3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tred's Philosophy on Hunting  (Read 962 times)

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tred's Philosophy on Hunting
« on: August 05, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
I watch very little TV, and even less hunting shows. A couple months ago I caught a few minutes of a Tred Barta show where he was hunting caribou. I saw what I considered some poor shot attempts and quickly changed channels, not thinking too much about it other than here's just another guy seeking fame and fortune via their definition of hunting.

I should have given ole Tred's show a little more time. I recently watched one of his shows in it's entirety. It's kinda' refreshing seeing somebody out there who in my opinion still has his head on straight. Don't know how many folks he is reaching or influencing but way to go Tred.

It's also good to see him getting his message across in a humorous and entertaining way without being argumentative or degrading others who see it differntly.

Tred on Hunting
Tom Mussatto

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tred's Philosophy on Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »
I enjoyed that! Don't know that I agree 100% but I sure respect the man for stating his position.

Thanks for sharing.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
I like the fact that his misses are just that,his misses. He doesnt blame it on anything but himself,not the wind ect. Besides he has a huge set and is confident even after failure.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:06:00 PM »
Since his illness I think his shows have gotten better. He really knows what it is to live everyday to the fullest. I can't imagine doing what I do from a wheel chair   :notworthy:   My hats off to him and like him who do what they do!! My God Bless!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 08:07:00 PM »
I too caught his show about the Caribou. I really was disappointed to see the disregard he had for the animals in the shots he took. One was a 45 yard shot on a running caribou in brush. He kept talking about he needed to get into 15-20 yards to get a good shot off but didn't have the patience to get that close and only took bad shots. Never really watched him before but found out about his poor ethics after this show. Wont be watching him again.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline PaddyMac

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:27:00 PM »
Very interesting, thoughtful guy.

The bit on the longbow shooting tripod stick and Tred Barta jock strap was great. "I sense a whole herd of animals right in front of me! Oh. Shot low."    :laughing:    :laughing:    :laughing:
Pat McGann

Southwest Archery Scorpion longbow, 35#
Fleetwood Frontier longbow, 40#
Southwest Archery Scorpion, 45#
Bob Lee Exotic Stickbow, 51#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 47#
Bob Lee Signature T/D recurve, 55#
Howatt Palomar recurve (69"), 40#

"If you leave archery for one day, it will leave you for 10 days."  --Turkish proverb

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 09:41:00 PM »
I really like to watch Tred's shows.  I don't agree with him 100% but then again I don't agree with anyone 100%. Including me.  I was reading Howard Hill's "Hunting the Hard Way" yesterday and he stated that he had lost or broke many arrows and wounded game from shooting beyond his range.  He said a practiced archer can expect to make a clean kill one out of four shots.  How times have changed.  As for his bait comment; I would rather kill a bear over bait with my bow than spot and stalk with a rifle.  If I practiced as much with my rifle as I do with my bow I could guarantee clean kills at 1000 yards.  In my opinion there are only two trophies with a rifle; terrorists and child molesters.  
Semper Fi Leatherneck!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:00 PM »
I was disappointed, too, that his actions didn't match his words on the caribou hunt, and a few others.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 10:55:00 PM »
Good to see you around Tom. Do you know that Tred had a life altering stroke and is bound to a wheel chair.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 11:05:00 PM »
Tree is a pioneer in NE canyon fishing

I've meet him and he is a Gretchen guy and a sportsman
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline Tom Mussatto

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 11:10:00 PM »
Hello Charlie. Yeah, I had heard he is now wheel chair bound but was going to try and keep doing the hunting/fishing show. Real shame, guy seems to be a real hoot who enjoys life and I really like the message he is trying to get out.
Tom Mussatto

Offline Flingblade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »
There was another thread here that said Tred killed his second bear in British Columbia since his stroke.  This time he was hunting in a lightning and thunderstorm.  The show airs in October.  I'm  looking forward to this one.  As the father of a disabled child, Tred is quite inspiring.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 05:27:00 AM »
Thanks Tom, I know a lot of people don't like Tred but I always enjoyed his show. As Corney as it may sound to some watching one of his shows gave me the bug to shoot the Longbow my dad gave me when I was 10, that got the Trad ball rolling for me again.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 06:44:00 AM »
While I wish him nothing but the best since his stroke, I agree with leatherneck.

Offline Bill Carlsen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 11:05:00 AM »
I really enjoy his shows. However, his shooting skills are not the best. If he really practiced what he preached he'd be a better shot or shoot equipment he could shoot more accurately. When his form is good his shooting is, too. Perhaps a coach could have helped him. His heart is definitely in the right place. It's too bad that he has had such bad luck medically as his message is really a good one and I just don't know how much longer he can continue. I do wish him well and if a recovery is at all possible I wish him that, as well.
The best things in life....aren't things!

Offline SecondSeason

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »
I always love these type of topics and this one always lights up.  

I have met him 2 times now and both times I walked away with a better opionion of him.  The first time was before the illness took over and the second time was last summer.  NO one I have ever met has his zest for life, even after being kicked in the teeth.  One hell of a man and like him or not he now is in a position to give people with any issue the hope that they can do what ever they want.

As for his show - I haven't seen other shows include misses that we have all had in the final cut.  The shows are real and so is his skill though many think his skills are off.  How many people can hit a small disk in the air or a ball in the air I know I can not?  At least yet..  

When I showed him my first selfbow the smile that came front and center was wonderful to see.  That bow now has his signature along some other well respected names from the PNW.   He has what I would say a true love and respect of the sport.

Love him or hate him...Barta got me into trad Archery.  I had never shot a bow in my life and after his show I built my own bow/arrows and now arrow heads.  I have missed 2 elk, 5 deer and killed a grouse.  But have a smile just like his.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:23:00 PM »
It is funny how times have changed, no one 50 years ago complained of the archery greats shooting at game over 100 yards away and taking all sorts of running shots at everything that was legal. I agree that some of the shots Tred takes are plan stupid, but I would of said that about the archery greats as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 09:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shawn Leonard:
It is funny how times have changed, no one 50 years ago complained of the archery greats shooting at game over 100 yards away and taking all sorts of running shots at everything that was legal. I agree that some of the shots Tred takes are plan stupid, but I would of said that about the archery greats as well! Shawn
I agree with Shawn.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 06:48:00 AM »
The difference was Tred would say at the start of those shows he did it the hard way and his range was 20 and under. Then proceed to start flinging way past that. Those 50 years ago didn't say one thing and proceed to do another.

Offline Last of the Breed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Some of us must not ever get caught up in the moment and miss judge the yardage, not see the branch in the way or just think to ourselves "I can make that shot".  I know that I my self have made those mistakes and  dont know if I would be brave enough to show it on T.V. So I can look past his mistakes and enjoy a good archery show, sorry to those perfect people out there who have to deal with us imperfect people...
1 John 1:7  , and the blood
of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©