3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve or long bow  (Read 182 times)

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
recurve or long bow
« on: August 04, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
I was thinking about gett'n a new bow,I been look'n at a bear kodiak magnum.then I hear that short bows are hard to shoot,string angle and accuracy problems.I shoot a martin hunter and x200 so I thought about a long bow.Does long bows shoot slower than recurves.Ive only shot recurves so I know nothing about long bows.

TXCP

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: recurve or long bow
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:45:00 PM »
Bow length should depend on bow design and your draw length.  In general, the longer your draw length, the longer the bow should be.  A Kodiak mag is a 52-inch bow.  I feel anything over 28 inches is too long for that bow, and even that's pushing it.  Generally, recurves are faster than straight limbed/Hill style longbows, and probably a lot of mild r/d longbows.  Hybrid longbows, with extreme r/d shoot about as fast as recurves.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:11:00 PM »
What attracts to the lb? 50# pistol grip short recurve & 50# straight handled 68" longbow are time zones apart. If simple lb magic you're after.., you'll find your way. I can put you in contact w/a recent lb convert if you want.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 03:23:00 PM »
THANKS  My draw is 27.I've been look'n at a martin savannah long bow.Just think'n about gett'n a new bow.YOU KNOW HOW THAT IS.

TXCP

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 03:50:00 PM »
I have owned a Hunter and own a Savannah, both are nice bows and about the same speed. Pick one up used for 1/2 the price of new - someone is always making the mistake and selling theirs.

Offline charlie phillips

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:08:00 PM »
THANKS rraming.  

TXCP.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 04:59:00 PM »
A k-Mag is something everyone should try. Especially the mid-6o's Grayling models. Some love them, some hate them. Very personal thing. I just sold a '66 at Denton and have a '65 that I'll probably never part with. If you have a 27" draw, like me, you should have NO issues with any bow, no matter how short. I'm also a Hill-style fan. My next bow will probably be a Northern Mist Classic 66". They're all good! That's what makes this sport so great. Do they shoot different? You bet. Both good, but different. Lb. for lb. you might get a little more speed out of the recurve than a straight-limb D longbow, and no difference with a R\\D longbow, but at hunting ranges it really won't matter. What does matter is feel, confidence, and how YOU shoot it, and the only way to find that out is to try them. Good luck and enjoy the search.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline coltar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Contact Lee @ Keep It Simple Archery.He builds a couple of really nice longbows.I have his Protege longbow that is really a great bow.He is now building the Hunter which is the best of both worlds,short longbow,lots of curve,smooth,very efficient.
John

Offline smokin feathers

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:00 PM »
if you are wanting a really smooth short recurve at your draw. I would get a fedora stalker, i have one and it is super smooth with no pinch. But i just use it to bowfish because i feel that I shoot a longbow better and really like the way the draw feels over a recurve. There are a ton of good bows out there and have been some really good deals on used higher end bows.
Smoke

TGMM-FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©