3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: can someone suggest a bow for me?  (Read 383 times)

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: can someone suggest a bow for me?
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 08:39:00 PM »
There are so many great bows to choose from that your options are incredible!  High performance, low poundage bows are not that difficult to find these days, so here are some things to consider first:

What bow grip feels the best to you? The grip is your connection to the bow, so it needs to be comfortable and promote accuracy.

What kind of hunting do you do?  Treestands, ground blinds, spot and stalk?? This might help you to decide on what length bow you might like to have.

Have you considered used? The classified section has some super bows with immediate delivery and good prices.

I own several bows that perform wonderfully at less than 45#.  To name a few, they are Morrison Cheyenne, Marriah Thermal, Black Widow, Zipper, Adcock TD Longbow, and Schafer Silvertip. This list is not exhaustive, but it might give you some ideas.

Good Luck!

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline dirtguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
I wish I had that dilemma!!!!

Shoot as many as you can get your hands on....
and then think about not spending all of that money on one bow.  You can get a real shooter for well under $750, and get some nice stuff to go with it.

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
Your pricerange is good, you can get a lot of 2nd hand high quality custom takedowns.
   If you want to save more money, you can go with a Martin Hatfield takedown. Production bow that shoots as good as a top of the line custom, just not as pretty.(IMO of course)
    ILF bow gives you many options of changing limbs, and of course all great recommendations above.(many more to come I'm sure)
    Another solid shooting bow for less money is Chastain's Wapiti takedown. Usually cheaper but the limb design stores a lot of energy.The Wapiti is probably the most surprising bow I've shot, I'm not a huge fan of how they look(design is cool but finish is so so) but thats just personal preference, but very powerful. A bow you dont have to be afraid to drop either, very rugged. He has in  stock new bows right in your price range.
LOTS of bowyers on this site will take good care of ya.
David M. Conroy

Offline ChrisM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 12:28:00 PM »
I'll jump out there and say bob lee bow.  By far the best shooting recurve i have ever shot and i have shot alot.
Gods greatest command:  Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 01:13:00 PM »
Son,

What the first post said: Easier to offer you advice on the "perfect woman" (who won't want you cause she's looking for the perfect man---or so I've been told by my female friends like Killy!)  :)  :)

Follow Tarz lead...save yer sheckles till you've shot some different bows.   Shoots are great intros.

Or, Find any store or pawn shop with a few bows, try them in your hand... not like shooting, but if it snuggles in there like a good woman, you're half-way there!

Get that first one as cheap as you can and work up! Also go for way lower poundage than you think. 20 yrs ago, I was young(er) and went from a few years of 67# compounds back to trad and could barely handle 45# BEAR!

few weeks of regular shooting and GOOD practice, that improved.
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 06:26:00 PM »
That question is like asking someone to suggest a girlfriend for you.  Brunette, Blonde, Ginger, Short, Tall, Athletic ?

Go to as many local shoots as you can, shoot as many bows as you can, get a feel for them.  Don't buy before you try.  

Buy used.  

Find other TradGang members in your area and learn from them.

Good Luck.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Terry Green:
Wow....a cadet member with $750 for a bow.

I'd take my time...and see if I could find a model I liked and shot well....and order a new one.  

Have fun young man.      :campfire:  
Like Terry said here....there are a bunch of excellent bowyer's that are TG members that should be able to build you something very nice to your exact specifications with a budget like that.... i could do it myself if you could wait till November for delivery.

I would try giving brother Sixby a call at 541-531-9217 ....
he builds a beautiful recurve and some very nice hybrid long bows too. i think he's got his list down to almost nothing right now too, so you wouldn't have to wait very long.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=31&t=000973&p=3#000034

Offline Sixby

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
Thanks Kirk.
You can check out website and review section to see some bows.
God bless you and good luck with your search.
Steve

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Stalker Recurves, Fortuna California. Bowyer South Cox. Tradgang Sponsor. Great looking and performing bows and a super guy to work with.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline sticksnstones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:00 PM »
I don't know ChrisM, that would be a dang nice bow for someone who might not appreciate it enough... That said 9305 and 9325 are marked down right now.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 02:21:00 AM »
bayhunter, how "bow hungry" are you? Do you have a bow of any kind to shoot now? One ingredient to a successful search is to have patience. If you can take your time to get your hands on as many recurves as you can, call bowyers, go to shoots, etc, it will make your ultimate purchase more enjoyable.

I hesitate to mention bowyers becaue there are many good ones and I hate to leave someone out.

Good luck!
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 06:27:00 AM »
try something out of the classfides lots of choices take a look at some schafers Imo best recurve on the market.however there alot of good bows out there an some great deals to be had.

Offline bayhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
shifting shadow im willing to wait for the right bow, im going to try to shot as many bows as i can before i buy

Offline turkey522

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
If you want a bow now check with Ted Fry at Raptor archery.He is a sponsor here has a lot used bows for sale.He has a really nice Bear B-mag riser with a set of 46# limbs.You can try different grips and heavier limbs as needed.If it's not what you like you can always sell it and get your money back.

Offline cbCrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 01:20:00 PM »
I see you are getting a lot of advice as to what bow to buy, however I think you ought to do some research of different makers, shoot as many as you can, and take your time as that will give you what you want far better than following the crowd and just jumping on a bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©