3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hickory Arrow Build A-Long - ("Lookee what Denton gave me!")  (Read 550 times)

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
Hickory Arrow Build A-Long - ("Lookee what Denton gave me!")
« on: August 01, 2011, 01:44:00 PM »
Now, if there's one thing I like to make arrows out of, it's hickory. Makes a nice, durable, HEAVY shaft that flies well out of my bows. I've got an upcoming trip to hog heaven this Sept, and some heavy shafts would be just the ticket. Enter Denton Hill and Bill at Allegany Mountain Arrow woods. A quick stop by his booth produced these beauties...

640-660 grain raw hickory shafts. 85-90 spine. Should make quite the hog killers. If not, they'll sure give the local whitetails a hard time. So stay tuned, because I'm going to try a build along with these...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory Arrow Build A-Long - ("Lookee what Denton gave me!")
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »
I will be watching this. I love arrow build alongs.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline b44mag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:00 PM »
what he said   :archer2:

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
Good start my friend!

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Chris, Bring those puppies over, I'll get them tapered for you   :readit:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 09:48:00 PM »
Tap-tap-tap

Offline Joe Subler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Bowspirit,  what kind of bow and what poundage are you shooting these out of?

Joe
62" Mohawk  53#@27"

Offline Flying Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
That's not fair, I am just working on a build-along for woodies.....
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that string! [/i]                            :rolleyes:              
Cari-bow Peregrine
Whippenstick Phoenix
Timberghost ordered
SBD strings on all, what else?

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 02:54:00 AM »
Just a few things before I start. I am not toting hickory as the do-it all wood shafting to end all wood shafting, and firmly believe to each his own. There is a reason cedar and fir are the more popular choices. They straighten easily, remain straighter, have an easier to read grain, stain nicer; the list goes on. That said, if you accept that hardwoods like hickory are more work, you can produce a heavy hunting shaft of unmatched durability.
Also, I hope most of you aren't looking for any contest winners. I figured this year I'd make my arrows simple yet functional. No caps or cresting; just straighten, seal, seal again, cut, taper, and fletch. With luck, I'll pretty them up with some nice red...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by Joe Subler:
Bowspirit,  what kind of bow and what poundage are you shooting these out of?

Joe
62 pound Kaibab longbow. I know these are heavy, but I just like heavy arrows better. It's the trajectory I've trained my brain to. Even my lighter Surewoods just break 700-grains....
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Ari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
I just finished my first set of Ash shafts and they ended up around 650 grains, wouldn't mind trying something a little heavier. Is that a common raw weight for Hickory?

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 08:30:00 AM »
bring it on, chris!     :clapper:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
Chris,
Sent you a PM
Ken Thornhill

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks Rob and Ken. Now, on with the show...

If there is one thing to tame a stubborn shaft, it's heat. Low, steady heat. Usually, I can get a set of hickories straight with just some hand straightening. It usually takes a few rounds, but I've been pretty lucky when it comes to just palming the arrows. With this batch though, I've brought out the big guns.
 A heat gun would work nice for this, but those of us on fixed incomes can just use the kitchen range. Simply isolate a bend in the shaft, and place it over medium heat, rotating the shaft so the entire section is hot to the touch.

Be careful not to scorch the shaft; any blackening or burning of the shaft creates a weak spot. Weak spots of any kind tend to work against what hickory has going for it. Not to mention, they provide a possible danger to yourself and others around you. If you want, rub some cooking oil on the bend so as to absorb the heat.
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 04:56:00 PM »
Once the bend is hot to the touch, take your palm (protected with an oven mitt of course!) and place it against the high point of the bend. Taking the back end of the shaft in your other hand, flex the end against the bend. Basically, if the bend has the front pointed off to the right, flex the back to the left.

Remember, use steady, even pressure. Trying to to too much at one time will work the bend in the opposite direction, and you'll go nuts trying to straighten these.
Sometimes, I like to incorporate a round-necked screwdriver at this point. Curt Cabrera had an excellent post on how to straighten arrows with one in the how-to section. Very helpful.

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000060

Stick with it. I like to do all the major bends first, then set them aside before coming back and working on all the little dips and bends. Again, it's all about not taking on too much at once.
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Now comes the process of sealing the shafts. Hickory, like all wood shafts, is susceptible to moisture. Hardwoods, however, are even more so. My first batch was sealed with a water-based poly. Sure, it dried fast and cleaned up easy. But that was it for pros. Once the elements found them, those shafts gave me more straightening fits than one would imagine. From now on, my finish is either Tru-Oil or a two part combination of Watco Danish oil and  Polyurethane. Since these shafts will see a mix of stumping, targets, and hunting, I chose the latter, more durable finish.

The first thing I do is sand every shaft down with 000 steel wool. Makes for a glossy smooth surface. Then, I taper the nock end before applying the finish. While a close friend is allowing me the use of his sander, I found I could get away with the hand held tool on these shafts. You usually can. That said, a sanding taper tool of some kind works best. I used to use a Woodchuck, and was more than pleased with the results.

-Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 09:53:00 PM »
Chris, Looking Good My friend   :readit:  )
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
Once tapered, I apply the finish. The first is Danish oil. I choose to do a natural-colored shaft, but the oil comes in numerous shades.
My favorite method is a homemade soaktube, but for time, I'm just wiping it on as per the directions. Most folks use this stuff to bump up the weight on fir, spruce, or cedar shafts. Hardwoods don't really soak up that much, but I like it because it soaks down deep into the shaft. That's important; poly just sits on top of the shaft, giving a chance for moisture to slip in.

After two coats, I wait 72 hours for them to dry before putting on a top coat of polyurethane. So, it's going to be awhile. Be back in a few days...
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
I can`t wait to see the result!!    :campfire:

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:00 PM »
Man, I would love to try some hickory shafts....but my 45# bows wouldnt be very inspiring flingin them heavy suckers very far! Lookin good!
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©