3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My son and I are headed to McAlester for the trad shoot this weekend  (Read 193 times)

Offline techieok

• Trad Bowhunter
Can anyone tell me how the shoot works? We have never competed against others and have no idea how the scoring works, how many shots are taken at each target, or what we really need to bring with us as far as arrows, etc. Just any heads up at all would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott..
We're making what once seemed impossible, simple. And what was once simple, impossible.~Me

Member Oklahoma Longbowmen

Offline STEVE R.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My son and I are headed to McAlester for the trad shoot this weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:56:00 AM »
The last time I was there it was like any other 3d shoot. Meaning one shot per target. The only thing bad was they put the targets behind the thickest bushes they could find. You really could not make out what some of the targets were. It was a tournament of luck rather than skill. I saw some parents with kids leave before they finished their round. These people were mad as heck. If you wait until late in the day  to shootyou will score better because all of the trash will have been trampled by the earlier shooters.

Offline Steve Shedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:42:00 AM »
It does "work" like other 3-D shoots in that you shoot one arrow per target.  The targets are not going to be in the wide open (not very many of them any way).  They are difficult because of debris (trees, bushes, etc.) in the way but all the shots are possible; there will be some of the "kill ring" exposed.
On Saturday, it's all longbows and recurves (longbows are wooden arrows only).  At the end of the day they take the top 5 shooters in each class and have a shootoff; that is fun to watch.  It might be fun to participate in; I wouldn't know that because I've never shot well enough to get there.
On Sunday, it's selfbows only (wooden arrows only).  Again the top 5 will have a shootoff.
It's a fun shoot but you are likely to lose or break some arrows so bring a few more than you think you'll need.
Also, if you get a chance, take the velvet tour.  It's worth your time.

Offline wscruggs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:47:00 AM »
I was thinking of going but it is going to be too hot. Be sure to take plenty of arrows. Good luck and have fun.

Offline MadDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 10:53:00 AM »
30 targets, lots of brush, the buffalo and the caribou will be 30-40 yards, a babboon on a knee board surfing over a pond(they fish the arrows out and you can pick them up at the end of the day) 5's-2's & 0's on scoring with 1 shot on each target. If you can stand the heat and your wllet can stand it you can go thru as many times as you like. Hope to see you there, and Good Luck
  :archer2:

Offline toehead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:58:00 AM »
get their early to beat the heat!  Most of the times i have been didn't get there early enough and you have a 20-30 minute wait between targets, plus some groups will skip around and really throw a wrench in it just when you get a good rythem and timing. It's fun though but the forcast is 105 for the weekend, and it is humid down there!
proud member of
Bowhunting Council of Oklahoma
Oklahoma Self Bow Society
Leedey Archery Association
PBS
Comptons Traditional Bowhunters
Pope and Young Club

Offline CEW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:18:00 PM »
This shoot is a blast you'll have a great time. I will not make it this year, have to take my oldest to K-State this weekend.

We have been going since he was 14, he's 20 now. Bought him a Bob lee stick Bow at the shoot that he still hunts with. My youngest was 11.

We always had a blast even with the heat and lines. There is so much going on with vendors and shoot off's and just shooting bows, the targets are sometimes hard to hit but that's where the fun is. you and your son will enjoy it.

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »
Will be going again this year, every year we say never again and yet can't wait to go back. Lots of fun, yes the shoots are tough but hey if you can do these an open shooting lane is a cake walk. Hope to see you there.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©