3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Kuiu  (Read 220 times)

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Kuiu
« on: August 04, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »
Does anyone use it? Is it worth it?

Trying to decide between Sitka and Kuiu for an upcoming Elk hunt.  leaning toward Kuiu, but I would like comments on warmth factor vs. Sitka System.

I love the Chugach waterproofness
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Kuiu
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:27:00 AM »
Anybody.  Would like to buy today
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
I have both, and they are both excellent; however, the Kuiu is unquestionably better quality. Warmth? There are many products that will keep you equally warm or warmer, but will they serve you as well in what you will encounter in typical elk country? For whitetail deer treestand hunting, Sitka has a wider range of options that Kuiu has not tried to address. But for active mountain hunting where light weight and the highest quality of materials and construction are paramount, Kuiu is the way to go. Jason Hairston has designed and produced some amazing products that no one else can offer, and his prices are competitive with the other less impressive products from other manufacturers because of the direct marketing model that Jason implemented to keep Kuiu affordable to his customers.

In summary, you can't go wrong with either, but for active elk hunting in rugged terrain, Kuiu is easily the better choice. Of course, that assumes that the Kuiu products are still available in your size and pattern/color. For warmth, be sure to buy a Spindrift jacket to go with the other clothing (including an outer shell to go over and protect the Spindrift -- the Guide jacket and/or the Chugach jacket), and get both weights of Merino wool base layers.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:08:00 PM »
I've been doing some last minute shopping around as well and both are good systems but like Allan said, availability may be an issue with Kuiu this close to the season.

Offline Dirtybird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:58:00 PM »
The rain gear from kuiu is pretty impressive.

Offline Jack Guard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
I own the following:

1 Guide Beanie Color: Vias Camo
1 Kuiu Cap Color: Cigar
1 Merino 250 BottomSize: M; Color: Brindle
1 Merino 250 Zip-T Color: Vias Camo; Size: M
1 Guide Vest Size: M
1 Attack Pant Color : Vias Camo; Size: 32
1 Guide Jacket Color: Vias Camo; Size: M

I love everything but the Guide Beanie.  It just doesn't fit my head comfortably.   Other than that its very well made.  

I also own sitka Kelvin vest, love it, accent pants, they are ok, and their core tops (pretty good but they bind under my arms).

I have spent a total of about 5 days in my Kuiu before i had to leave for work again.  So far i am very impressed.  

Good luck
TGMM Family of the Bow
Proud Member of the Twister Twelve

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 08:16:00 AM »
You'll pay more (on average) for Sitka than KUIU.

The KUIU quality is excellent.

KUIU lacks some of the features found on Sitka. (No wrist closures on Guide jacket, no pockets on Chugach pants, no suspender option for any pants, no chest pockets on Guide or Chugach jackets, no lower leg zips on Attack pants)

Sitka has the benefit of several years of product development behind it.

KUIU is basically in its first year, and you KNOW there will be many additions and changes to the line in the next 1 to 2 years.

(IMO) Jason Hairston is one smart business guy, and he'll make KUIU into another successful product line.

Summary: I can't see choosing one company over the other, unless you have a reason to do so. My strategy is to evaluate the products of different companies...compare...and buy what I like. I own a good many pieces of KUIU and like it! I own a good many pieces of Sitka and like it! I'll be evaluating and buying more of both in the future I'm relatively certain.

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 09:02:00 AM »
The only issue I have with buying Kuiu is I can't try it on to check fit.  I think I like the product a little better when it comes to waterproof options, but I can go into a store and try on Sitka before i buy.
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©