost gear. I use something, then put it back right away. Leaving gear sitting out in camp over night could be a bad move if you wake up to 6" of snow!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:26:00 AM »
after gathering your gear- practice-practice practice.

A few thoughts on practieing for elk, or any other larger game than your usual deer sized critter. Try to shoot at a similar sized target.
Elk are way biggerthan deer.For those not used to hunting them, its common to under estimate the distance as the larger elk will appear to be closer than it really is.

I use the block target as pictured for broadheads, but also use a large burlap bag target that is very close in size to the chest of an elk. I place it at elk height and shoot at it from varying distances. I toss arrows all over the yard, and shoot each one from where it lands.I shoot from my knees a lot, and awkward positions. Also, its important to shoot with your pack on, and your hunting clothes. Another good practice is to run a couple laps around the yard etc, getyourself good and winded, then shoot 1 arrow.
Like any sport, preactice like you play. Build good habits. Every shot, envision that bull stepping into the clear, snot dripping from his nose, looking for a fight. Then make the shot.

couple years back I was dialed in before I left for the hunt, easily packing broadheads at 30 yds in groups smaller than a paper plate. Well one morning we had a big herd bull come in, looking to a fight. He was fired up, screaming his head off as he slowly swaggered in to our setup. He stopped broadside tome at about 30 yds, and as he scremed and chuckled at Bob, my caller, I came to full draw. My heart was about to pound right through my shirt. Exciting? You betcha!! But When I drew, I couldnt help but notice my arrow was bouncing on the shelf. YEah, I was shaking, the adrenaline of the situation was off the charts! While I knew I could shoot at that range, its a whole different game when its a screaming bull intead of a quiet bag target. Needless to say, I didnt kill that bull. He coninued in head on then turned at 20 yds and looked right at me. Go figure. The memory of that hunt, I'll replay in my mind until the day my family scatters my ashes in the mountain breeze.

There is no drug that could ever reproduce the high of an adrenaline charged encounter at stickbow range to a fired up bull elk. Nothing, nothing can compare. I am blessed to have had the opportunity to experience such excitement in such beautiful places.

Its my hope that those considering elk hunting can find some inspiration, motivation and information from this thread.

I leave in 19 days.

Hunt hard, shoot straight and enjoy the moment!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
One final side note I forgot to mention. The sidearm. Again, personal preference. I carry when Im not hunting. Its a personal protection choice. There are plenty of bears, and mountain lions in the area I hunt. While I don't worry too much about it, I carry a sidearm when in the back country. The other reason, you never know who you're gonna run in to. Wilderness areas are no stranger to dirtbags looking for trouble.

As for the weight of the sidearm, to me its a non issue. I carry it all the time when Im not hunting, so adding it to the waistbelt of my pack is no big deal.

If you choose not to carry, thats fine. Chances are, it will never come out of the holster.

Offline tracker1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
John, you started a great post I just hit 40 last December and a elk hunt is on the bucket list I have to get motivated and get in shape before I get to old to do this hunt.  Good luck and shoot straight.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Nice.Really a well thought out list.That comes from experience.I started using those Havalon knives a year ago and have kicked myself a lot for not trying them sooner.Nothing but the orange handle for me.Thanks again.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »
I found some basic things to help me get going. With these basic rules, you will eventually be successful. I am successful every year, in the sense of getting close to elk, but sticking one is tough. I get better at it every year.

Be prepared to walk a lot. You don't have to go fast, but look, listen, and keep moving until you are into them. Get off the path for crying out loud!! Use common sense and gage the age of sign.  That takes practice too.

Stay hydrated.

Calling early in the year will yield variable responses.  Don't expect a video scenario where you call and they run in!

Maintain a positive attitude, they appear at the oddest times.

Take a wilderness skill course so you can carry less "stuff".  

Pressuring the same herd too much will send them away! Scent is your enemy. They have crazy good noses. You can scare them a few times before you have to look elsewhere usually.

Once you find them, learn the area for future seasons, it will help you get a game plan for the next year(s).

This thread is very useful!!

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 01:36:00 PM »
One thing I thought of I forgot to mention when hunting is the wind, and specifically-thermals.
These dastardly little devils will cause you fits if you dont heed close attention to them.

