3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tred's Philosophy on Hunting  (Read 963 times)

Offline KodiakMag

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tred's Philosophy on Hunting
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 08:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by wapiti1997:
It's ethical when gun hunting to only shoot deer or turkey when they are standing still.  Yet, for quail, dove, or ducks it's incomprehensible to shoot them "sitting" for some.....

Tred is an inspiration for many, how many people scoffed at his many misses trying to shoot a duck out of the air?

He's welcome to hunt with me anywhere anytime...
Exactly.   :thumbsup:
55# Kodiak Mag

"Stay calm, Pick a spot."

Zwickey, the 1911 of Broadheads.
->>>-------->

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I have watched Tred for many years and was saddened when he was afflicted with his illness. I am pleased he is still pursuing his passion. The passion he shows is genuine and I agree he sometimes makes poor shot choices, but who doesn't. God bless you Tred.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Jeff Roark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »
I'm happy to know that when I come here with my uncountable imperfections that I'll have plenty of people with none to console me.

I think Tred doesn't hide who he is or what he does, like most. Like the one episode when he shot that monster bull elk in the wallow through the green lungs. He showed the bad hit, and you could see it made him sick. Also, he and the rest of his group searched for two days for the bull all the while he could have still been hunting but refused to shoot at another because of the one he lost.

I'd sling arrows and shoot my quiver empty with old Tred anyday of the week.

Offline Pete McMiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »
Regardless of whether you agree with Tred or not - and I do 95% of the time - you have to admire him for his tenacity and his utmost belief in his own personal ethics.  As others have said, I'd share a hunt, a campfire or a sandwich with the guy anytime.

One of the things about Tred that has really helped all of us I think is that self analysis of our personal ethics.  Where is the line in the sand that you will not cross?  Many people don't have any idea.  Over the years I have formed my own personal ethics, my own "lines in the sand".  I don't think any two people have exactly the same personal ethics, and that's OK as long as you have 'some', that you have sat yourself down and determined that you, indeed, have your very own principles you live by.  

If this thread did nothing else but get a few guys to think about what their own personal ethics are - then it was beneficial.  We need so much more of this today, in our outdoor pursuits as well as our day to day living.
Pete
WTA
CTAS
PBS

Charter member - Ye Old F.A.R.T.S and Elkaholics Anonymous

MOLON LABE  [mo 'lon  la 've]

"That human optimism & goodness that we put our faith in, is in no more danger than the stars in the jaws of the clouds." ............Victor Hugo

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2011, 03:47:00 PM »
Food for thought,how many of you who think he is unethical have shot a squirrel,bird ,racoon,or opossum in your trash or around the yard or even stumping out of season. Is it unethical to shoot an arrow for distance in a field for practice not knowing whats out around the impact area. All of us at one point in time have done something unethicle,stop kidding yourself. And dont worry last year they ragged on Ted Nugent.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Red4arm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
I ask that he not be judged from one episode with some bad shots. He has a zest for living that I wish I possessed. He speaks from the heart and has a never giveup attitude. We all would be better of if we had a little more of that energy within us.
As far as shows go, Its Tred or just another canned hunt on a preserve. You pick.

Offline tradhunter1995

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »
im 16 and i hunt with a longbow,and you know what made me switch from a compound to a longbow?tred barta,in my opinion a damn great hunter,he is my idol for hunting.

Offline MERGANZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:00 PM »
One also has to remember that the camera often makes shots look much further than they are.  Watch a waterfowl video and you would think they are dropping mallards at 90 yds.  Some of his shots are questionable and I dont know his confidence level.  I just started trad gear last summer and missed last october at 18 yds.  Maybe 18 is too far for me?  Tred seems to have a very large heart and seems to genuinely care for sportsmen in general.  I dont think her would do anything to ever tarnish the sport.  I wish there were more trad shows out there to watch so I will  watch his when I can.  I do have a lot of respect for him because most people with that predicament would sit in their homes moping and feeling sorry for themselves but not him!  He will not be denied from his passion.  Gotta love that about anyone.  Just my opinion though

Ganzer

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2011, 05:19:00 PM »
Tred is a great example before the stroke and definatly after. I would welcome him to my home in a heartbeat. I would love for my son to meet him.

On one of his shows he was hunting black bear in Canada with dogs. When the dogs treed a bear the effort and time that his friends/guide took to get him to the bear in his wheel over the rough terrain was very inspriring to me. I recorded and showed it to my wife and son.

Right or wrong I admire someone who is willing to stand for what he feels is right. Compared to most other hunting shows who don't really stand for anything unless it sells.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline chopx2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2011, 08:57:00 PM »
Originally posted by amicus:
When the dogs treed a bear the effort and time that his friends/guide took to get him to the bear in his wheel over the rough terrain was very inspriring to me. I recorded and showed it to my wife and son.
I did the same in between tears. I still have it recorded and his TX Whitetail hunt.
TGMM-Family of the Bow

The quest to improve is so focused on a few design aspects & compensating for hunter ineptness as to actually have reduced a bow & arrow’s effectiveness. Nothing better demonstrates this than mech. BHs & speed fixated designs

Offline JParanee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2011, 09:35:00 PM »
Fred bear
Howard hill
Paul Schafer
Barry wensel
Ben Pearson
Bill Negle

To name a few have all shot game moving and at distances

Why don't u high and mightys give Tred  a break he has done a lot for the hunting and fishing world and he deserves our respect
Morrison & Titan ILF & BF Extreme Limbs
Silvertip 1 Piece 57#-Silvertip 57#-Black Widow Ma II 61#&69#-Fedora 560 69#- 560 57#-560 60#-560 55#-Brakenbury Shadow 60#-Hoyt Buffalo 55#- Bob Lee 58#- fishing bows PSE's

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by JParanee:
Fred bear
Howard hill
Paul Schafer
Barry wensel
Ben Pearson
Bill Negle

To name a few have all shot game moving and at distances

Why don't u high and mightys give Tred  a break he has done a lot for the hunting and fishing world and he deserves our respect
I explained my reasons for my opinion. That you choose not to read it, or understand it and fail to respect it matters not to me. I respect yours.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
I met him quite a few times when I was living on LI and he is def a memorable guy. When you hear him give his disertation on hunting he doesnt say one thing or the other is bad, he states what do YOU consider fair chase?

We all on here chose to shoot Trad gear... That is our choice... And that's what makes this hunting thing great.... sooo many choices....
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »
One of the great things about bow hunting is that you are your own referee. None of us have an obligation to adopt another's ethic.

Our ethic forms from a variety of influences and can change over time due to experiences of our own or people we respect.

I think it is ok but not mandatory for one to explain why or why they don't do or attempt certain things. This is one of the ways we test and evolve our beliefs.  The social art when explaining our personal ethic is to do so without seeming to judge another.

I'd like to be a better artist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©