3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: how frugal are you?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: how frugal are you?
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2011, 02:09:00 AM »
Uncle buck, you are my kinda guy! Do you by chance have any old Bear sight pins?
John

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 02:44:00 AM »
I never pay full price for anything if I don't have to.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 07:07:00 AM »
I`m not frugal by nature, I am frugal by necessity. After a while, it just becomes a habit.

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2011, 07:12:00 AM »
I'm not very frugal, but I find myself buying less and less hunting gear. I always buy quality stuff, and it just doesn't need to be replaced. I am 48 and use the same Coleman stove I bought when I was 14. I have waaaaaay too many arrows, and I could realistically hunt for the rest of my life with the broadheads in my tackle box.

BUT, I refuse to buy cheap beer or whiskey, I like a good meal, and I can't stand to drive a POS car. So no, I am not frugal.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2011, 07:13:00 AM »
I am more frugal to other things than bowhunting staff.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Adam Keiper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2011, 09:39:00 AM »
I try to be frugal with my bowhunting interests.  I've only bought one bow (used, to satisfy a Hill itch) since I started building selfbows over a decade ago.  Similarly, it's been years since I bought "gear" of any type, beyond supplies that I use up, like bowstring material, feathers, etc.  My hunting clothes and boots are all at least 7 years old.  I really don't feel like I need anything else.  I have other interests where frugality isn't an option, so it helps if I can keep one or two of them cheap.

Offline Jim Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
Van?  You out there, Van?
Jim

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away."

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm fairly frugal in most things EXCEPT bowhunting.

Offline scharms

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
My condition borders on the hilarious.  I drive a 14 year old Toyota corolla (that doubles as my hunting rig).  I do own a newer truck, but can't afford to put gas in it.  The wife's car is the only vehicle that isn't payed for yet.

I took a job two miles from home so I could ride my mountain bike to work in attempt to not buy any more gas than necessary.  My meals regularly consist of PB&J sandwiches and ramen noodles.  We go out to eat only a couple of times a month.

I have never had a credit card.  My house will be paid for in six years, its a 120 yr old farmhouse on 10 acres that I bought from a friend for well below market value (although there is a lot of sweat-equity invested now).  

My 20" TV is pushing 15 years old, most of my furniture consists of hand-me-downs.  I still have my first recurve from age 8 & keep around arrows that are around 30 yrs old.

BUT... if I totaled up the amount I've spent over the years on guns, hunting gear, fishing gear, reloading components and archery tackle, I could probably have bought a brand new house and a new Cadillac to put in the garage!
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne

Offline 3arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
My grankids think I'm a millionare because i buy lots of toys and things a garage sales.
Believe in nothing,fall for anything

Offline Zbone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2011, 05:31:00 PM »
Cool thread.

Offline Kninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Being cheap is what got me into trad hunting. Several years ago I wanted to get into bowhunting but couldn't afford the new bow that the master practitioners on the outdoor channel said I needed to kill a deer.
So I picked up a Grizzly that my uncle bought for 35 bucks at a yard sale and here I am.
"Life is not about the destination, it's the journey."

Tred Barta

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2011, 07:50:00 PM »
Not at all, see something that trips my trigger and I gotta have it. Two new bows at Denton . And can not keep my eyes off the Morrisons on the classifieds even with 4 of them already  :knothead:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 08:53:00 PM »
I am reading a book  Simply titled "Archery" by Natalie Reichart and Giman Keasey. I bought it from a Goodwill store(did I tell you I was Cheap). It was written in 1936. Back then they had to make a lot of their gear.
For bowstrings they reccomend making a long string with a loop at one end and a timber hitch knot at the other. They said that way you could use one string for many bows regardless of length- Now thats cheap!

Offline Jim now in Kentucky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2011, 10:24:00 PM »
Well, along with Mudd and at least one other poster,I know who is Mr. Frugal Archer. I am happy to say I have contributed somewhat to his increased frugality.

I'm very frugal. I own two bows I bought. One is the Ben Pearson solid fiberglass recurve I bought in about 1962 when I was 14. The other is a Bear Polar I bought on **** for about $34 just to have a "modern" type to supplement my self bows.

Make all my arrow shafts from spruce, Douglas fir or whatever straigt-grained softwood lumber I come across. I process wild turkey feathers that are given to me. (Looked long and hard yesterday at a Boy Scout who was dressed up Indian style in a whole lot of turkey flight feathers...).

Make my bows from trees on my own land or where I have permission to cut or salvage.

I do buy shooting gloves and such when I can find them used for cheap.

And then there are Reparrows. If my home-made shafts break, I repair them. Frugality/cheapness was the whole push for me to come up with Reparrows back in 2004-5.

Jim
"Reparrows save arrows!"

"But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that he is and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him." Hebrews 11:6

Offline kpete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2011, 04:07:00 PM »
Do you know how copper wire was invented?
Two German's fighting over a penny!
That is frugal.
I am German and own only enough sporting gear to open my own store.  But I buy my clothes at garage sales and thrift stores.
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever-Isaiah 40:8

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
Hmmmm.....

3 Morrison bows - about $3,000
Various other bows - around $2,500
Arrows - around $800
Broadheads - I guess $200 or so
Scouting cameras - $600
Treestands - $500
License - $120
Hunting lease - $500
Travelling expenses - I'd guess about $200 in season
Huning clothes - $3-400

Gotta love free venison!

:goldtooth:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline GRINCH

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2011, 07:14:00 PM »
:laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
TGMM Family of The Bow,
USN 1973-1995

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »
Don't mind paying for quality but I do enjoy cutting corners. All of my bows are adopted from other homes
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline USN_Sam1385

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »
I HAVE to be fairly frugal to survive.

I only have one Trad bow and I traded my .270 for it.

I don't spend any money on drugs, gambling, and I rarely drink. I do not ever buy new clothes for myself, and the only clothes I buy are hunting clothes, or hunting gear.

I will spend some money taking the wife to dinner or on toys or clothes for my son.

Bills pretty well take care of the rest of the money, and I definitely live pay check to pay check.

But I am 25 years old, with a house a wife and a son in a terrible economy. I think I am doing well just the fact that I survive out here.
62" Craig Warren Black Timber 3PC T/D Recurve: 48lb @ 28".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©