As a general rule- Predawn cooler air pushes downwards into lower elevations, drainages etc.
AS the sun warms the air after sunrise, they will reverse, and the warmer air will begin to drift upwards. The transition period can result in a lot of swirling air currents.

Later in the afternoon, as the sun starts to drop below the tops of the mountains and hills, the air will again begin to cool, and reverse course back down hill.

Remember this- hunt down in the mornings,hunt up in the evening and generally you'll be ok.
Check th ewind often. I keep a thin thread on my bow tips and watch it all the time when in close to elk. If you find its switching, you may have to cut a wide circle around and start your stalk all over. Be flexible, and do not hesitate to cut off a stalk due to wind change and regroup.
One noseful of stickbow man, and that group of elk will show you their white rumps and are outta there!

Those same fickle breezes will tip you off to elk nearby as well. Elk stink. If you're slipping along with the breeze in your face and smell something like a barnyard, STOP! You're in them. Or else you're close to free ranging cattle LOL, but you get the idea.

Another lesson I learned- the area i've hunted previously was adjacent to a working sheep ranch. Ranchers often graze those sheep on national forest lands via grazing permits. Those flocks of sheep are tended by hired hands,and they use guard dogs. They look like cute little Aussies, and another bigger breed. They are no joke, and if you get close to those sheep, the bigger dogs are trained todo one thing-protect the sheep. They will tangle with a bear or lion without pause, and you are no different. Also, a lot of the herders are immigrants who come here to work, and dont speak much english. But, they are on horseback all day, and can tip you off to elk locations. a little barter sure helps. Don't hesistate if you run across someone tending sheep or cattle to as kthem whre theyre seeing elk.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 04:02:00 PM »
I'm also planning my FIRST DYI elk hunt this year and although I've not hunted out west I have camped and fished from CO to AK.  Just thought I'd add a couple of things from my perspective.

First off, as been mentioned in several threads an elk hunt is like a lot of things in life; if you wait until you think you have everything you need you'll probably never go.  Don't let the long list of gear scare you off.  For the most part if you can do a Memorial Day camping trip you can do an elk hunt.  You may not be back in the wilderness but you can enjoy a good time in the mountains chasing elk.  Figure out what you can afford and then set priorities.  

I've heard it said a lot on this site that "You get what you pay for."  Often this is true, but I counter "you buy what you can afford"  A lot of us have to make up for what we lack in revenue with sweat.  That may mean hauling a heavier pack, putting up with less than optimal gear, or making our own gear.  Some people can brown bag a lunch and skip eating out to get their gear, I have to do that to be able to go in the first place.  I can chose between a wearing a $500 outfit in my living room or go hunting in what I have.  Not that I'm knocking people who can afford to outfit themselves the way they'd like.  I'm just not one of them.  But each year I'll try to add a best-in-slot item to my gear.  Until then I make do.  I'll list a couple of things I've done to equip myself on the cheap.  

* Buy used equipment, as mentioned already some good gear can be had cheap second hand.

* Borrow Equipment or better yet find a hunting partner that has everything. LOL

* Hit the thrift/goodwill stores, It's become a ritual for me now.  I've got some NICE wool items for cheap at even my stores in the south.  A few nice Merino and cashmere sweaters for $3 apiece, 2 nice pendelton wool shirts, a wool blanket, and I've got two pairs of tropical weight wool dress pants (grey and brown houndstooth) that should work well in warm weather.  I've gotten several layers for my Dad and I for less than $50.  Also check out the linens for pillow cases to use as game bags, and you can get good leather garments for leather material to make other gear for cheap.  Don't neglect the sections with household items, there may be something you can use at your campsite.

* Make your own gear.  I made an alcohol stove out of soda cans I picked up as litter and an empty peanut can.  A nice working stove for just a little of my time.  A coffee can cut to size nests down into the others and serves as a boiling pot.  Browse the net for ideas from the hiking/camping community.  I got Tyvek for ground cloth/emergency tarp from visiting construction sites and asking for their leftovers.

* Use what you got.  It may not be optimum but it will work.

* Improvise.  There's things that can be re-purposed if you take the time to think about it or do some research.

Anyone else have some cost savings suggestions please post them up.  I'm always looking for more.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 06:29:00 PM »
Talon makes some excellent points. The key point to remember is camping is camping. Plan ahead and go as light as you can. Once you have your camoing situation settled, its time to start huntin.

