3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ontario Bear Hunt 2011 (we're back-pic heavy)  (Read 2145 times)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ontario Bear Hunt 2011 (we're back-pic heavy)
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2011, 10:48:00 AM »
5-bedrooms,large living room,kitchen,2-showers/toilets. What more could a hunter ask for.

We got there at around 9:30 pm and sat down with a cold one. Not long after out arrival we meet our guide,JF.(his girlfriend Jen)

“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:00 AM »
We got a good nights sleep and woke on 8-14-11 to get gear ready and go check baits and hang stands.

Michael unpacking/organizing his bow.

“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2011, 10:51:00 AM »
This is just a sight that any bear should fear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :scared:  

Online wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2011, 10:55:00 AM »
It's awesome to check on this and see it's going great! Man how I'd love to hunt bears some day...I think I'll start some research on a hunt for next fall!   :campfire:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2011, 11:00:00 AM »
We all ventured out to our bait sites to check and pick baits. 3 of 4 had been hit the night before which was a good sign.

Here is my stand that I would also call home for an extended period of time.

Lucky me,everybody else had the metal ladder stands. I pick the one with a pallet in the tree.   :knothead:  

Keep the image of the tree to the right where the seat is. It will come into play later.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Now its getting good.That looks like a real comfortable stand.  :laughing:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
Now I always bring my own stand whenever I go hunting. I let the guide talk me into using this stand instead of my own. Plus,I'm a whitetail hunter and being only 10 feet off the ground was just not what I was used to.

Bad move..............for my butt that is.

Here is a pic of my bait barrel from the stand. 13 yards to the barrel.

Keep in mind our baits were 25 miles one way from camp. 7 on main road and 18 on a dirt road. My poor black truck paid the price...

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2011, 11:18:00 AM »
OK, stands done,we headed back to camp to get licenses,eat and relax.

Michael taking a break and Rob cooking up some grub.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
The guide informed us that a couple of the baits were also being hit early in the AM so we all decided to go on stand in the dark and sit all day.
Yes,the possibility of sitting 15 hours on that wooden platform made me wish I would have hung my Gorilla.  :banghead:  

0500 came way too early on Monday the 15th.......

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2011, 11:38:00 AM »
Monday 8-15-11 0600

Opening day found us heading to our stands. We took one quad and the truck and headed out. Once at the crossroads, myself and Michael would take the bike and the other guys would continue with the truck.

I dropped Michael at his bait trail head and headed to mine. Heres me checking the barrel and throwing more bait in. A little depressing that it had not been hit last night but thats hunting.

This pic was taken from my trail cam that I had set up the day before.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »
I mentioned my secret bait early on. Not much of a secret but something I wanted to use. If you look on the ground around the bait you will see the big white dots. Those are giant marshmallows that are soaked in  vanilla extract. These wound up working better than planned.  :bigsmyl:  

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
I climbed into my stand and now the wait begins......  :coffee:

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2011, 11:53:00 AM »
My wait would be short lived. At about 0620 just as daylight set in I hear a noise coming from the pines to the right of the barrel.

Now those who have bear hunted know that it's odd for a bear to make noise coming into a bait. I dont know how they do it with the thick forage and all,but one minute they are not there,the next they are. Like ghosts.

Anyhow, I hear this noise coming to me so I grab my bow. Figuring maybe I have a clumsy bear. Through the trees I see a black flash on the ground. Bear foot for sure......

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2011, 11:55:00 AM »
:eek:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
My heart is pumping through my chest as I await my quary. He sure as heck was taking his time. I check my wind puffer and the wind was in my face. All is good, now just wait Mike.

I stand and wonder,how big is he? will I shoot him? Is it maybe a cub? Will my shot be true?

I catch a glimpse at the base of the pines and see that black paw looking thing again. Then all at once he steps out!!!!!

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
My excitement went from an adrenaline high to a giant release of a huge breath. All I was thinking now was please dont spray me in this short stand.
Old peppy gave me a good rush for sure.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »
After peppy ate on some of my marshmallows he left me to wait some more.
Thank God for the grinnys or my day would have been longer than it already was. I enjoyed watching them play around the bait while I waited.

At about 11:30 the guide came in to check on me and freshen up the site with some chicken grease. A welcome sight cause I had to stretch my legs a bit.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2011, 12:08:00 PM »
I walked to the truck with him just to stretch my legs a bit and get rid of my morning coffee. My little jug was already full!

10 minutes later I was back on my stand....

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
During our chat the guide informed me that one of the other hunters in our group(not a trad guy) had stuck a good bear. Heres a trail cam pic of that bear the night before.

Unfortunately this bear was never recovered. This is just to show you that these guys have some nice bear up there. They had one weigh in at 470 last year. That is a full size 55 gallon drum there.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2011, 12:20:00 PM »
Back to my story.......

The hours ticked by and I started to get sleepy. Not to mention this stand was THE most uncomfortable stand I have ever sat.
Because the seat was at a different angle than the platform I could not lean against the tree. So I started standing on the seat in the right hand corner and leaning against the tree. Keep in mind my bow was hanging lower than me now.  
Again, this would play an important roll later...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©