3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: warmest clothes  (Read 590 times)

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: warmest clothes
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
Wool. Gore Tex and other synthetics are great in certain conditions wool works better in a lot more.  I always get a chuckle out of conversations about heavy clothing.  There ain't no such thang! Unless we are talking about the Army extreme weather boot.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
The Heater Body Suit has legs and big "pouches" to put your feet in.  It doesn't take hardly any movement to open and shoot.  Opening the zipper is the most movement, and you're movement is hidden inside the suit.  Then all you do is reach out, grab your bow, extend your arms and  when you draw to shoot the suit falls down off your shoulders.  Nothing to it.  :bigsmyl:

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 12:12:00 PM »
The problem I see with the heater suit as it's made is that you have to get out of it to shoot.  I don't know about you but I've had deer come close them mosey around for 45 minutes before either coming close enough for a shot or leaving.  Since you can wear much lighter clothes in the heater suit it means sitting there with the thing open to the elements while you freeze and wait for the shot.  Otherwise I think it's a pretty good thing...though not as good as mine   :thumbsup:  Don't worry I'm not trying to sell mine, so the heater suit is the next best thing.

Wool in the alps or anywhere else in the world is fine if you're moving but it aint fine for sitting long periods of time in very cold temps.

Offline kbaknife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 12:44:00 PM »
When it gets down to about 15 F. I watch the Outdoor Channel.
When the last deer disappears into the morning mist,
When the last elk vanishes from the hills,
When the last buffalo falls on the plains,
I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom.
Chief Joseph

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 12:50:00 PM »
not going to lie, I wooled it up this past season and froze my rear end off when the wind hit hard. This year I'm getting that Predator Fleece with windblock for my outer layer. I'll wear the wool underneat if I need to.

I bought myself a kidney belt and a neck gaitor that has the pockets for the heat packs. I've read that keeping the kidneys and lower back warm is key to keeping the rest of the body warm.

Offline Michigan Mark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »
Once I went to wool many years ago I never looked back. A drawback is when you hunt in areas with burrs, tags and other seeds that stick to them the warmth is worth that price when it is needed.
...Mark

Offline justracey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
Under arwour Cold weather gear next layer Poly prroplene Then  wool Then coverd up with a good wind proof layer.
Just get outside and blow the stink off!!!

www.stjoeriverbows.com

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »
I'm in Minnesota as well, tried the wool and froze my arz off. Tried the Under Armor cold gear and froze my arz off (if your exercising it's good). The body suit looks like a sleeping bag (no thanks) I use the fuzzy poly long johns cabelas sell (looks like fleece - brown) warmest stuff out there (made from pop bottles or something). I don't think there is anything stopping cold in December here - I've tried it all. Browning XPO jacket and bibs are the warmest I've tried - but you can't walk or you sweat. The ASAT ultimate works well and it's what I prefer - but cold is cold.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
Surprising what a few chem heat packs tucked in strategic areas can do.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline MD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 05:18:00 PM »
I have done well by focusing on the base layers made up of merrino wool. If your near a Gander then try scent blocker layers about 230weight wool and nylon mix doesnt shrink up like some i.e justin charles.  ice breaker also makes good bases. I have used them dog sledding in Ely MN area Jan-Mar with good success.  Important to be able to sit in cold and snow without getting wet wool helps

Offline Maxx Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »
I to prefer to sit when hunting and as calgarychef writes I look for the down filled clothes,when the temp goes to -25c and if possible out of the wind. I will try the portable ground blind this fall to help. Maybe not necessary to bulk up on clothes this way. Maxx
Kwyk Styk 58" 55x28
Cari-bow 62"54@28
Thunder child 56" 53@27
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS ILF 60"@55#@27"

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Cabelas standhunter bibs and jacket over quilted longjohns over ecwcs longjohns works for me

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
If you are stand hunting,HEATER BODY SUIT,nothing better.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 12:47:00 AM »
I can shoot with a down vest on with all the layers with no issues.  It just has to be under something or its too noisy.  something to think about.  

One of the biggest issues with layering as stated is that you sweat when your moving and its a pain to layer up on stand.  The key for me is to put two layers together before you put them on and store them in the pack like that (if possible).  To be cold when I'm moving doesn't bother me as much as cold when sitting.  To be warm the whole time means you're likely going to sweat which eventually means freezing.   I'm in agreement that a mixture is likely better than just all wool.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »
I know Sitka's earliest attempts at cold-weather gear fell a little short of some folks' expectations (including mine), but the Kelvin, Stratus, Fanatic and Incinerator are the cat's bottom and the ultra-cold weather bowhunter should take a long, hard look at these items.

I already had the Kelvin insulative top and bottom layers, and when I felt the Fanatic Jacket, I felt it could actually be too warm.  I bought the Stratus Jacket and figure that when layered over the Kelvin and with a couple core layers, I can't imagine not being totally toasty in zero-type weather.  And wearing just the Stratus jacket will be perfect in cool weather.

I did spring for the Fanatic bibs, because of the longer leg zips and the fact that I usually carry them in and dress once at my tree.  

I've not yet put my hands on the Incinerator, but its supposed to be super warm with Gore-tex for moisture.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 02:05:00 AM »
I will add that my little brother is a guide in MB and AB and swears by the Heater Body Suit for his deer hunters, but 98% of them are gun hunters.  I know the HBS is used by many bowhunters, but I think now that Sitka has got this ultra-cold weather stuff covered with the Fanatic/Stratus/Kelvin or Incinerator.  

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a Sitka rep, but also one of them that told them the Celsius line was NOT warm enough.  They've answered the call now.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
THANK YOU, Wow, for all the responses.  The Heater suit looks good for sitting but I have to consider the shooting options.  I'm not just sitting in the tree at -10 for fun, I'm there to shoot a deer so planning for the shot has to be considered.

As far as the chemical warmers, I should own stock because I probably spend $200 or better each season, pair on top of toes, pair under toes, pair in the muff, one or two body ones on my back and or chest.  I have wondered about the electric vest and socks, any info there?

I will look into all suggestions given.  Was wondering about army surplus wool?  Worth looking into or not?

Thanks again,
Best of Luck,
May your blood trails be short,
TomBow
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2011, 12:53:00 PM »
Electric Socks - remember when they first came out, you were to put two D size batteries on each sock (I still laugh today about that). Most likely now they use something practical - never tried that stuff.
Side note - I guess they have vests you can put into the freezer, get them cold and then wear them to keep cool (motorcycle thing)for 8 hours, anyway, why not something that stays warm, microwave it for 5 minutes and keeps you warm for 8 hours - you guys work on that and when it weighs less than 4 lbs  -- I'll take one.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2011, 05:21:00 PM »
Look at Asbell's site. The wind blocker vest plus some layering. Also Ron LaClaire has some goos wool.

I buy what I can off of eB^y cheap. Color does not matter if it is an under or middle layer. Also, some Good Will stores have cheap stuff.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©