3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Picking your "go to" bow?  (Read 611 times)

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
Picking your "go to" bow?
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:40:00 PM »
Ok,   like most folks here on TG,  I have more then 1 bow.   What factors do you consider when picking your "go to" hunting bow?  Is it simply which one you shoot the best?   What are some of the specific things that make you choose 1 bow over another??

Offline Pepper

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Picking your "go to" bow?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »
Depends on what I"m hunting, and the type of hunting ie; ground blind, pop up blind, tree stand or stalking.
Like a shorter bow for the blinds.
Archery is a family sport, enjoy it with your family.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
My first shot of the day with my 37# bow is usually a hair better than with my 42# bow's first shot of the day so the 37#er gets the nod as my "go to hunting bow".

I know the 37# bow can get the job done on what I bowhunt which are: whitetails, javelina and small feral pigs.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
good points Pepper,   im trying to narrow down to shooting 1 bow as the season approaches.   Im guessing that the "best" overall bow may not be the best bow for specific applications, i.e. ground blind bow may not be the same as your "open" ground bow etc.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 06:09:00 PM »
I have 3 bows. All 3 have special meaning. The first one I "honored" already by taking a deer with it. Now it's the next in line till I do the same, then off to the 3rd one. Ounce I get through all 3, I will start over again!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 06:45:00 PM »
With age, my old 21st Century bow is too heavy for me but I keep going back to it.  I have always shot it the best.

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 06:56:00 PM »
Some days I cant shoot any bow worth a crap but Ill be hunting with my psax .
" Live long and prosper "

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I have some recurves and a 54" longbow. Started shooting the longbow more because it fit well in the blind for turkeys. Now its my go to.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline DanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a "mistake" RD longbow that I made about 7 years ago.  It came in at about 51# at 27" and I made the grip a little narrow.  Found out, however, that it is the quietest and most accurate of the dozen plus bows I own. It goes with me on the first hunt of the year. Never fails me.
USN 1968-2000

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:03:00 PM »
Depends on what and where I'm hunting.  In the west for elk, I use my heavier longbows. In the upper Great Lakes in November, I drop down in weight.  For spring turkey season, I switch to a short recurve for hunting out of a blind.  Sometimes I just pull a bow off the rack that I haven't hunted with for a while. In any given fall, I might hunt with 4-6 different bows.  I have complete confidence in all of them or I wouldn't own them.  They'll all do the job.  The weak link is always the shooter.   :bigsmyl:

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:27:00 PM »
what are some of the things that "make" you go to one bow over another??

Offline BCWV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
I enjoy shooting all of my bows. I sometimes take 3 or 4 out and alternate between them in an evening session. I can shoot each one just about equally after a few adjustments. Some take a few more shots than others for me to be on with them.

I had one that I could pick up after a month or so of not shooting it and just go to work with it from the first arrow. I foolishly sold it. I ran into the fellow about 6 months later at an indoor shoot and he asked me if I cared to shoot my old bow. Same deal, right on from the first shot. I put my order in for a new one that evening when I got home. The new one fits me as well as the first one.

For me, that particular style of bow just works and fits me and my sorry form. I'm on the bowyer's waiting list for another also.
 That's what makes it my go to bow.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 08:56:00 PM »
I usually choose one and shoot it exclusively leading up to the season and hunt with that one. With anybow I own, I shoot roughly the same once I practice with it for a while. Shawn
Shawn

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I have one bow (out of many) that just calls to something within my soul.

Every time I pick it up, it feels right. It belongs in my hand.

I have bows I shoot better, technically. But this particular bow seems apologetic when I miss. I feel bad for it when I miss, like I ought to be trying harder with this bow than any other.

I feel an urge to shoot when I hold it. I can smell fall leaves & see in shades of orange, red & brown when I hold it in my left hand.

It somehow seems....poised, as if it's waiting forme to take it from the rack & take it hunting. Not target shooting, hunting.

That's how I picked mine, anyway.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline rjackson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:00 PM »
once i found the bow that fit me i was set. The bow i shoot is an extention of my body. It took 7 custom bows to find the one. When i found it that was it.I will never get rid of it!!! Still have the other bows and shoot them. But when i hunt i grab the ONE!!! Good Hunting,Randy

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »
Mood, mainly.
Silence is golden.

Offline todd smith

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Oh it picks me...     :archer2:
todd smith

Live wild live free

www.ToddSmithCo.com

Offline bear1336

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
Same old Bear T/D with maybe a differnt set of limbs some times depending on how the should feels that day.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, with bible in hand and loudly proclaim...WOW...What a Ride!!!

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 08:56:00 AM »
robtattoo,  this is why i posed the question, and you summed it up better then I could have!

Originally posted by robtattoo:
I have one bow (out of many) that just calls to something within my soul.

Every time I pick it up, it feels right. It belongs in my hand.

I have bows I shoot better, technically. But this particular bow seems apologetic when I miss. I feel bad for it when I miss, like I ought to be trying harder with this bow than any other.

I feel an urge to shoot when I hold it. I can smell fall leaves & see in shades of orange, red & brown when I hold it in my left hand.

It somehow seems....poised, as if it's waiting forme to take it from the rack & take it hunting. Not target shooting, hunting.

That's how I picked mine, anyway.

Offline Easykeeper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I have a favorite bow out of the three I own, and since there are some things about it I like better than the others I shoot it more.  Since I shoot it more I shoot it better.  Since I shoot it better I trust it more...and on....and on.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©