3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bow weight?  (Read 313 times)

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
bow weight?
« on: August 05, 2011, 05:33:00 PM »
Thinking about going up a little in draw weight.Right now am shooting 53-54# recurves.Was thinking maybe 58#.Would like a one bow setup deer,elk,hogs.I also like shooting 2 blade heads with bleeder blades.Any info would help
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline Prairie Drifter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bow weight?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 05:42:00 PM »
What you have will kill all that and more. But if you want a new bow, go ahead and get it!!
Maddog Bows (16)
Rocky Mnt Recurves(2)
Sierra Blanca Bows (2)
Mike B.

Offline BrushWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 05:53:00 PM »
My wife kind of said the same thing.All but the part about a new bow.lol
Kids who hunt, trap, & fish don't mug little old ladies.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »
"But if you want a new bow go ahead & get it!"...PD. Yep, I agree. You ain't askeered are ya? If going up in weight go up young man. I say 60# should be enough to talk her into it. If not, I'll write you a note.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:28:00 PM »
Or you could go the other way and go down a few pounds and have a 3-D and deer bow and use the heavier one for elk. Of course that's two bows and not the one bow setup you mentioned.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »
Decisions..Decisions...Decisions....

Oh my!!!!

The planning and anticpation is in many cases the greater thrill.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Javi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
ain't it fun   :D
Mike "Javi" Cooper
TBoT Member

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 10:45:00 PM »
I wholeheartedly support you... and remember... occasionally getting a new bow a little heavier than your last one will mean that it will be a lot cheaper when you get older and start dropping a few pounds of draw weight every so many years or so!

Heck, you're saving money in the long run... it's an investment... hummm... I'm about due for a five pound jump too...
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I am at the age where I am having to go down in weight. I say go for it and enjoy it while you can.
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 08:03:00 AM »
I was going to suggest to go up to a 60#'er because 4 more pounds does not seem to warrant buying another bow.

But then I thought about my own progression in buying bows:
45 to 60 to 55 to 51 to 56. :-)

If you want another bow and can afford it, go for it and get what you want.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline WRV

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »
THis is why I am hooked on Aleve
Morrison Cheyenne TD 60" 50@28
Black Widow PSAX 60" 53@28
BUNCHA BIGHORNS
Genesis 27:3

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 09:30:00 AM »
Absolutely try it if its what you want. Just make sure you can shoot the heavier bows accurate. If not, don't kid yourself, shoot what you are good at. Who knows, maybe you are like Raging Water and can draw 100 pounds with just your little finger?
David M. Conroy

Offline rolltidehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
DO IT!

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2011, 11:11:00 AM »
If you want a new bow then talk to the wife and buy what you can afford.  Enjoy the search and the pleasure of owning a new bow.

If your worried about having enough weight for elk, don't waste your time on a heavier bow. I hunt elk with a 55lb R/D longbow every year.  My wife hunts them with a 40 lb R/D longbow.  A portion of the bow money could be spent on optimizing your arrows, and the rest on an elk hunt.

With elk it is really important to be a good shot, hit what your looking at, and most particularly use a heavy enough arrow.  If you search here there are a lot of posts about how much speed you gain by going up 5 lbs in bow weight.  The few feet per second gained is not enough to justify the purchase.  

Having said all that, I love getting new bows.  You have me thinking I need to buy another one myself.  So..... if you want it and can shoot that weight buy away and head west young man head west.  For elk that is.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 11:54:00 AM »
Originally posted by BrushWolf:

Thinking about going up a little in draw weight.Right now am shooting 53-54# recurves.Was thinking maybe 58#.Would like a one bow setup deer,elk,hogs.I also like shooting 2 blade heads with bleeder blades.Any info would help
You already have in your 53#-54# bows what you "need" to kill deer, elk and hogs. You just "want" a new bow in 58#. That's it in a nut shell.

As for a 2 blade broadhead with bleeder blades, your present 53#-54# bows can handle that too for deer, elk and hogs.

Steel Force, Muzzy, Magnus, Eclipse and Zephyr all make 2 blade broadheads with bleeder blades.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
Buy a new bow, Buy a new bow, Buy a new bow....that is what rings in my head all the time.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 12:38:00 PM »
53#'s is plenty of wieght if your already comfortable with it, i'd stay with it.

My favorite bow was my SA111 59#@29" 62" i traded to a Back Doctor in Lex NC several yrs ago.

Even though i could no longer shoot it, i should've kept it and wished i had it back.

If you want a 58# bow, then by all means get one.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
Come on guys BrushWolf told his wife that his bows weren't enough for elk...he definitely needs a "More Powerful" one.    :thumbsup:
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
If you can shoot a 58 to 60 pound bow as well as your 53 pound bow, then by all means do it. I don't agree with some folks who say that an archer can always shoot a lighter weight bow better. Obviously, a lighter poundage bow is easier to draw, but I shoot a 70 pound bow as well as a 45 pound bow if I don't have to shoot lots of arrows in a short period of time. Typically, heavier draw weight bows do not shoot the same arrows lots faster than a lighter draw weight bow; they shoot the same gpp (heavier) arrows at the same speed, which gives better penetration. Your 53 pound bow will give you all the penetration you need for the animals you named. However, there is no such thing as having too much power for killing an animal. There is only too much poundage for the archer to shoot a bow well. It is good to remember that Fred Eichler did the North American Super Slam where he killed all 29 species of animals with a 54 pound Palmer recurve. He does have a long draw length, which helps, but the poundage of his bow shows you have enough in your existing bow for the game you are hunting.

I really like Clay's comments and those of everyone else here. I am only echoing them.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 02:32:00 PM »
When I told my wife I was thinking of getting a second take down recurve, my wife said to me, "Do you "need" it?"     :confused:    I told her the truth which was, "No, I don't need it, but I "want" one badly."     :readit:  

On a sidenote, I knew there would be payback. When my wife told me she was going on a week's ship cruise with her sister and her two nieces to Alaska, I told her to........have a great time.     :D
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©