3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how frugal are you?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how frugal are you?
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2011, 01:05:00 PM »
My wife has a new cordovan purse. I'll drift off in thought sometimes and came to hearing her say, "No. Nooooooo. No." Because I'm staring at it.

I buy what I need and sometimes what I don't, but I'm always trying to find deals and invent things and I am a notorious horder. Because there is no shop anywhere near, I have to buy by trial and error. Like gloves and tabs. I bought an XL Neet trad glove from 3R that was too big and they won't pay shipping on returns, so I bought a L and still have the XL and now the Lg is a little loose and I'm thinking about buying a Med.

But the leather under my strike plate used to be the suede in back of a Bateman tab. And I get glue at the hardware store. And my target is a mesh lemon back filled with plastic bags. And I go to Big Jim's every day to check on blems...

A wheelie friend the other day was listening to my arrow tuning tales and then said, "Man, you trad guys sure do spend a lot of dough."

I guess so.
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
I have not purchased a bow since I went trad except for a $10 Red Wing from a garage sale that I later sold for $60.  I also purchased a $20 Pearson from Craigslist to refinish and give to my brother for Christmas.  At last count I had 40 some odd bows.

Every arrow I own was either gifted, traded for or made from ramin dowels.  My broadheads are $3 Ribteks that get used until lost.  I have purchased feathers and nocks on sale at times.

I buy B50 and make my own strings.

I hunt out of my Toyota Corolla because it gets 37 MPG.  I have put 2 deer in it at a time.  I do own a truck but it's really expensive to drive.

I have a lifetime license that paid for itself in 4 years so I hunt free in IN for the rest of my life.

My goal in life is not to have more but to need less.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hardwaymike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2011, 02:18:00 PM »
"My goal in life is not to have more but to need less." -John Scifres

Love this quote! One that I will always remember. Thanks John, Mike.
"A road is a dagger placed in the heart of a wilderness." -William O. Douglas

Believe it or not the "HARDWAY" is often the EASIER way(in hindsight)!
2xOIF VET
Bear Cub #48@28"

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2011, 04:04:00 PM »
I have a $1000 bow that I bought without blinking, but I get really ticked when I can't find the 38 casing I just broke off a dowel stump arrow!

I don't think I'm ready for the Buried Alive hoarder show but I sure have a PILE (literally) of hats, gloves, pouches, flashlights, and knives. I also have boots for every conceivable situation and lots of camo and wool. My wife kind of pointed this out to me last week when I questioned her purchase of yet another purse.  :)
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
I figure I have Spent My "Main Starting Capitol", meaning Several Bows, with Only ONE that is Brandly New!! I Applaud You Mr. Scifres!!  :thumbsup:   Sure beats Crying when ya Wreck or Lose a Good Aluminum!!
  Since becoming dependent on My Disability, I have been  FORCED  to be "Self-Sufficient" in More and More Ways Everyday!! Some Folks are just Plumb Amazed at some of the "Concoctions" I have come up with, and Others just Chuckle!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline adeeden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I got to admit I'm cheap as all get out.

I haven't bought a bow in about 10 years. I have been shooting the same old carbon arrows for 7 years. I have had the same old bear razorheads forever.

I have not bought any new camo in at least 5-6 years and that wasn't much. Most of mine is from rummage sales and so forth.

I did spurge last year and bought a used set of limbs of course I haggled and traded so I didn't really spend much out of pocket.

I have a lifetime hunting license for Indiana that paid for itself in 1994.

My big expenses for the year is 3-d shoots, a new string, IL resident licenses, and gas.

I'm positive I do not spend $300 per year on hunting both Indiana and IL together!
"I would rather be lucky then good, any day!"

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 06:12:00 PM »
That's why I love archery   :)  

No reloading, just don't loose the arras. If I put one over the target I usually don't quit till it's found. I've even found some of Jr's that way.

I'll say this, if you have a leaning towards being frugal, don't take up fly fishing. Once you start tying your own flies it's all over. You might even learn to like the neighbor's cat.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Frugal is my dad when we were growing up, my brother and I for the first two years of hunting wore his hand me down longjohns. It feels good to get that off my chest after 30 years,now I can stop the thearapy. Tim
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ermont

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 08:58:00 PM »
I swore after I got divorced to buy better stuff than the ex threw out or gave away. And yes I've stuck to that.

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 09:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by Night Wing:
I'm not frugal. I had enough of that when I was young.
Same here.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 09:19:00 PM »
I have a Bear child's quiver with a Missouri Bowhunter Patch on it. I bought this from Mr. Hoyt in Bridgeton, Mo in 1959. It it too small for me but it has proudly hung next to my rack since.  Luckily the Hoyt's let me hang out when I was 9&10. Oh I have many other such, but that one shines like a diamond in a goat's butt very time I go out.
Nice to have Ann Hoyt teaching you when a kid, if I only known what had!
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 09:21:00 PM »
I'm so frugal the kids are going to havta' quit college and the wife will walk to the factory so I can spend more on bows and outta' state tags.

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 09:26:00 PM »
My new found philosophy is "clutter free is the way to be".  If someone might need it someday they need it today.  Put it in the classifieds and get rid of it.  One more way to simplify.  I'm frugal at the grocery store but with my hunting equipment I look for quality first and price second.  Bowhunting is my splurge in life.

Offline Suty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Well, let me think......? Nope, frugal I'm not, I guess a man needs to know his limitations. I don't spend money without conscious, but I do spend it. Just ask Dan Toelke  :)  
                             Tu Compadre, Sutty
Dryad Orion ACS Recurve 53#

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle."  Edmund Burke

Offline jax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 10:21:00 PM »
If you think about it, you don't really need much to go hunting, I would rather spend my money on hunts. I know guys that say they can't go on a hunt but buy bows and gear all year long.

Offline mookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 11:03:00 PM »
Frugal on most things never owned a new bow all hunting and fishing equipment comes from clearance bins wont pay for a guided hunt or a lease. on the other hand if the grand kids want a new game,bow or fly rod or the wife ( that's put up with me for 24 years) wants to go out on the town I gladly spend it.

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »
mink throw from good-will= a bunch of string silencers. lol

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:00 AM »
Not very
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 12:14:00 AM »
Depends on whose money I'm spending!
Jim

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 01:51:00 AM »
I have an extremely hard time throwing anything hunting gear away, even if it doesn't fit anymore.
My girlfriend hates it....
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©