3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carrying a T/D while Mountain Biking, need ideas  (Read 360 times)

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Carrying a T/D while Mountain Biking, need ideas
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
I need your ideas or opinions....  I plan on using a mtn bike to get into some back area spots and I picked up a 54" Treadway Black Forest T/D longbow that I think is the perfect size and style bow for this.       I was first thinking of breaking the bow down and putting the 2 sections of the bow along with some arrows inside a back quiver and pedaling in like that but I really don't like wearing a back quiver while hunting so I'd like to use my GN bow quiver with the rubber straps instead.

BUT then I remembered that shrew back quiver that held the bow with the arrows and went to check and its not on Rons page anymore,,  now I'm thinking about a quiet day pack and then have everything in the pack all the way with the limb tips and fletching sticking out the top with a zipper closed on each side to hold them in place,, thinking this is the best idea where I'd also have to dress down to pedal in and not sweat up everything so the extra clothes can go into that day pack also.  

curious if any of you guys have a another way you might do this type of hunting (even hiking in) or some better ideas that might work for me?

thanks for any info.
"Us vs Them"

Offline bkyrdshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carrying a T/D while Mountain Biking, need ideas
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Get a length of PVC pipe big enough to hold everything and some how mount it to your handle bars with some bungies or zip ties. You can seal both end to make it weather tight. It can hold your arrows and your bow and maybe some little extras like a flash light, matches, and what ever else you might need. Just a thougth it might work for you.
"Energy and Persistence Conquer All Things"   Benjamin Franklin

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
My plan was to put a 2 piece longbow and arrows in a Safari Tuff Arrowmaster quiver.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
What bicster said.........I think that would work very well!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Looks like Ron is still selling the shrew back quiver $155.00 plus $9.00 shipping. Its a great quiver I owned one for a couple of years  :thumbsup: . Give Ron a call if you are still interested.

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
I use a ATV style gunrack on my handlebars. Works great as long as your trails are wide enough. Kinda like this one...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/mad-dog-atv-fin-grip-pro153-single.aspx?a=79303

Carry arrows in my Safari Tuff. A two piece would fit just right in that...

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 10:39:00 PM »
I have used ATV gun clamps for my bow, attaching them to the bike handlebars.  But that meant that my path had to be 64" wide.  Then I put some adjustable elastic straps (from Joanne Fabrics) on my backpack, and vertically attach my bow to my pack.  Had to adjust it so that the bottom of the bow didn't come too close to the rear tire, but it worked pretty well.  And it comes off by detaching two clips.  I can go from biking to stalking in about 23 seconds.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
I do what Steve and Archie do, or strap it to my Eberlestock Tailhook.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Cromm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 05:02:00 AM »
I use my Arrow master with arrows and my fold down Critter Gitter Sp bow. They all slide in and out without having to worry. I am going to buy. A Big Jim bow quiver that I can hang on the quiver strap when it isn't on the bow. That way I have a small bow quiver for 3 arrows to hand and the Arrow Master to carry the backups if needed.

Offline Bobby Urban

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 07:19:00 AM »
I use a back pack for hiking in to some of my spots with the method you described and it works well.  If you don't want it on your back I think you would be better served with a rack behind the seat.  I would get the rack and brainstorm up a nice system to hold everything on there.  Even if you have to create something a little big back there it will be nicer than having the bow perpendicular to the bike when riding on tight trails.  On the ranch I use my quad to hunt and mount the bow racks on the front and rear racks so that it rides parallel with the bike and does not hit anything.  I can only imagine what a shocker hooking a bow limb on a tree while cruising down a trail in the dark on a bike.  Not good for the bow - really, not good for you!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 07:45:00 AM »
Having survived a couple of severe Bicycle accidents in my younger days, I would go with some sort of pvc pipe carrier. I would not feel comfortable riding in rough terrain with broadhead tipped arrows on my back or in a "soft" quiver on my handlebars.

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 08:22:00 AM »
Get you a Camelbak M.U.L.E. and pack up your bow and a 4 arrow Kwikee Kwiver. Put your broadheads in a small broadhead Plano case or just leav'em in the small and narrow Kwikee. That way you'll have everything on your back plus room for nutrition and water.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 08:32:00 AM »
If your bow does not have AMO bracket holes pre drilled you can modify this to use on your bow with a few pieces of an old inner tube and a velcro strap to mount it secure enough for hunting. Eagle's Flight quivers use the velcro straps and I have never had one work its way loose.

http://www.kwikeekwiver.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=15&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=77

Or you could just get an EFA two piece quiver and mount the broadheads after you stop to begin your hunt.

But the MULE is a great MTB accesssory AND hunting accessory.
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »
wow fellas thanks for the posts,,, lots of great ideas and stuff I never even thought of that I can surely apply to this terrain,,  which is mostly dirt/fire rds that we used to drive our trucks down but now have been gated at the entrances because of all the people dumping trash.. (I see more public land thats lost its its Access ways to dumping alone than anything else here in Mass)

but its all fire rds or cranberry bog rds that are grass that are very wide with some hard packed dirtbike trails mixed in that I'd guess is a minimum 4' wide.  

thanks again!
"Us vs Them"

Offline rraming

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
Originally posted by Warden609:
Looks like Ron is still selling the shrew back quiver $155.00 plus $9.00 shipping. Its a great quiver I owned one for a couple of years   :thumbsup:  . Give Ron a call if you are still interested.
Ron responded to an email I sent him and said he no longer sells that quiver   :nono:

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
one of the really great things about hunting from a bike is that you are silent.

I would not want to take down my bow if the trails were wide enough to carry it in handlebar or rear grip system like the fin grip...so I could ride up on something, dismount, grab the bow and start stalking.

We do that a lot in the South on blocked road/wilderness/island hunts where you have no other transportation other than foot or bike..it works great. Hogs can be ridden right up to.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Warden609

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by rraming:

Originally posted by Warden609:
Looks like Ron is still selling the shrew back quiver $155.00 plus $9.00 shipping. Its a great quiver I owned one for a couple of years    :thumbsup:   . Give Ron a call if you are still interested.
Ron responded to an email I sent him and said he no longer sells that quiver    :nono:  [/b]
Hmm. Thats to bad its a great quiver. I had just looked on his web site and it's still for sale on his order forms.

Offline Grey Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
Here's an idea:

http://www.montanascabbards.com/

Guy
Tie two birds together; though they have four wings, they can not fly.
The Blind Master

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 02:53:00 PM »
Why not take a Hill or similar type backquiver and attach your own leather bow scabbard, if you don't have the tools or means, surely a leather/ Shoe repair shop could fill the order with no trouble... Just a thought !!!

Froggy
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Offline WhiskeyMike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 09:06:00 PM »
I put a 3 piece pronghorn in a 30"X3" pvc along with 5 or 6 arrows.  Close both ends with 3" rubber caps and hose clamps. Just put it vertical in a pannier.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©