3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrows for Hunting/3-D  (Read 249 times)

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrows for Hunting/3-D
« on: August 04, 2011, 07:08:00 AM »
Do you use the same arrows for Hunting that you use for 3-D ,minus the broadhead. The reason I ask is my Hunting arrows will have 100grn inserts in them and I intend to 3-D with them too ..... Good or bad idea?
We are here for a good time , not a long time .

Offline BowMIke

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrows for Hunting/3-D
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:30:00 AM »
I have Beman MFX 500's with a 100grain insert and I use for both 3D and hunting. Works fine for me.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
I use the same arrows for both.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:00 AM »
Same for me. The arrow set up I use for 3D shoots are the same set up I use for hunting, just the heads are different.
Thanks for your time.

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »
Thanks Guys , I was hoping you would say that  :)

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
Depends I shoot 3d for hunting prep so use the same arrow for both.  If you want to compete in 3d not in hunting practice you may want a lighter arrow for flatter trajectory for targets.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Online ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:50:00 AM »
Sure, why would you want to practice with an arrow that flew different from your hunting arrow? The whole idea of practice to me is to know that at the moment of truth that my arrow will hit the same place as always.
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »
Very good comments.  My first thoughts were.  Why would some one ask this question? & where are they from and what resources do they have to help them down the path?

2nd question first.  Bails is from the UK, last I checked there isn't much hunting in the UK. Soooo... making an assumption or two.  Only 3d and field archery is available, as someone said above, the flatter trajectory would be the name of those games when you are looking for the win.  If Bails came from the wheely world and was fortunate enough to hunt the change in arrows would be as easy as 1/2 hr at the range and a bin adjustment.

Now back to the core of Bails question... That heavier weight forward of center hunting arrow will still fly at 3d and field archery, but will have a much more arched trajectory.  I currently shoot a 700+gr arrow and do prretty darn good at20 yds and under and even shoot 3d out to 50+/-.

Hunting I stay well under 20 for my shots. The last 5 big game animals I shot were between 8 ft and 8 yds.

Best of luck bails on your journey!
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »
Yes!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
I do! I want all my practice to be with the same gear I will use to hunt. It shows sometimes on the 3D range because I practice very little out past 20yds and some days I'm on at the long stuff and sometimes I'm not.

Bisch

Offline GREATBROWNKNOCKEMDOWN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
NO! only for the reason that, i hate loosing woodies or breaking them when shooting 3-D, so i use cheaper woodies for that and hunt with taperd douglas firs. Or when shooting carbons while hunting i use AD's that also cost way to much to loose while shooting 3-D, so i use beman bowhunter shafts. Don't mind breaking or loosing the expensive stuff while shooting at animals, but not at foam targets.  All this could be solved if i was a better shot on the range!    :knothead:   Also at anything under 20 yards, all the arrows fly the same, at least for me they do.
Big River 1pcs longbows 60 47@26
Big River 2pcs longbow 62in 50@26
Big River Flatbow 60in 57@26
Dave Ricke Recurve 60in 47@26
WISCONSIN TRADITIONAL ARCHERS
Neosho Archers

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 09:44:00 AM »
Rafael,

You surely cant blame it on the bows. Mine seem to hit the target more often than not  :readit:  

I like to make arrows so to me its a labor of love.  I tend to break about 4-8 arrows a year and lose 1 or 2, I figure I just need to but a new Dozen every year and be all set.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »
For hunting and informal target shooting, whether the target shooting will be shooting at a 3D deer target or a bag target, I shoot the same 2212 aluminum arrow with the exact same 75 grain tip weight.

Which means 75 grain field points for the informal target shooting and 75 grain 3 blade Muzzy broadheads for bowhuntng.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
If you are shooting for score a lighter arrow often helps; but if you are shooting 3D to stay in shape for hunting don't change anything.

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 11:20:00 AM »
I use poc for both
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline Davesea

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 02:37:00 PM »
Doug fir for both, although I recently went up in bow (63#) and arrow weight (650gr) and shoot 200 grains up front with a screw in adapter.  And I really like taking long shots....
"Anyone can make a bow, but it takes skill and experience to make an arrow"  ISHI

Offline Bails

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
Thanks Firstarrow , i presumed members would notice my location . In the UK we cannot Bowhunt, but there is plenty of 3D shoots. I'm not competing to win, but more for practice, as I travel to Colorado once per year or bi-yearly to Bowhunt Elk. My thinking was to make me a better shot with my hunting arrows, to make the moment of truth count . Hence I was not sure whether to do this or make separate arrows, but as I hoped, the majority hunt with their 3D arrows .

Thanks for replying and take time to explain your reasons for your choice, it made my choice easier  :)

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 05:06:00 AM »
I always use the same ones, all I do is change points.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©