3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: AUCTUAL draw length what an eye opener!!!!!!  (Read 652 times)

Re: AUCTUAL draw length what an eye opener!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 08:28:00 PM »
I just GAINED 2 inches in my draw length in the last year. I have been studying real hard and learning how to use back tension correctly and I have gone fron just under 28" to a solid 29.5" DL and am loving it. Part of my learning included a trip to a 2 day Rod Jenkins shooting clinic.

Bisch

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 08:42:00 PM »
My observations are that a large percentage of shooters draw shorter than they think by an inch or more .

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »
I measured well ........I had Ken draw an arrow to full draw and hold, I marked the arrow in front of the riser with a marker. I had him do it 3 times. I was a toolmaker for 38 years ....I CAN read a ruler. He draws his bow like he has T-Rex arms   :biglaugh:  I have watched him for a while now and knew he was dreaming when he said he drew 28". Now the he knows.........Most people look at me and tell me there is no way I can draw 29+". Then they give me an arrow and I anchor, the arrow is almost of the back of the shelf. Everybody is different!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:00 PM »
the problem RIGHT NOW is i'm shooting really well and hunting season is just around the corner, i really do not want to tinker with form. anyone that has watched me shoot can see i bend/slump over A LOT. i am sure that is where i will start and have Kat give me a hand.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Ranger44

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »
This seems like a good reminder to take a look at the end of your arrow when you draw once in a while.  If it's got a lot of length hanging over the shelf you might be drawing short. I know I draw short when my form goes bad.  Well, that's one of the things I do wrong.  :)

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 09:22:00 PM »
I couldn't agree with you more Ken.

Hunting season is almost upon us, and you have the accuracy to get the job done.
Ken Thornhill

Offline Frenchymanny

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 09:39:00 PM »
Yes brother, soon the fall will be on us  :)   :)
Can't wait for October

F-Manny
Coureur des Bois
Big Jim: Buffalo Bows 62" 60@27 & 65@27 ThunderChilds 56" 62@27 & 62@27 Desert BigHorn 59@27
ML, Shrew &TC Knives
With a sturdy bow, a true shaft, and a stout heart, we journey forth in
search of adventure.

Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 09:56:00 PM »
I just put a clicker on for the first time at Denton. I couldnt believe the speed i was getting from my arrows. I picked up 3 inches of draw.

Offline dixiearcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
I shot 28" with a compound and release before switching to trad...now I draw an even 26"
Preach the gospel, die, and be forgotten
-Count von Zinzendorf

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 10:08:00 PM »
If Ken could get 3" more that would get him to an honest 26+"....lol! Next we could get him some big boy pants   :laughing:  ...I love ya bud!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2011, 10:13:00 PM »
I'm definitely not saying you can't measure, Ron. Just that his short draw is likely a form issue, and he basically agreed that it is. If Ken is satisfied with his shooting and form, then fine. If he wants to gain some draw length and zip with his current setup he can tweek his form. It's all good. Hey, buy a heavier bow if you want. Lord knows I do it often enough.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 10:22:00 PM »
I have a very simple draw check. My arrows are 33" to the BOP. I shoot with a closed hand grip on my bow hand. When I reach full draw the back edge of the broadhead or field tip is touching the top edge of my index finger as I come to anchor in the corner of my mouth.

Offline swampdrummer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 10:27:00 PM »
My very first thought when I read this was. Get to a Rod Jenkins clinic. But if your shooting good now, wait till after the season is over!
Back Tension BEFORE Back Strap !

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »
it is amazing i know. it all depends on you shooting style i guess. if you strech out or hunch up... i think poundage has alot to do with it too. you shoot a bow thats lighter to you and you will streatch out as compared to being tense and crunched up.

Ken you should post up a couple full draw pic of yourself... be intrested to see
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline Gatekeeper

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »
This seems odd. You thought you were drawing 28" but you're really drawing 23.5"? So you have approximately 5"+ of arrow sticking out in front of your bow when you're at full draw?
TGMM Family of the Bow   A member since 6/5/09

“I can tell by your hat that you’re not from around here.”

Casher from Brookshires Food Store in Albany, Texas during 2009 Pig Gig

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 06:56:00 AM »
it is definitly a form issue i will address after hunting season. i have a solid anchor but use an extreme bend when i shoot. i'll take some form pic's later but this is nothing i want to takcle with deer season around the corner.

a video from frog hunting

I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 07:29:00 AM »
I'm with ya... I'm 6'3 260 people look at me like you must have a 30 in draw... Which I did w a compound, I thought I was pulling 28 with my long bow lol upon studying a video of me shoot looks more like 27 , my arrows shafts are 28.5 inches.

Hey this is the best I've shot ever might work on back tension a LIL bit but not goin to change much...

Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline Badwithabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
My bad double post
Brandon Moore
Rome,Ga

Offline Swamp Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2011, 10:21:00 AM »
I'm always amazed at how may people I see seriously short drawing at 3D shoots.  By that I mean no physical anchor at all.  But a lot of them rack up some pretty respectable scores anyway.  If you study many of the old native american bows, they were just too short to ever be drawn to what we consider full draw; but they worked.  The longer I'm in this game the more I believe form has little to do with accuracy for a truely instinctive shooter.  Sling shots, baseballs, etc... all work well with a large variety of styles.  If you're hitting where you're looking with a 24" draw, I wouldn't try to "fix" it this close to hunting season either.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
- William Arthur Ward
Black Widow PSAV 42#@29
Collection of Red Wing Hunters
Northern Mist Superior 43#@28
Blue Ridge Snowy Mt 51#@30"

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 12:10:00 PM »
I got just the opposite, I drew 27.5"s with the compound and now draw just shy of 29"s with my trad bows! I do not know how you ever got decent arrow flight with that much of a difference. I mean your 56# at 28" bow is closer 43-44#s now.  Did he measure to back of bow, if he measured deepest part of the grip you have to add 1.75"s or so. Something seems strange, you not a real small guy. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©