3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I broke a cardinal rule and paid for it in the end  (Read 765 times)

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I broke a cardinal rule and paid for it in the end
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Johnny,

It's hot enough around here. Don't want to deal more.

Troy

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
jhg,

After cutting the shaft to length I knew I had screwed up. You always know you did it wrong,,,, after the fact.

Troy

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2011, 04:36:00 AM »
Adding just the longer brass 100 grain insert compared to the short aluminum one is a big difference. Almost enough to make up for the heavier weight.The longer insert takes the bend out of near an inch of shaft.RC

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2011, 06:42:00 AM »
Dat is one heck of a bunny buster !
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2011, 08:20:00 AM »
You could kill a deer by just dropping that arrow from the tree over him!

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2011, 09:28:00 AM »
Bunny Buster,,, lol  lol  lol  lol

Yep,, drop on a deer and if nothing else it would break his back...   lol  lol  lol

Troy

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »
You may possibly be getting a false reading when using the 312 grain point at 29.75".

If you do not anticipate using that arrow and if you can possibly work down to 29", then you may find it was at least, worth a shot.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
Friend,

Kinda thought the same thing myself so I dropped some of the weights behind the insert and shaft shot stiff. When I added more weight it shot weak so I think the reading is prtty true.

I hade hoped to end up with an arrow that ranged from 650-700grs. and had a high FOC. Just didn't think cutting 3/4" off a shaft would change the dynamic spine as much as it did. My current arrows weigh in at 605grs and are 31.25".

Troy

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2011, 10:57:00 AM »
What's the problem?    :D  It sounds like you have created a nearly perfect buffalo arrow -- assuming it would shoot well out of a 70 pound or greater bow!!!!! The only drawbacks I see are the trouble and expense of adding the 12 weights and the lack of the footing that Montauks suggests. With the right broadhead, that setup would be the bomb for Africa or Australia.   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
Talked to Ed Ashby about the set up and he says it's dang near perfect. The weight and UEFOC would be great for buff if I was pulling 65+ lbs. Don't think I want to try it with the 55# bow I'm shooting. For everything I hunt here in OH I'm thinking it's a bit overkill.

Troy

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
Troy,

Not surpising that it took an arrow with ~35# less required spine for you set-up to tune with an Ultra-EFOC arrow - Quite typical.

Same length arrows will tune at least two different places. Your current set-up and Ultra-EFOC. Thirty to thiry-five pounds less of the required dynamic spine generally gets me in the ball park when building Ultra-EFOC arrows.

I still suspect you may be getting a false reading when using the 312 grain point at 30.5".

If you do not anticipate using that arrow and if you can possibly work down to 29.75", then you may find it was at least, worth a shot.

Note: I read your post incorrectly regarding your final arrow length. Also, I could not come close to the 605 gn wt using ICS 300 Hunter's at 31.25" w/ 250 up front.

Best of luck!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
Troy,I think as you added weights behind the insert and they kept getting closer to your balance point,they were having less affect as opposed to that weight being at the insert or point.It normally wouldn't take that much weight to compensate for 3/4".If you want to build an arrow like that in the 650-700 gr range,get some Victory V Force HV 3 shafts in .300 spine.Use a 100 gr brass adapter and your point weight would be app 300 grs,give or take,depending on shaft length etc.Using 175 gr and heavier glue on heads with 75,100 or 125 gr steel adapters,will get you any weight you need and it will be out front.

Don't get rid of that arrow.You can use it to split wood for the Winter!

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Like my mom used to tell me "that'ill learn ya".
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »
Scott,

Sorry for the screwup. When I first weighed the arrow it had a 250 point. Not wanting to use the larger points for target, I switched to 175gr point and 60gr behind the insert. For some reason when I added everything up I had counted the 21gr insert in with the weight. Brain said 256gr. After shooting I remember finding out that the shaft shot weak. I then added another 20gr weight to cover for the insert, thus coming pretty close to the 250 point.

JimB,

I've found that what you stated to be about right. Adding weight behind the insert really screws with your balance point. I'm going to order some of the 100gr brass inserts. This will put the 101gr I now have with the alumium insert and 80 behind it futher forward.

Troy

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
Bad brain and fingers,,,,,

To Scott it should have said shot stiff when I only had 60 behind the point.

Troy

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 08:27:00 PM »
I'm sure that none of the rest of us have done that.  :rolleyes:   Last year I was tuning Easton gamegetter 500's and decided that I would go ahead and glue the Inserts and cut the shafts from the nock end.  Would have been a good idea if gamegetters didn't have a carbon adapter at the nock end that breaks when you try to pull it out(if you can get it out).  Of course I didn't try to take the adapters out until after I cut my shafts.  :thumbsup:

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 09:17:00 PM »
Troy, try a victory v-force HV 300. The shafts are much lighter than the bemans. The slightly smaller diameter will also reduce the spine slightly. I might have an uncut shaft somewhere I could send you to try.

I'm shooting 59# at 29" with 29.75" total arrow length shooting these shafts with 450gr upfront total (100gr insert and 350gr point) out of my whip.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
BTW total arrow weight 670gr
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
chopx2 - I would appreciate it if you would keep the Victory VForce HV's a secret.
>>----> Friend <----<<

Offline Troy Breeding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »
After all the screwups I did the other day I desided to give it a try again today to see what might work. This time I started with a full length shaft. I installed the standard alumium insert and tipped it with the 250gr field point. Behind the insert I installed four 20gr GT weights.

The first few shots showed exactly what I expected it to show, weak very weak.

At this point I started by cutting 1/4" (want make the same mistake I made before). After afew shots that still showed weak I made a 1/8" cut and shot some more. Still showed weak, but only slightly. Well, more shooting and more 1/8" cuts.

Finally, a shaft that is shooting very faint weak. I'll hold at this point.

Final tally is 32.25" Beman Bowhunter 300 shaft, 250gr point, 21gr insert, and 80gr behind the insert. Add a 7" warp and three 4" fletching and my total weight is 692gr with 25% EFOC.

Not quite as much FOC as I was hoping for, but I'll just have to settle for it. The arrow shoots too good to mess with now.

The next step will be to order those 100gr brass inserts. This will replace the std. alumium insert and the 80 behind it. It should help push the balance point futher forward.

Live and learn......

Troy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©