3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A Deer's Nose - Scent and Humidity  (Read 414 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
A Deer's Nose - Scent and Humidity
« on: August 04, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I just replied to a comment on a thread and thought it would make a good thread in and of itself. I think the "Rain washes away scent" statements are one of the biggest myths about deer and deer hunting. From my years of training bird dogs and partaking in and watching field trials all over the country full of top notch dogs, I can tell you that when the humidity is very low even the champion quail finding bird dogs can't smell a bird when they are standing on top of it. On high humidity days the same dog will point them from 50 yards away and find everyone in a 40 acre field in very short order. Now this is assuming a deers nose works the same as a dogs nose which I would believe it would.

I also believe this as I have had deer very close downwind of me early in the season on very hot low humidity days and they have had no idea I was there. I also believe this is a big reason bucks lay low on these type days and deer movement and sighting rise on the moist days. My favorite time to hunt is an early season 90 degree day with low humidity.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A Deer's Nose - Scent and Humidity
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 10:06:00 AM »
First 2-3 weeks of bow season, hot and dry, deer can end up stupid close to you. All my best bucks have been taken in this time, and the deer are still in a pattern. I believe moisture holds your scent down, at ground level, and when the air is moist, deer are able to smell better, as you mention. I also believe, that with those super sensitive noses, heat and dry conditions, along with dust, miniscule plant debri and other
things that make our noses itch, and us sneeze, affet them also.
samuel koger

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
In general I would agree with you. But I will say that in 15 years of chasing foxhounds on horseback the one thing I can say about scenting conditions are you just really never know

We've gone out on bone dry days like you mention and whammo...we are off to the races and chase a coyote or a fox for an hour.  On other days with what should be perfect conditions we never break out of a walk.    But in general the rule you cite applies.

Scent is a funny thing and there are many variables that affect it.  Barometric Pressure, temp, humidity, wind speed and direction...  Windy days are pretty good from a scent perspective but generally game goes to ground under those conditions as they loose some of their senses in the wind (scent/hearing).  OTOH, some of the best deer or foxhunting I've done were on windy days at midday!  

As a bow hunter the best you can do is to use wind and scent management techniques all the time because you just never know what the game can smell...

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 10:22:00 AM »
Jeff but with the foxhounds I would think you may or may not have a fox to chase. These trails I participated in have the birds planted in the field so we know they are there. A "bone dry" hot day can have high humidity and on those days the dogs do find them all. I am simply speaking of the low humidity days that may be hot or not.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 10:35:00 AM »
I was raised on a farm with fox hounds , coon hounds , pointers and Beagles and can tell you when it was awful dry we would go fishing.RC

Offline T Folts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
100% agree
US ARMY 1984-1988

Offline swamprooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:13:00 AM »
I coon and squirrel hunt with Mtn Curs, when the leaves are super dry and crunchy give it up. I absolutely agree.

Offline Tree Rat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
Humidity plays a big role in scent. Why do you think deer lick their noses? To get moisture into the scent stream. I really hope it's not because they like the taste.
Not all Squirrels are nuts....

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 01:43:00 PM »
TJ, until just a couple of years ago I've had English Setters my entire life hunting birds, and I couldn't agree more. I kill birds in dew and rain over a locked up setter. In hot dust it's not uncommon to have a dog walk right over them and they explode right in my pants, if you know what I mean.

Humidity helps scent. Here's a word for ya... petrichor... the smell of rain on hot asphalt.      ;)
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
Dang Pat, I'm born, raised and educated in Kentucky I wish you wouldn't use words like that. I had to google it. But yeah now I get it.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Kentucky Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 12:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by KentuckyTJ:
Jeff but with the foxhounds I would think you may or may not have a fox to chase. These trails I participated in have the birds planted in the field so we know they are there. A "bone dry" hot day can have high humidity and on those days the dogs do find them all. I am simply speaking of the low humidity days that may be hot or not.
Not disagreeing with you a bit and like I said in general that's true.  But I have chased some foxes and coyotes on bone dry days that we thought for sure were going to be a bust.   Made no sense.  But the dogs managed to cut a trail and put us on game.  

Its a lot like fishing.  I've caught fish on days and in water conditions that I should have just stayed home and watched a ballgame.

But you can't kill critters or catch fish sitting on the Sofa watching ESPN.  

In general conditions you are right.  But scent is a much more complicated thing than we think it is.  I've shot several limits of quail in Arizona over my old GSHP on 80 degree days with 15% relative humidity!   The only thing that slowed him down was the cholla!

