3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: DIY elk hunting- how to get started  (Read 2299 times)

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: DIY elk hunting- how to get started
« Reply #60 on: August 05, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Autumn archer,  You had mentioned you carry your sidearm when elk hunting.  What caliber?  I carry a .38 revolver here but I know that is not near enough gun for protection from grizzlies or brown bears.  What bears are present in CO?  Is there a minimum caliber you would recommend.  I've only killed one bear and that was with a two blade magnus out of a Bob Lee bow; but he wasn't charging me either.

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2011, 07:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by Talondale:
Just wanted to add one nice resource I found for remote scouting. Traildamage.com is an 4x4 site that has a lot of reports on 4x4 trails in various states out west and they have some good reports on conditions of roads and difficulty rating and sometimes lots of pictures of the area.  This can be very useful info if going into a new area that you will be accessing using a 4x4 trail.
Best thing about that would be to find an area that hasn't been roaded.
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2011, 08:25:00 PM »
Supposedly there are no grizzly bears in CO, I'm bringing a 44 mag regardless.  Just would like something lighter than a Ruger.

I'm thinking of getting a Taurus Tracker for the trip.  Super light and comes with 4" ported barrel.  Anybody with any experience with this gun.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
Just got a used 44 Tracker gun shoots great only draw back is , I guess to save weight it will only hold 5 rounds.And you cant shoot the super hot heavy rounds such as the famous Garret hard cast rounds cause the cylinder is shorter than a standard 44mag.You can still get some good rounds for it just watch the overall cartridge length , with that said if you cant get it done with 5 good 44mag rounds your in a bad spot.Im still in the air as witch to carry my 10mm Glock 20 or the new Tracker the Glock has the #s going for it but I love a good wheel gun also.Hope they never come out of our holsters but in todays world it aint just bears and wolves we have to worrie about.
 Anyway love everyones posts been getting all my gear in order for my 45 day hunt in Idaho.Thanks for all the info guys its a big help seeing how the rest of the world does things great stuff here.I will be after Elk , deer , wolf , got my 2 bears in the spring so cant hunt them anymore so Im sure a hudge one is going to come by at 5 or 6 yards.Cant wait I leave out on the Aug 24th and dont come back til Oct 2nd the days are getting slower and slower.Im sure my trip has already improved with all the help and ideas from this so Thanks guys,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:00 PM »
Sam, can you point me to a better short barreled light 44?

BTW, thanks for the great comments from all of ya'll.  I leave the 8th , but this post has made me pack my pack just to feel the weight on my back and close my eyes and dream that I am already there. LOL
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2011, 01:33:00 AM »
I carry my .45 ACP with FMJ rounds. Same gun I carry most of the time for personal protection, I just carry FMJ while hunting instead of JHP's.

Im not bear or cat paranoid, but ya never know. I carry most of the time anyway, so its no big deal. I have a Balckhawk Serpa holster with a great platform that clips into the MOLLE webbing on the waistbelt of my pack. I just ordered a quick release, so I can remove the holster from the waistband and snap into one on my belt- thought here is if Im cutting up an elk in the dark, my gun us useless if its on my pack 20' away. I can clip it on my belt so if I need to scare off a curious bear its still on me.

Couple years ago I had a really cool encounter with 2 yearly bears. We had bumped into them going in to set up on some ponds one afternoon.
THey ran off, but returned a while later.  I was leaning against a cluster of aspens, and they were about 10' from drinking from a puddle in the trail.
One spotted my daypack, which was right in front of my feet, and came over to investigate. I could have scratched his ears! He sniffed at it, and I shook my bow at him. He jumped back, looked at my pack again (power bars inside it) and gave it another sniff. I calmly told him to leave it alone. He didnt like the tree talking to him, and he and his brother wandered towards my partner, who was 40 yds behind me, laying doen along side a deadfall calling.

A few minutes later I heard the cub let out a howl, and bust outta there. When they wandered over to Jim, he saw jims boot sticking up on the log. He came over and sniffed it, then he licked it. Jim said he knew what was next, so he kickrd the little runt in the nose and sent him packing. LOL. Very cool experience. I didnt have my sidearm with me, nor my camera. I wasnt so much worried about the yearlings, but not knowing where mama was was a little unsettling.
THat was probably the coolest thing Ive ever experienced while hunting. How many people get a chance to be that close to a bear? Both of them were beautiful chocolate phase blackies.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline stickbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
this is a great read please continue.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2011, 10:17:00 AM »
Autumn archer,
Great story, what an experience!!  Good thing the sow wasn't around.  That'll be a story to tell the grandkids someday!

