3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: warmest clothes  (Read 589 times)

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: warmest clothes
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
Those chemical hand warmers that you boil to recharge are sure nice but they only last about 20 minutes, they do put out gobs of heat though.  My wife buys the small hand warmers by the case for me at christmas, you can put them in a plastic bag and "shut them off" if you haven't used them up.  I have electris socks but the battery pack is too bulky to get into my boot.  I think they have improved over the years and I'd like to give them a good try.

We haven't talked much about fur:

The warmest mitts I have are native made out of coyote fur and lined with wool blanket material.  I've sat at -30C (while rifle hunting) and my hands were fine.  I might look at making some fur mucklucks, I think that might be the answer to my cold feet.  Another Idea I've had is to go to the "goodwill" stores and fine a nice big fur coat, I'm pretty sure it would be as good as a lot of the modern miracle materials, and deadly silent too.  Finally I have a muskrat hat that's dang ugly, but my head and ears never get cold with it, and my head doesn't get itchy after wearing it extensively like a wool toque would.

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
I would get Sitka if they made ladies sizes.  Until then, I wear wool and love it!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Wary Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2011, 07:43:00 PM »
Sitka has a new 'Incinerator Muff' that is really something else, and IMO reasonably priced for what you get.  The angle on it is perfect and there are great cuffs on it and two internal pockets for hand warmers also.

I would have bought one this year but have an old muff made for me by my taxidermist brother out of leftover hide/fur from a buffalo mount.  That baby is a little bulky but wow is it warm.
"Here's a picture of me when I was younger."
"Heck, every picture is of you when you were younger."
--from Again to Carthage, John L. Parker, Jr.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
TwoTracks wool vest. Felted wool. THE BEST! I have KOM, I have Asbell, and they are nice, but...when it gets REALLY cold, they just don't cut it. I hunted in 20 below weather this last year, for extended periods of time, with less bulk underneath and stayed comfortable and mobile. Really cold weather=Two Tracks Wool. He also has boot insoles and I hear may have a cap ready this year also.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2011, 10:44:00 PM »
Silk skivvies and wool outers.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
I will add LaClair's Longhunter shirt if you are thinking about wool. I have the heavy grey and love it. Kept me warm in nasty weather with just a hoody under it. I stayed out longer than planned (cause I was warm) and got a monster of a buck. It is nice looking and a great price. I was on the ground against a fallen tree in the grey and the buck never saw me.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©