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 02:28:00 PM »
have ya ever had a  beer fart in the shower, stinks doesnt it. well thats what we smell like to an animal that has bigger nostrils and more olphactory nerves that we have. sometimes its possible to fool the creatures we hunt. one condition that we can capitalize on is, hunting urban or suburban deer. these deer are desencitized to human scent as well as the smoke and artificial scents we create to to better the quality of our lives. the other is some of the noises we make as humans in these conditions such as doors opening and closing, homes car doors barns and shops. garage door openers.i hunt alot of suburban deer it has been my experience even without cover scent to be close enough to make the shot. granted it was my fault at those times to not seal the deal. in my opinion relative humidity has no factor. its the area you hunt that does. how much exposure do the deer you hunt have human contact. the less contact , the more sensetive they are to your presents. just my opinion.
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »
My dog sure stinks when he is damp, and my wife says the same thing about me.  As to the subject of how a deer's nose works, I think KentuckyTJ is on to something.  :)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Originally posted by broketooth:
have ya ever had a  beer fart in the shower
Huh, I'll have to do some testing tomorrow morning!
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Huntschool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 03:34:00 PM »
I guess everyone is right.  Here is some additional info regarding scent and humidity.

We can all agree that scent (whosever) is made up of skin and body sluff.. so in reality it is composed of "air" and that material.  When air is dry there is not much "support" for the scent material.  When it is moist there is support and it usually hangs above the ground.  Like TJ, watch a good bird dog hit the scent trail and then the actual scent cone of a bird...  his nose goes up into the scent and he wavers his approach until the last bit of distance when he is satisfied of the presence and locks up...  On a dry day a high headed bird dog is up the creek while a low nosed ground sniffer may well find a few birds... on a damp day that ground sniffer may bump more due to the scent stream and cone being higher above the ground.

If you really want to see this and ever have the chance watch a really well broke mature grouse doog work the woods...  Our quail dogs are sure pretty to watch as they come in on scent and take those last few carful steps into a point, but, if a grouse dog takes those last few steps Mr. Ruff is gone...

As to our deer hunting...  I am not at all big on cover scents.  I hunt the wind and keep my hunting clothes clean and outside.. Thats all.

Good thread...
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator (retired)
Southeastern Illinois College
NSCA Level III Instructor
Black Widow Bows
AMM 761

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 03:38:00 PM »
I have read people say go scouting prior to a big rain and your scent will be washed out. I believe if you walked out after the rain ends you will be busted but do believe rain will not "activate" a dry scent. I own no blood hounds and have no professional experience with it, just what I believe. So I believe the myth, somewhat!

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 05:48:00 PM »
roflmao with Kentucky tj post on my quote. its true, the deer that are exposed to your scent is going to dictate how you hunt. are you urban, suburban. do you live hundreds of miles from a known town or city. you have to figure that out for yourself. you as a man, are at the top of the food chain. be smarter than the quarry you are after. there is no gimmick, no product, worth the money to produce the results you are after.its all work and homework you are supposed to be a hunter. do you think for 5 min that man before the 1980', relied on scentlock, trailcams all the latest gadgets scent elimination clothing, the thousands of dollars you spend a year just to get close to that one trophy? wrong granted i have never filled all my tags , i willl not go the route of the corperate machine to bag  trophy deer. but i do pay attention to what goes on in my neck of the woods. i will get my few. they will not be pope n young, or boone n crocket, but they will be mine. rv
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Gary Logsdon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »
"My favorite time to hunt is an early season 90 degree day with low humidity."  That one really threw me TJ.  What part of KY do you live in? I get the 90 degrees but can't remember the last time the humidity was low around my neck of the woods! LOL
Gary Logsdon

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I would have to agree to disagree. What I mean is this. I totally agree that our scent basically sticks to the moisture in the air. If your a stalker then you may have some issues. But what about somebody that is in a stand? I believe the rain can be your ally while hunting out of a stand. Your scent attaches to the rain drops and goes to the ground. I believe the rain will help keep your scent at bay when hunting out of a stand.
But,dont depend on my logic,hunt the wind.  :bigsmyl:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
While humidity plays a part. We also need to remember that thermals are usually in the air also. So while we might not feel a breeze if we take baby powder and send it up in the air from the ground we can also see what type of thermal the animal can pick up to smell your scent. Same with the dogs I train for competition tracking. While it can be dry day they still can pick up a strangers scent after a 4hr aged track has been layed.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©