3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tred's Philosophy on Hunting  (Read 964 times)

Offline kojac

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tred's Philosophy on Hunting
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
from what I've seen he's not afraid to say and do what he feels is right, I can respect that.

In all honesty I think thats what makes his show better than most of the hunting shows out there.

I haven't met the man in person as of yet but this fall I will be guiding him and another guy with a hunting show, Mike Hanbeck on a whitetail hunt here in montana.
Brian

"Hunting...is about the Sights, Sounds, Smells, and  the Hunted...All the hunter has to do is show up"

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 09:24:00 PM »
Tred Barta is a man we should all look up to. Not one in ten of us would still be doing the things he is doing if we were in his shoes. It is easy to say he takes poor shots and maybe he does at times but we all have been caught up in the moment with adrenaline pumping and took shots that are considered less than than ethical. If someone has never wounded an animal, he in all probability has not shot at many. Things have certainly changed with the newer generation of hunters as far as ethics and that is a good thing. Many years ago when a hunter could go for days without even seeing an animal, he took whatever shot was offered. Game is plentiful now, we get to see more so shots should be a sure thing but as I said they are not always that.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline BDann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:00 AM »
Great video!   I agree with Tred on the technology in hunting. Makes me sick every time I flip through a Bass Pro or Cabela's catalog.

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 07:48:00 AM »
I love Tred and his shows. His mentality is so down to earth. If you get to watch the show when he shot his first white tail on camera and it was from the wheel chair it will make you think long and hard about what you have in life.
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 08:15:00 AM »
First of all, a shot can go bad even if it is well within one's effective range, clear, standing still etc. However, the odds of that happening increase dramatically, to the point of a miss or worse and should be expected when one shoots too far, running, brush, alert, etc.

I disagree that "no one complained" years ago when the "experts" took long shots, running, etc. I was 16 when I first bowhunted. (1970). I didn't know much (still don't). I hadn't even see a live deer yet. My ethic at that point had been developed while squirrel hunting. However, one of the men in camp came in every day and talked about 'emptying his quiver' at deer across a gulley (he figured 90 yards). He claimed 'nothing dies if nothing flys), I knew that was wrong.

As much as I respect Mr. Bear when I read his book and learned of some of his shot attempts (the stone sheep at partial draw over the rise comes to mind)I also knew that wasn't right.

I have a theory about folks who take low percentage shots. I don't think they follow up misses or poor hits with much time.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 09:27:00 AM »
I like Tred.  His life has been an inspiration to many people. I think I'll give him a pass for taking a couple long shots at some caribou...
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
If he isn't being argumentative and degrading, then ol' Tred has changed a lot since the last show of his I sat through.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2011, 11:59:00 AM »
It is my understanding that Tred is not only wheel chair bound because of the stroke, but he is also fighting cancer. My prayer go out to him and his family.  :pray:

Offline Ted Fry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
I have never seen one of his shows nor have I met the man. I have friends that have and they speak well of him. I try to not get caught up in the politics of archery but I will leave you with a quote from a man I did admire, Jay Hammond , former gov. of Alaska.
" Time for reflection has moved me to be far less judgmental of others than before. No human being can withstand nor deserves unstinting scrutiny.
All have flaws." Well said Jay!

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 03:55:00 PM »
I love watching his shows. He is one of the people who still inspires me to shoot traditional and do it the hard way.
James Kerr

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
Rare quality not to judge. Ted (above), Ron L., Mike Mecredy, & few others are such & what makes you guys real likeable.

Very much admire Tred, Mike Mitten, & other notables for having enough courage to publicly admit gut wrenching failures. They have my respect. Mike explains perfectly in his book.., no guarantees ever, gun, bow, or otherwise. *No get out of jail free card for wing n fling carelessness either.

Hope to offer good advice w/o judging. Better, lead by example.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Tred is my favorite guy to watch. I agree with him on 95% of what he said. I hunt the way I do because of his hunting style. But I don't want to put other down or say its wrong if they want to use a blind, trail cam, ect...

As for the shooting at game at a distance I think everything that needed to be said has been said, we all mess up and make a bad decision every once in a while. We just get to watch his from our couch.

Tred is and always will be somebody I want to share a camp fire with.     :campfire:
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
this is my first year shooting trad, but I have been watching Tred's videos for some time.  I will also say that I agree with MOST of his thoughts.  I would never knock someone for not agreeing with his ways.  

With what Tred has recently been trough, and for him to still be hunting and fishing is just simply amazing to me.  Watching Tred hunt while sitting in his chair has made me realize that he is sharing what he loves to do with the rest of us. I think he deserves to be thanks for that. Thank you Tred. Im sure he has made a lot of people realize that they can still enjoy things in life that others say they would never be able to do again.

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
I just read this forum and was blown away at people's responses.  I feel like he is one of "us".... and some of you guys bash the man because he took a long shot.  That bothers me that we can be so judgmental.  I haven’t ever met and probably never will meet Tred Barta.  If I did I’d shake his hand proudly!!!
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline illianabowhntr67

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2011, 05:27:00 PM »
I like his attitude and his enthusiasim.

Offline pauljr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2011, 05:52:00 PM »
Ive never watched his show or met him. What i do know from experiance is when one person steps outside the socially accepted norm there are those that will accept him and those who will scrutinize him. No different in trad archery, I will say im a bit supprised when i read threads like this. 95% of the topics here are informative and helpful this seams to have turned into a love him or hate him type thing. Its not very productive in my honest opinion.
PBS Associate Member

"I hate rude behavior in a man, I wont tolerate it" Woodrow F Call

Offline DTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2011, 07:01:00 PM »
A true entertainer, fun to watch and blessed to be alive. The "vapor" principle, its true:) Aren't we all blessed?

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 07:37:00 PM »
Tom, I feel the same way, by the way glad to see ya sir around the gang! I guess hes a diamond in the rough...mark #78  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:00 PM »
I have to think that most have not seen his mule deer doe hunt, the turkey flock shootathon or the caribou in the wind show - all before his medical issues.  No one is being critical of "a" missed shot or an occasional lapse in good shot selection. There was a pattern that I cannot accept as one I can identify with, support or feels emulates anything I would do on a hunt.

Offline wapiti1997

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 08:05:00 PM »
It's ethical when gun hunting to only shoot deer or turkey when they are standing still.  Yet, for quail, dove, or ducks it's incomprehensible to shoot them "sitting" for some.....

Tred is an inspiration for many, how many people scoffed at his many misses trying to shoot a duck out of the air?

He's welcome to hunt with me anywhere anytime...
P&Y and B&C Measurer
RMEF Life Member
UBK Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©