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2011, 11:09:00 AM »
Autumnarcher,I remember you mentioned in your list 2 head lamps.I just wanted to touch on that.If you plan on moving before and after daylight and process meat after dark,that light means everything.I like to have two lights,both identical,where I can switch parts if I need to.You should at least have everything you need to repair one.Right now I'm using a Black Diamond LED head light.

Back in the '70's I was living in the city and left home after work the day before opening day.I had a 5 hr drive and a several hour hike in the dark and expected get to my camp site after midnight.

In those days,a favorite flashlight of backpackers
was called a Mallory.It held 2 AA batteries and you had to undo a screw in the side and the light came apart in 2 halves,in order to change batteries.On the side of the mountain,one mile from my intended camp,the batteries gave out.No problem,I had spare bulbs and batteries,only one light.It was no problem to find the batteries or get the light apart in the dark.My pack was organized and I was very familiar with that little light.

When I opened the light,I heard a "plink" sound and new instantly what that meant.One of the little metal contacts had popped out of the light and being mid-October,the ground was covered with a 6" layer of fresh fallen leaves and there I stood on the side of the mountain,in the dark.

I was in my mid 20's and had better night vision than I had sense and was determined to to get to camp.Tomorrow was opening day! I knew the country well and was on a hiking trail but the trail was covered with leaves like everywhere else and I just couldn't make it out most of the time.I couldn't use my compass and I couldn't see the occasional blazes on trees.I did eventually get to my camp site but it took twice as long as it should have and it really wasn't a fun experience.

I'm not sure why I even made that effort as I was to worked up over that light to hunt and at daybreak,had to get back down there and find that tiny piece of metal.I new the exact spot and it still took me one hour on hands and knees,removing one leaf at a time like a CSI detective till I held that little jewell in my hand.

I had taken for granted how important that light was to a 10 day trip where I needed to get into and out of my hunting spot and also cook, in the dark.I'm 61 now and haven't made one of those trips since without 2 identical lights.

Get a good light and take care of it.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2011, 03:03:00 PM »
I dont have 2 identical lights, but I, as well as my son both have spare headlamps, as well as a good LED  flashlight. I know some of the go light at all costs guys poo-poo the idea of such redundancy, but thats one area you really need to be in my opinion. The flashlight can stay inthe pack, but its always there for a backup. One problem with the backup headlamp is the switch design tends to turn itself on inside my pack. I just flipthe batteries around backwards until I need it so I dont pull it out to find it dead.  

The nice thing about the new LED lights is they are crazy bright, small, and batteries last forever. No parts to lose either.

Keeping your gear organized is important. Knowing what you need is always in the same place keepsthings from getting misplaced, or lost. We have small bags in our packs, each a different "kit". Kill kit containing what we need for field care of game, personals kit with toiletry items etc, survival kit with provisions for fire, water purification,first aid, and signaling. Inside at the top of my pack is aremoveable pouch for smaller items- headlamp,spoon/fork, fire kit, batteries etc. Everything in its place.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2011, 03:56:00 PM »
I agree with Jim, the Black Diamond head lamps are great - brightest I have used.  I carry two head lamps as well as a MagLite with an LED bulb so it lasts just short of forever.  Extra batteries for everything.

Just going through my stuff today.  One thing I never leave camp without is a package of Moleskin.  It will save your feet if you develop a hot spot mid day and you're 3-4 miles from camp.  I've had a moleskin patch stay on for over a week - good stuff.  You can get it at the drug store.

Also, I almost always have a paperback book in my pack for those days when you are just waiting for the thermals to change or are on stand an hour early.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2011, 04:11:00 PM »
awbowman prob the best lightest 44mag is a Smith 629 mountain gun best used price I have found is about $650. The days are going slower and slower , but it will get here before I know it.Anyone got any new info so I can go spend more money before I leave out for ELK,,,,,,Sam,,,,,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2011, 07:15:00 PM »
Going next year. Finally!
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Are you speechless Pete??  :p
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2011, 10:07:00 PM »
This is a great thread. I need a new job that allows me some time off.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2011, 10:26:00 PM »
Speechless?  ME?  That doesn't happen very often.  I can't figure out how I could double post 2 1/2 hours apart - deleted out what I could.