The biggest hurdles for us flatlanders across the river is gas expenses getting there, and the price of NR tags. Once  that is settled, your of to the races.
I was lucky enough after I retired I had the funds to invest is some top ofthe line gear.
But I hunted elk 4 times before that, and built my gear arsenal along the way.

While I mentioned avoiding wearing cotton clothes, I nderstand that may be all you have.
If thats the case, just beware that if wet you an get into trouble in a hurry, so be prepared. I have worn cotton, and I carried extra clothes, shirt, socks etc in my daypack just in case, along with a good set of rain gear.

The key is dont put off a dream. You probably already have a good supply of hunting and camping gear that will serve you well.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 06:40:00 PM »
This one is going in my favorites.  My first elk hunt is scheduled for 2014 unless my rich uncle gets out of the poor house.

Thank you for such a thorough and informative thread.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline jhg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
I suggest trying to choose clothing that does more than one thing. Part of a layer system. Can be warn when its hot of cold, in camp or on the hunt. Jackets, rainshell excepted, I feel are garments that can be left in the truck for a lot of hunts. Its lighter and more versatile to layer up to get the same performance, in a smaller package, usually.
Instead of bringing one heavy underlayer and a light layer I bring two slightly different lighter weights that seperately worn cover a broad temp range, but together are even warmer than that single heavy layer.
One layer is real fuzzy and the other thin and sleek for hot days. Worn alone its like a t-shirt but with another use- when its cold.
If you research and understand how these garments work you can find them for less. The down side is usually they are not quite as nicely finished or don't have the cachet. They won't be offered in camo, so get black or green.

Some great ideas in this thread. Thanks.

Joshua
Learn, practice and pass on "leave no trace" ethics, no matter where you hunt.

Offline BradLantz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 07:59:00 PM »
the first year I went I had myself, a map of a wilderness area in Colorado, a propane burner and a bottle of propane, a pan, soup mix and a REI superlight tent and bag. Pretty simple - I backpacked in, I hunted hard, I killed a 5x5 and had an exceptional hunt that spanned a 3 week period.

next fall (just had ACL surgery) I am going back to the same area. I'll have a backpack, a jetboil, mountain house type meals, a water filter, a light tent and bag and not much else.

my equipment will be a bit better, I'll have a SPOT or satellite phone for emergency, but basically go in, hunt hard, experience elk hunting in the Rockies and ENJOY IT ALL

I can go into details on how I elk hunt, etc, but guys if you want to go, GO! Do it! You can hunt from a truck/tent/trailhead, you can backpack in - other than the tag and cost of driving out etc you CAN DO IT

aint nothing like elk hunting in the Rockies

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Brad, I remember many a fishing trip as a teenager with just the same accomodations. I had a orange pup tent I bought with the credits earned selling garden seeds door to door as a kid, ditto for my on e burner coleman stove and sleeping bag. I think every garden in town was planted with the seeds I sold. Oh the good old days.

I'd throw it all in my old car, a few cans of beans and some hot dogs and pop tarts and off I;d go steelhead fishing. WOke up buried in snow more than once from a late spring storm, but man I was livin it up.

Did the same on the property I deer hunt. I;ve camped in a multitude of different tents, pop ups etc. These days fish camp and deer camp is my 30' travel trailer. Its warm and cozy, but inside I always yearn for a tent, and sleeping bag in wild places.

I guess I gotta give up a little secret- I dont kill many elk, but it gives me a good reason to go on awesome campin trips and I can bring my longbow along too. try that in a state park and see what it gets ya LOL.

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:00 PM »
Excellent thread, ive hunted elk in two states on 16 different years, this year my 17th, this is about the most informative shorthand version of a prep plan as ive ever seen. Spot on advice from some on who has done it, not a pro team member who pays there way to game, great job.

Offline The Night Stalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
If your go far back in, there is a fine line between being frugal and dead. I have seen a freak storm come in a get you soaked through and then freeze. Hypothermia is a bad thing. I had to get my guide back to camp as he was getting symtomatic. After that experience I bought the best gear I could. I hoarded stuff and kept it for 3-4 yrs before I went out west again. I went last year and had a blast. I am updating my gear list for this year. Its an ever changeing thing based on needs. I have my gear on excel and weight each individual piece. I should be carrying about 55 lbs this year.
Speed does not Kill, Silence Kills
Professional Bowhunters Society

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©