3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: All my favorite bows are 1 piece, how can that be?  (Read 569 times)

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
All my favorite bows are 1 piece, how can that be?
« on: August 05, 2011, 03:35:00 PM »
I pulled out all my favorite hunting bows and they are all one piece.  My Jamie Miller and Dean Torges osage bamboo bows, my Fox Royal Crown, Robertson Stykbow, and Howard Hill Tembo and of course my Century 21 Nova:).

Geez!  Is there a way I can chop saw one and screw a hinge into it and call it good?

Do you guys find that you prefer 1 piece bows or are your favorites varied?

I'm packing for a trip on the Moose John, and I am not wanting to tote a big BOW tube around.  I'm thinking takedown and I have a handful of take down bows but I'd rather have one of my favorite bows with me.  Could I dare chop one in half?

How do you guys travel on airlines with current day restrictions and fees?
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: All my favorite bows are 1 piece, how can that be?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
Im shooting a takedown recurve right now but there is something special about a one peice longbow that I love . Dont know what it is but a takedown system just feels more right on a recurve than it does on the longbow   :archer:
" Live long and prosper "

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Larry, I am hooked on the one piece as well.  There was one notable exception.  I owned, shot, killed and won a lot of stuff with a Saxon Mongoose that came apart in the middle.  Fantastic bow but had to sell to a good friend as I had to drop poundage due to a bum shoulder.  You might check one out if you can.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:06:00 PM »
Yes or you could find one of a ton of bowyers to do it for you. I have seen several done that way. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 04:09:00 PM »
Have to Agree with You Larry.  :thumbsup:   But then, I cant be much of a Judge since I only  OWN  One Piecers!!  :goldtooth:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 04:26:00 PM »
You should hunt with one of your favorites whether it's 1 piece or 2 or 3.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline jwingman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
Larry,

One other option is to ship one of your one piece bows to your hunting destination early enough before you leave to confirm arrival in good condition with the outfitter. It is cheaper than airline fees, your bow can be in a nice hardcase that you can use once you get there and just ship it back before you leave. I have used this process before and it works well if you have a bow you can live without for two weeks before your hunt. Just another method that can be handy. jwingman

Online Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 04:38:00 PM »
I like 1 piece bows ,being that is all I want to hunt with will probably ship my bows ahead of me for a couple of trips that I am looking at doing
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
same here, i have a couple 3 piece take downs, and another on the way from Mike Hays......  but it seems like every time I pick something up to shoot ,  its a 1 piece longbow.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 08:55:00 PM »
I prefer a one piece recurve for whitetails like my Groves Spitfire. I also have a one piece Kempf longbow coming shortly. I really love the feel of a good one piece.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:18:00 PM »
for me, t/d's are THE way to go for airline travel.  if flying wasn't an issue, there'd be no viable reason for a t/d, for me.  most 2pc t/d bows are only different than their 1pc brethern in terms of some added weight.  i've done far too many 1pc versus 2pc longbow tests, and aside from a minor weight difference they're all the same in performance, feel and consistency.  ymmv.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 09:45:00 PM »
I'm a one piece recurve guy but I never fly to hunt. If I did I would probably own a TD to save on fees. Either that or ship my bow on ahead of me so it is hopefully there waiting when I get there!

Offline Larry Yien

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »
Found a Herb Meland Pronghorn gathering dust in the garage.  I'll shoot it for the next 2 weeks and see if it'll do.  I dug up a Griffin to it doesn't break down as small as the Pronghorn but there's some good medicine in that bow.

I've heard of guys sending their bows beforehand and that might be an option in the future, I don't think it would work this go around since there's no one to send it to.

I just need a favorite bow that'll fit into my luggage.
PBS Regular Member Life
TGMM

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 10:02:00 PM »
Always something about a 1 piece to me

Love um
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Rob W.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
Only takedown I have owned was a kingfisher for bowfishing. My favorite longbow doesn't even have a splice in the lamination. I would hate to cut it in half. I think for travel I would have to fashion it into some sort body cast so I would be seperated from it.
This stuff ain't no rocket surgery science!

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 10:19:00 PM »
I have both kinds in recurves and longbows. I found using the take downs to be much more convenient to check in your luggage. I prefer the one piece bows especially my Griffins. Good Luck on your upcoming hunt.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2011, 10:29:00 PM »
I did the Moose John a few years back.  Carried a takedown in my pack as a back-up, but took a longbow in a PVC pipe as my number one bow. Left the PVC pipe at the McGrath airport and picked it up on the way out.  Just packed the bow in a light cloth case in the plane for the trip to base camp.

BTW.If you've never done that trip before, it's a helluva hunt.  Have fun.  Don't forget a fly rod or light spinning rod.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

P.S. My buddy and I each took a nice bull.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 10:46:00 PM »
Settled on 1-piece long ago. No regrets.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 11:56:00 PM »
"All my favorite bows are 1 piece, how can that be?"

Easy answer? YOU DON'T HAVE A TWO PIECE SHREW WITH A BOWBOLT.

It would not only answer your question; it would also solve all your travel problems.   :help:    :thumbsup:    

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 04:02:00 AM »
Larry , i hunted New Zealand earlier this year . I took a 1 Pce and and take down . In hindsight I would have got Craig Ekin to just make me to t/d's ... sleeve handle ... both would fit in my bag no worries and no stress re back up bows etc ...
Flying with a 1 pce is a pain in the bum.
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©