I need to go shoot some arrows.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2011, 12:20:00 AM »
A few thoughts on prepardness for an extended trip into the back country. First off, being fmiliar with your gear, knowing how it works, being able to find multiple uses for nearly every item in your pack will help you save weight, bulk and energy.

I teach an outdoors prepardness class at a youth hunter safrty camp every year. I only have an hour block to cover the raw basics. SO I key in on those priorities that will keep you from getting yourself in trouble should you become lost. The biggest 2 things are shelter and fire starting.

How many of you here, who practice with your bows, scout, prepare for the hunt, but never spend one minute practicing some basic survival skills??? Seems kind of dumb if you ask me.

I carry a small fire kit in my pack, with several options to get a fire going. First obviously is a lighter, which i rarely use. I actually prefer my flint striker and knife. Works when wet, doesnt run out of fuel, pretty reliable- if you knwo how to use it. Im always stuffing tufts of fuzz and different stuff for tinder in my pockets while walking in the woods.
A bit of fuzzy dried bark layers, a piece of birch bark, a chunk of bird nest, a ball of pine pitch, whatever i run across.

Hypothermia will kill you far faster than being thirsty, hungry or injured. Knowing how to get a fire started in less than ideal conditions, and make a makeshift shelter can be the difference in just spending a cold night in the wild, or being found dead.

My primary fireset is simple, a cotton ball smeared with vaseline, and my striker kit. Add a piece of pine pitch, or birch bark, a couple handfuls of very small dry twigs and you're good to go.

A little trick I learned, instead of sriking towards the tinder with your knife, hold the knife still and pull back on the flint stick. This will keep you from knocking your pile of tinder and kindling all over. It will still direct your spark forward, without knocking it all over the place.

Lighters are fine, till they get wet. Rain, snow sweat dripping on the end of it and its useless.
Matches are great, but if its windy, they blow out too easily.

None of us expect to end up in a situation we would call a survival situation. But its easy to have happen. Getting lost and not making it back to camp, gettinginjured, or simply finding yourself a lot further than you planned due to a long blood trail or  lengthy field dressing job.
A rapid change in weather can do it too. Under dressed, no rain gear etc can find you dangerously chilled long beforeyou make it back to camp. Learn the signs of hypothermia. Stop if youmust, and build a fire BEFORE it robs you of your fine motor skills, less you wait too long and are physically no longer able to start a fire.

You don't have to be in a remote wilderness to get into trouble. take the time to practice those skills beforehand. Learn how to, and build a debris shelter. As  you travel through the bac country, take note of things in your area you could use for shelter.

A couple things you should always keep in your pocket is a small fire kit( is use an empty Altoids tin), a good knife, and a whistle. Yelling for help is useless after a few minutes, and your voice won't carry too far anyway.A whistle can go forever, and can be heard a loong way off.

The reason I carry those basics in my pocketis simple- what if I lose my pack? It happens. A couple of bugles down in a drainage. You drop your pack, grab your quiver and dive in after them. They lead you on a little further, and a little further, until they give you the slip a sthe sun starts dropping below the ridgeline.
Now-where was it I left my pack? You get the idea.

Have a plan in your mind before problems arise. If they do,dont panic,sit down, think, observe your surroundings and situation, and plan. Shelter, and fire first. Water and lastly food can wait.

Hunt safe, and hunt smart. Enjoy every minute, and have confidence in yourself.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
The suggestion of making sure you have essentials on your person rather than in your pack is a great one.  I once experienced exactly the situation you are talking about.  Left my pack behind while chasing a javelina in Texas.  My pack held my GPS, compass, flashlight, etc.  I had nothing at all with me other than my bow and arrows.  

Fotunately, I was in an area that wasn't all that large and the setting sun allowed me to follow a relatively straight course in the direction I thought I needed to go.  I eventually made my way to a road and from there back to the truck.  But it was a much longer walk than it needed to be, wasted an evening of hunting, and in different circumstances could have been extremely serious.  I won't make that mistake again.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Very good advice to always keep fire kit, compass, flashlight in your jacket or pants pocket(and in your pack). Also good to leave a note at camp of the general direction you are hunting if you going alone.

Great info here guys, thanks for sharing.
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©